Drivers Wanted

What if anything has anyone done to put scale figures behind the wheel in 4mm or smaller.

I have only done one vehicle and that was an MG-TC which has a Preiser driver chopped off at the knees.

What is anyone else doing to rectify this situation.

best

Hi Ken,

What i did, which i have applied to diesel locos and passenger coaches too, is get a pack of 120 Prieser unpainted SEATED figures, do a "bulk paint" of the various figures while they're still on the sprue (by which i mean, paint all the faces, hands, arms, feet - flesh, then do a load of denim blue for trousers, skirts, jackets, Beige coats, dresses etc!).

Then all you do is select suitable poses for drivers/passengers, dismantle the vehicle (while i'm about it, paint the interior too), fit the people and re-assemble.

I believe that doing it that way, the figures only cost about 20p each! Some even have arms to glue on yourself so you can pose them and what i also do is take needle nose pliers and bend arms into a better pose! Sadly, i very often have to do plenty of amputations as well - usually at the knee!

Hope This Helps,

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

6026 has certainly hit the nail on the head for affordability - and ensuring unique models, too. I've often wondered about the passenger thing - you can no longer shunt the stock to the sidings! Unless, of course, you pretend that those in the coaches are the cleaners. I used to find if I went into the carriage shed there'd be a flurry of door banging, which was the signal that the boss was about, and everyone look busy!

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

All of my vehicles have people on board. I use Prieser people but i just spray them dark grey. To me its about having a shape in the cab and not lots of colour. I might pick out faces etc but thats about it.

HTH

Jim

Not all is as dire as I first thought.

Oxford Diecast now attaches the floor of their vehicles with screws. While RMWeb was away in Limbo I managed to insert a cab driver in my low loader cab. The Figure came from a long gone set of seated circus spectators that I bought about 20 years ago. All the men wear hats and suits of some sort so they are good for prior to the bareheaded sixties. I had to surgically reduce the figures posterior a lot so he would fit under the steering wheel. The circus spectator set also had a good selection of "Miss Marple" types seated wearing coats with hats that populated my GWR B set quite nicely.

I looked closer at a Pocket Bond Classix for hire car and noticed there was a black plastic rather tiny driver at the wheel. Cabs and for hire cars would most likely have a driver even when parked at a station. Their new 1937 Vauxhall has no figures in the cab or private auto version.

An even cheaper source of seated people is a Life Like set I found of 72 seated people. Unfortunately mostly bare headed and lots are couples seated rather affectionately close. There were also a lot of rather delicate benches in the package. Cost me only $9.00 US. I had originally bought them to populate my Devon Belle observation. Just another project that languishes.

So it is drivers and passengers wanted.

Archived