Ixion hudswell clarke sound & smoke possible?

Derbys65

Hi guys , I have a couple of the Brilliant Ixion hudswell Clarke , wondered if anyone knew of Anyone who would fit smoke units ?, found plenty who fit sound but after smoke too, seen an excellent one on you tube .

Thanks in advance

Have seen the YouTube vid by the guy in western Australia with the smoke fitted Ixion H/C and it looks like the funnel has started to Melt/started to lean due to the heat, so would need replacing with a turned brass item.

Also Martin is right about having to machine a large amount from the chassis casting in the smoke box.

Also something to think about with smoke is the fine layer of oil that gets on everything as the smoke is produced by heating a light oil based fluid, whilst it takes a while eventually it will become noticeable esp on the loco itself.

I would just start with sound and if you decide you want to modify the loco with brass funnel and the other work later then tackle the smoke then.

Delighted you are a happy owner. Just remember that hacking away large chunks of metal will invalidate the warranty. Personally, I don't like smoke. Like water, it doesn't scale down in appearance and is unconvincing to my eye. That said, my first ever model locomotive was a Trian-Hornby Jinty in the Car-a-Belle trainset for Christmas 1964 and the Synchrosmoke was fantastic to my 6 year-old eye.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

"Found a company that did smoke but wanted £90 for a new chimney!"

I have the upper part of my chimney left over; it was part of the 'collateral damage':

GCR278Salvage.jpg

Any use, or is it the lower part (ie the saddle that is an integral part of the plastic smokebox) that has given way? David

Archived