dimensions of Dapol 'private owner' wagons

PeterR

Hi,

Can I ask if anyone can give me the length of the sides of the Dapol 5 & 7 plank, and their Salt wagons please?

These are is what Robbies Rolling stock use for their transfers (you need to paint the sides white  as he does not use an Alps printer, thus the white will then show through, and you 'paint match the ends to suit). The reason is so I can work out if they can be used for pre-group purposes.

Thank You, in advance.

Yours Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Can I ask if anyone can give me the width of the Dapol 5 & 7 plank, and their Salt wagons please?

These are is what Robbies Rolling stock use for their transfers (you need to paint the sides white  as he does not use an Alps printer, thus the white will then show through, and you 'paint match the ends to suit). The reason is so I can work out if they can be used for pre-group purposes.

Thank You, in advance.

Yours Peter.

I have a 5 plank and a 7 plank in front of me.

Width of 5 plank = 30.7mm

Width of 7 plank = 30.0mm

(not counting any strapping/corner ironware)

Note they are not the same length either.

5 plank = 69.2mm

7 plank = 63.7mm

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

Thank yo for the measurements, you don't have the Salt van measurements do you?.

Yours Peter.

Sorry, no salt wagons.

Those wagons i measured were both limited edition "Cadbury" from different times.

The underframes, apart from the length, are quite different in construction.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Can I ask if anyone can give me the length of the sides of the Dapol 5 & 7 plank, and their Salt wagons please?

Thank You, in advance.

Yours Peter.

I don't know the exact measurements, but Dapol's Salt van is based on an old Hornby Dublo design which was originally made over-length to fit their standard wagon chassis. The chassis Dapol use under these is derived from the old Airfix range which matches the length of the body. Therefore, the Salt vans are longer overall than the prototype, and the chassis used represents a 10' wheelbase steel underframe whereas the real things had wooden underframes of 9' wheelbase.

The position regarding 5 and 7-plank opens is more complex because some Dapol models have the same chassis/length issues describe above but they use a correct 9' wheelbase "wooden" one (originally developed for the rectangular tank wagons IIRC) under others.

These wagons are naturally shorter (by 4 or 6mm) than the ones on "steel" underframes so you really need to come to an absolutely clear understanding with whoever is going to print the models for you as to which mouldings he will be using.

John 

• 2 weeks later...

I think all the PO wagons are approximating the RCH 1923 standards, not the1907 standards, so strictly speaking none of them are suitable for pre-grouping sadly.

Archived