RMweb

New 7mm scale Class 47 diesel kit from JLTRT

steve fay

Hi guys I'm back and on another mission, this time it's the class 47. I think it's about time we had an up to date multi media easy build kit of probably Britains most successful diesel.

Whilst the Heljan model is nice it lacks detail around the bogie areas. Having said that they still change hands for good money and I still get asked if I can get them direct form Heljan even though they have been sold out for years.

Here the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brand-new-O-gauge-class-47-kit/363146810554370?ref=bookmarks

So if your on there and would like one please join or you can give us a comment on here. post-5983-0-56148700-1430399188.jpg

If we can get enough interested I will pass the info on to the relevant kit manufacturers and hopefully it will get done.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 5

Doesn't David Parkin do a set of replacement bogie frames under the MMP label?

Having said that a new kit for a reasonable price would be very well received. It would need for the various mods over the years

Paul R

• Like 2

Hi Steve, an excellent idea, for me the best looking 7mm class 47 is the DJH kit but from what I've read the moulds are starting to wear out and the price has gone up!

I've often wondered why JLTRT haven't added one to their range considering Mr Waterman still owns 47402.

Rob

• Like 2

Yes the MMP detailing kit is very nice and makes a big difference to the Heljan 47 especially if you add the laser cut glazing from intentio.

I'm not sure the MMP detailing kit is available any more though.

If we do get a good multi media kit it should allow for the detail variations to be accommodated quite easily and of course the easy build nature of the kit will allow it to be assembled by moderately skilled modellers.

• Like 2

Hi Steve, an excellent idea, for me the best looking 7mm class 47 is the DJH kit but from what I've read the moulds are starting to wear out and the price has gone up!

I've often wondered why JLTRT haven't added one to their range considering Mr Waterman still owns 47402.

Rob

Hopefully we can change that!!

• Like 1

No I'm not only thinking JLTRT.

I'm sure the MMP kit will be superb, when it will appear is known only to MMP. The detail kit for the Heljan model makes a massive difference especially if combined with the laser cut glazing from intentio.

Personally for my own skill level I would be a lot more confident building a JLTRT kit as their latest offerings have hardly any soldering requirements and I think that will appeal to a lot of new 7mm modellers who are building up a collection of RTR loco's and may have only built a few wagon kits.

Those with the required skill may still want to build the MMP kit as they enjoy the building process as much as the end result.

Edited by steve fay

Hi Steve, thank heavens somebody is thinking about doing this, I am in the market for a couple ... I would rather go with the JLTRT type kits, as you say a lot easier to work with, so count me in please.

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

I'm trying to see if there's enough people who would like to see a kit made available for the class 47. If there is I will pass this information on to the relevant kit manufacturers and hopefully it will get done.

The kit manufacturers won't to know that if they produce a kit it will sell in sufficient numbers to warrant the investment.

Am I hoping that it will be Just like the real thing who make it? Yes.

Edited by steve fay

I'd say yes, but JLTRT kits are just too overpriced for me.

£450 and you still need wheels, motors, gearboxes (or full motorised bogies), lighting modules and pickups. By the time you've done the price could be north of £800!!!!!!!!!!

And would still need to be built and painted........

I can't do anything about price I'm afraid Jeff. The only thing I can say is the JLTRT kits are more expensive probably because of the amount of work that's already been done regarding the resin moulds. This makes it a lot easier to build but comes at a price.

Personally I would Pay the extra for the easy build nature of the kit.

I suppose that's the option we have.

There will be the possibility to buy the MMP kit which I expect will be cheaper but I know I don't have the skill to build it so I would have to get some One else too which would cost quite a bit for such a detailed kit. Probably quite a bit more in the long run.

That's why I believe there is a good market for an easy build option of this loco. RTR is becoming very popular and new 7mm modellers who might not have the nessesary skills to tackle a largely solder based kit and are more used to plastic wagon kits.

Edited by steve fay

Steve, I admire what you're trying to do here, but are you acting on behalf of JLTRT? I know you have a very good relationship with Mr Waterman, so I'm just a little dubious as to what this is exactly. For example, if you're doing market research on behalf of JLTRT then you should be upfront about it.

Also, how long will this take to come to market? It's all very good to hand over a list of people willing to buy something, but it still has to be evaluated, designed, and manufactured. That's easily a year's worth of work before a kit is released. Unless, what you're actually saying is that a kit has been designed, but is there a market for it?

I'm not knocking what you're doing or saying, so please don't get me wrong, but it seems you had a particular manufacturer in mind from the outset, which makes me a little curious. If you're able to influence a company's output with public demand, then I'm all for it – well done you!

No I'm not marketing on behalf of JLTRT.

As you may have seen with some of my other plans I have now got the numbers together to get MOK to do the 15xx pannier tank, hopefully the S160 will appear through Pete Harvey and the 94 pannier is under way with just like the real thing.

The sole purpose of this is I can go back to JLTRT and say look I've spoken to X amount of people who have said they would be interested in purchasing a kit of the 47 then there's a very good chance it will happen as did with the 94 pannier.

I like a few others are surprised giving there range of diesels that it's not part of the range already. I lean more towards there kits because I'm confident in building them my self.

It's no secret that Pete & I are friends but I'm doing this completely off my own back with no involvement from them. As I said I want to be able to say we have X amount who would buy a 47 does this make it commercially viable if yes then I get to build a loco I want for my self.

• Like 1

As you may have seen with some of my other plans I have now got the numbers together to get MOK to do the 15xx pannier tank, hopefully the S160 will appear through Pete Harvey and the 94 pannier is under way with just like the real thing.

The sole purpose of this is I can go back to JLTRT and say look I've spoken to X amount of people who have said they would be interested in purchasing a kit of the 47 then there's a very good chance it will happen as did with the 94 pannier.

I like a few others are surprised giving there range of diesels that it's not part of the range already. I lean more towards there kits because I'm confident in building them my self.

It's no secret that Pete & I are friends but I'm doing this completely off my own back with no involvement from them. As I said I want to be able to say we have X amount who would buy a 47 does this make it commercially viable if yes then I get to build a loco I want for my self.

The Class 47 is a significant ommission from the current range of 7mm RTR and kit diesels.

The Class 47 is a significant ommission from the current range of 7mm RTR and kit diesels.

Steve, on a different note ... How about getting Heljan to do another (Improved) run of their 47, which would I assume sell very well, if they can produce just 750 Falcon's. there must be a new market for the 47 again.

Cheers, Bob.

Steve, on a different note ... How about getting Heljan to do another (Improved) run of their 47, which would I assume sell very well, if they can produce just 750 Falcon's. there must be a new market for the 47 again.

Cheers, Bob.

I have mentioned it but I didn't get much of a response, an up to date model from Heljan would be great but it probably wouldn't include the later variations. I suppose that's where a kit would cover all the bases.