Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Evening all,

Jeff, I really am jealous because I regret that my current medication knocks me out a bit at night (which is why they advise me to take it late evening!) and this means that I can no longer manage to stay outside for hours in the middle of the night! Particularly galling now that our local council have decided to save money by switching off all the street lamps at midnight, reducing the light pollution markedly! I also can't justify the expense, even with my great interest in astrophysics and the universe, so I'm afraid I shall have to stick to my puny Tasco and settle for becoming a moon worshipper! (Ashamed to mention the size!).

I would therefore be very grateful if you could fuel my interest by posting lots of images on here from time to time! I was simply astounded by the quality of the so-called amateur images of distant objects that were sent in to 'Jodrell Bank' for the recent programme hosted by Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox - these would have been impossible with a conventional camera?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

Evening all,

Jeff, I really am jealous because I regret that my current medication knocks me out a bit at night (which is why they advise me to take it late evening!) and this means that I can no longer manage to stay outside for hours in the middle of the night! Particularly galling now that our local council have decided to save money by switching off all the street lamps at midnight, reducing the light pollution markedly! I also can't justify the expense, even with my great interest in astrophysics and the universe, so I'm afraid I shall have to stick to my puny Tasco and settle for becoming a moon worshipper! (Ashamed to mention the size!).

I would therefore be very grateful if you could fuel my interest by posting lots of images on here from time to time! I was simply astounded by the quality of the so-called amateur images of distant objects that were sent in to 'Jodrell Bank' for the recent programme hosted by Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox - these would have been impossible with a conventional camera?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Not always Jock. While you will get a wide angle view even with a telephoto lens, (tripod essential) by using the camera in RAW format and bracketing your exposures you stand a far better chance of getting the image you want. I also set the resolution to the higher settings (at least 600 dpi minimum) which gives you the opportunity for cropping the exposure. That's the advantage of the RAW format. Because you're working with purely digital data you can indulge in some pretty extensive cropping until you're satisfied before you convert to other formats without discernible loss in image quality!

Regards

Bill

Quick Tip: If you intend to produce prints of your photos, TIFF format produces a much better image than JPEG

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Have 12" is fine - but is it a long play?

Ooooh, you cheeky man....

More to the point - as the creator of Mankini Man - where would you hide it?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jock, I'll be happy to post any photos on here, if and when they're taken.

However, my telescope use is still going to be predominantly visual. Spent a happy 3 hours last night hunting down double stars, the odd open cluster and looking at Saturn, Jupiter and the Moon.

The gibbous moon's brightness precluded many deep-sky objects.

And this is with the "quick use" GoTo scope we've just acquired for a bit of fun. We really are spoilt these days - optical and electronic gear is so (relatively) cheap compared to when I was buying stuff in the 80s - and with a lot more functionality.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bill, your point about telescopes as cheapish long focal length telephotos is a good one. The 8" scope I bought in 1982 has a focal length of 2000mm and I used to (a long time ago) use it as a 40x telephoto for terrestrial use. Close ups of detail on buildings etc.

And the quality goes without saying - though it was essential to use the fork mount due to the weight. Sounds like your spotter scope is a folded Maksutov-Cassegrain design, undoubtedly good for your avian shots.

Folks, if the current telescopic/photographic discussion is a bit narrow for your tastes, please start something different to run parallel to this!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

This was the norm when I was living in Cumbria in the 60s/70s. Off went the lights and out blazed the stars!

I wish the councils over here would do the same. Even switching half of the (superfluous) lights would go a long way to help with the light pollution problem.

Jeff

Ooooh, you cheeky man....

More to the point - as the creator of Mankini Man - where would you hide it?

Jeff

I never hide my 12" Jeff.

In fact when the mood takes me, I slip it out of it's protection, and lay it on my turntable...

Oh, er, missus!

• RMweb Premium

I never hide my 12" Jeff.

In fact when the mood takes me, I slip it out of it's protection, and lay it on my turntable...

Oh, er, missus!

And do you find it gives you greater pleasure once it's rotating, rather than just sat there in its protection?

And btw, we ARE referring to vinyl LPs..... AREN'T WE?  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of interest, is anyone on here using a Canon EOS DSLR?

If so, does it had full manual control in the B (Bulb) setting - so the shutter can be held open for minutes at a time without running the battery down?

Jeff

• Like 1

Bill, your point about telescopes as cheapish long focal length telephotos is a good one. The 8" scope I bought in 1982 has a focal length of 2000mm and I used to (a long time ago) use it as a 40x telephoto for terrestrial use. Close ups of detail on buildings etc.

And the quality goes without saying - though it was essential to use the fork mount due to the weight. Sounds like your spotter scope is a folded Maksutov-Cassegrain design, undoubtedly good for your avian shots.

