Portable Layouts - Keeping Delicate Bits Safe

Those who have been following my blog - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1330-the-cuckmere-valley-railway/- will know that my in-progress layout is portable. The reasons for this are, I suspect, common to other people - we rent with vague hopes of moving whenever Rightmove delivers something reasonable and have two young children who spread themselves out all over the house!

As a result, 'Litlington' currently lives on end in the hall and is worked on by laying the board on the lounge floor.

Now that the wiring works and ballasting is slowly coming on, I have begun to put in the basic landscaping and structural support. What concerns me though is those bits which are essential, but equally, won't take too kindly to bashing about. Structures can, and have been, made removeable, which is fine, but there are other scenics which I am not sure how to treat.

For example; Level Crossing - there is a kit from MSE which makes up into the right style for my LBSC prototype, as seen in another form on Geoff Forster's terrific Llangunlo; http://radnorailways.blogspot.co.uk/- but this will, surely, not take too kindly to the current 'home' for the layout. There are other things which will eventually be needed too that come into the same boat - telegraph poles, fencing, point rodding (maybe!) etc.

Is there an easy way of protecting such items without making them removable, or is it just a case of being very, very careful and perhaps trying to find somewhere a little more permanent?

With two baseboards it's easy you can mount them face to face, I am in a similar position with my layout at the moment and it is sensible to have some form of cover. this not only protects the fixtures but keeps dust out.

post-18627-0-49832900-1430604199_thumb.jpg

Thin ply bolted to both boards keeps them tidy and protected.

With only one board I would form some sort of covered frame, even if it's only cardboard and thin timber, to protect thing from getting accidental damage.

There is then the question of removable buildings, which are just as susceptible to damage, I am investing in 'Really Useful' boxes suitable for the largest building and standardising on them so they will stack. Foam rubber inserts should then keep things safe, even if you move.

Another thing I am finding, as I get closer to finishes, is that you tend to pick up the boards by the edges, and this will cause damage to scenics. I have adapted some handles to fit onto battens that again fit in the threaded inserts in the board edge, and allow the boards to be picked up without touching the surface.

post-18627-0-02749600-1430605045_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I agree totally with Peter220950.  Boxing up the layout when not in use is the way to go, and if you have the room, making the boxes big enough so that buildings do not need to be removed can be a great time saver when setting up and packing away.  It also means that the fine detail on the buildings are less vulnerable to damage when lifting on and off the layout.

• RMweb Gold

I agree totally with Peter220950.  Boxing up the layout when not in use is the way to go, and if you have the room, making the boxes big enough so that buildings do not need to be removed can be a great time saver when setting up and packing away.  It also means that the fine detail on the buildings are less vulnerable to damage when lifting on and off the layout.

Hi Guys,

Looks like it might end up exhibition worthy so, like the idea but, with two layers it fits height-wise into the car.  If buildings were also made permanent then it might well be too high to get in.  Add to the fact that it might become rather heavy you will also need a willing helper to take the other end to avoid minimise damage.

Having said that yes, it is a constant problem with things like lights that are very easily damaged on constant moving about and the 'little' essential items that the glue suddenly stops holding!

Cheers, Peter BB

On my Whitecross Street, a small city terminus, I have track in a 'cutting' and some tall buildings over the tracks. The buildings are deliberately made removeable, they sit on foamboard bases, and sit in recesses. They are stored/transported in a 64Litre Really Useful box. If they were fixed the risk of damage would be high. I had intended to store/transport the boards in the classic face to face way, but due to an design error in setting out they have to be transported singly. Oooops!

Nevertheless the more fragile scenic additions at track level are somewhat protected by the rigid ply backscene and other permanent fairly strong bridge structures.

John

Don't forget to box in the underside (where all those dangly bits dangle) prying hands and all that as it is so easy to pull a wire and disconnect something important. Takes ages off the nest operating session as you try to figure out why something doesn't work as well as when you put it away.

Archived