Folks, if the current telescopic/photographic discussion is a bit narrow for your tastes, please start something different to run parallel to this!

Jeff

Hummm! I hadn't actually thought of that Jeff! All this talk of comparing sizes and the best way to expose yourself could be considered rather risque! I If any ladies should chance by we'd have AndyY down on us like a ton of bricks!

So! An open question to my fellow inmates (and another theme close to Jeff's heart)! What is the best book you've ever read (i.e. your favorite) excluding, of course, those dealing with rail-guided transport systems in any shape, size or form! (Or that Lady Chatterley woman, the hussy!) and what is the worst book you've ever read, again excluding etc, etc.....

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3

If so, does it had full manual control in the B (Bulb) setting - so the shutter can be held open for minutes at a time without running the battery down?

Jeff

I must admit I haven't a clue Jeff having always been a Nikon man in the past. I know that their top-end cameras have full manual which doesn't help in the least! All I can suggest is you email these people http://www.canon.co.uk and ask the experts. Which model is it?

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I haven't a clue Jeff having always been a Nikon man in the past. I know that their top-end cameras have full manual which doesn't help in the least! All I can suggest is you email these people http://www.canon.co.uk and ask the experts. Which model is it?

Regards

Bill

Nothing specific at the moment, Bill. And it wouldn't have to be a Canon. However, when I buy a DSLR it must have full manual B setting as the exposure times can be longer than the 15-30 seconds that electronic shutters usually stretch to.

I used an OM2 for over 30 years - film, of course - and never had to contend with the digital business. Point-and-shoot Compacts are far too limited for what I'll be aiming to do.

As for the book, talk about asking the impossible!! I've a couple of thousand on my shelves but do you want Fiction or Reference? Still a difficult choice! As for worst book - I wouldn't be able to answer that as I'd probably not have read it. Having said that, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" (given to me by my ex fiancee) could well qualify. A pile of absolute sh1te. 

Jeff

• Like 3

My favourite book/read would have to be "the hitch hikers guide" 'trilogy'! I can remember laughing a LOT to Monty Pythons "life of Brian" and also to Joseph Hellers "world according to Garp" but THHGTTG is the one I always think back to.

As for the worst, it had to be that Eric von Danniken chap we discussed previously, don't remember the title but was truly awful.

Mind, so was a book by L. Ron Hubbard that my mate brought back from the USA once, I only learned later that he only bought that so he could escape from them! Thinking it was a sci fi book, I did try and read it but it was carp!

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had to give a lot of my books away when we moved house last time but I kept hold of my favourites but to name my favourite of all the books I've read would be a struggle. So, here are a few favourites:

Fiction:

Grits by Niall Griffiths

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Train spotting by Irvine Welsh (blew me away when I first read it)

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Non-fiction: (both Vietnam War books)

A Bright, Shining Lie by Neil Sheehan

Dispatches by Michael Herr

• Like 2

Jeff

Yes, me. I have a 1200D

Like you I used the old OM2 for years and found it great at night and hope this one is too. I have just set it onto shutter priority mode and the maximum setting was for 30s, whether it can be set for longer I will have to check.

Amuse yourselves while I disappear for a few minutes..........

Right, I just set it to manual and when selecting the time it went to the 'B' setting after the 30s one and I set the camera for single shot and pressed the shutter, a timer popped up and kept going for well over a minute. Considering that I have not charged the camera for a few weeks I don't think it will run out of power.

Could show the result but it won't show anything against this white background :mosking:

Hope that's the info you needed Jeff and if you need to know more just ask.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jim, thanks for your effort on my behalf! There's no urgency here as I wouldn't be buying a DSLR until after I buy the larger telescope - whenever that might be. 

Exposure times for astro images taken through the telescope could last for a few minutes, so the B setting business is an important consideration. I'll do some Googling before I settle on a particular model.

Jeff

Jeff

It seems as if there is no maximum time for exposure so as long as it has power it's OK and the batteries seem to last a long time as long as it's not continually focusing

I've not had it that long myself so am still learning about it, a great bit of kit so far though and I do not regret upgrading from my bridge camera.

Jim

Nothing specific at the moment, Bill. And it wouldn't have to be a Canon. However, when I buy a DSLR it must have full manual B setting as the exposure times can be longer than the 15-30 seconds that electronic shutters usually stretch to.

I used an OM2 for over 30 years - film, of course - and never had to contend with the digital business. Point-and-shoot Compacts are far too limited for what I'll be aiming to do.

As for the book, talk about asking the impossible!! I've a couple of thousand on my shelves but do you want Fiction or Reference? Still a difficult choice! As for worst book - I wouldn't be able to answer that as I'd probably not have read it. Having said that, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" (given to me by my ex fiancee) could well qualify. A pile of absolute sh1te. 

Jeff

If you are still in the market Jeff I'd definitely have a look at the Nikon range, but I freely admit I'm biased because I used them exclusively for years (I'm currently using a Olympus 520 but my mate Stuart swears by his EOS 1!). My record was three D9's and attendant lenses, etc. Which probably explains why I have a bad back after lugging that lot around! A secret hint here: You'll find model numbers like D9 in the pro range and D900 in the serious enthusiast range (both now superseded!). The secret is that internally and functionally they are identical. The difference is in the body which on the pro camera is titanium and alloy-composite on the other (but still tough as blazes). That's something a lot of pro photographers on a budget have taken advantage off, especially when you consider the price difference of £1900+ and £900 for the body! I'd try popping into your nearest Wilkinson's shop and having a look at what's available. I've used a good few of their shops over the years and their staff have always proved to be top notch people. (it was the manager of the shop in Lancaster who suggested matching a 'scope to the camera including lugging a selection out into the street with a tripod for me to try out rather than trying to sell me a telephoto lens!). I can't recommend them highly enough

I've just noticed that I forgot to list my favorite books so here goes:

Best:

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (love it and I usually manage to read it at least once a year)

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (and practically every other Discworld novel!)

The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame (Chapter Nine must be one of the most moving pieces of prose in the English language!)

Watership Down by Richard Adams (Sorry Jeff!)

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Steven King (a story about a young girl who gets lost in a forest)

The Illustrated Atlas of the Universe by Mark A. Garlick (A journey starting with the Earth and Moon and gradually moving out through the Solar System and 

local neighborhood and ending

with the most distant objects detected to date. Loads of maps showing the relationships of everything discussed, written in a way which makes

everything clear without dumbing down and some truly stunning photographs. One I refer to constantly!

Worst:

Weiland, The Transformation. An American Tale by (Can't remember the Author!). American Gothic novel written in 1775 in which a group of friends are

menaced by a character called Carwin. Very much in the tradition of why use one word when you can use a hundred or more. Quick example:

The heroine is confronted in her bedroom by the villain when he

steps out of the closet. It takes a whole three pages to describe her reaction which in modern terms would translate to "I nearly cra**ed myself!"

Regards

Bill

Edited to correct RMWebs less than perfect formatting!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3

Books

I enjoyed the Duncton Chronicles by William Horwood and that encouraged me to read some of his other work and one of the best was Skallagrigg which I became thoroughly absorbed in and enjoyed.

Another book was Heart of the Valley by Nigel Hinton, a simple tale of nature and the Dunnock and its struggle through life, a small but entertaining read that reduced my missus to tears when she read it.

The worst, The Childrens Book by A S Byatt, one of the only books I have ever given up on, after 100 pages I got bored with it still introducing yet more characters but seemingly going nowwhere.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not prone to favourites but when I read the above suggestion one came instantly to mind.  I cannot remember the full title but it was on volcanoes by a chap called Jefferies.  A cousin gave it to me when I visited them in their first house circa 1957 and I started reading it on the train home.  It gave me an interest in geology ... another story  I do have a letter from the University of London staying that I was eligible for finals but never took them and ended up doing chemistry ... but volcanoes and geomorphology still interest me.  

Worst book - I have no idea because it would not have been worth remembering!

Peter 

• Like 3

Jeff

Evening Jeff. I changed to a Cannon EOS 550D a couple of years ago and definitely wouldn't use anything else. If you use a remote switch in Manual Bulb mode the shutter opens on the first press and releases on the second as long as the battery is charged. I take over 1000 photos a month and only have to charge the battery every 8 weeks or so.

Hope this helps

This was the norm when I was living in Cumbria in the 60s/70s. Off went the lights and out blazed the stars!

I wish the councils over here would do the same. Even switching half of the (superfluous) lights would go a long way to help with the light pollution problem.

Jeff

I guess it must be 10 or more years ago that our council switched off a lot of road lighting and it really did make a noticeable difference to the amount of light pollution, but sadly it is now worse then ever it was back then.

What surprises me is the number of households around me who have their internal lights on all through the night, plus outside yard lights and gardens full of those solar lights.  There are quite a mix of people as well, pensioners, working middle age people and a few with young families.  With the high cost of energy I would have thought that non essential lighting would be off but it certainly does not seem to be the case around here.

Jeff

Yes, an old 400D with a cable release.

When it comes to books I couldn't tell you what the best one is. I read a lot unfortunately these days the majority is work related.

My favourite is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I've had several copies that over the years fell apart from over reading. There was always a copy in my military kit when on exercise or deployed somewhere in the world. In fact I gave a (new) copy to my daughter for her 14th birthday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff just checked on my EOS 450D and the Bulb setting is there and it is unlikely to run out for quite a while. I used the B setting quite a bit on the old Cannon AE1 but digital cameras will work with much lower light levels so haven't used it.

Don