Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

As John said, "Mighty impressive!" Theres a certain cachet between looking at a photograph in a book and seeing one from one of your own gang that says 'Hey! This is real!' It does bring that amazing creation out there a bit closer to home! I'm beginning to wonder whether I should keep PSP for my own graphic's and send my own upcoming photos to Jeff for post-op processing!

Jock: I think were going to have to introduce Freddie to my youngest grandaughter Lucy. Three years old and as inquisitive as they come! Her favourite pastime when she's here is 'birdies' and she loves being on the Stone Jetty where we can watch them feeding at the waters edge, sometimes in their thousands, as the tide floods. Mind you! I dread to think how much I've spent on books to answer her when she pipes up with her usual, "What's that one called Granpa!" I like photographing them whem the mood strikes but when it comes to naming them......BLANK!!! You sometimes forget how expensive kids can be. On the other hand, it is rather cute when I tell her and she holds dolly up so that she can see too!

Regards

Bill

PS: Jeff. Don't forget you've still got to find the mice for Andrew! Keep your eyes on the skies!

• Like 4

Hi Guys, I'm BACK, and thanks for all your support over at YOU KNOW WHERE :no:  that I cant mention on here :O , but I have updated IT :O  today with some New Pics and Plans, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  (can I mention Plans on here Jeff) :protest: hahahah, Its great to be back and see those wonderful images full size and not on my phone, well done Jeff. :locomotive:  :locomotive:

I'm off for a full catch up later this evening after tea.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

There's definitely a "feelgood factor" when you read the latest positive posts from Bill and Andy.

Bill - messing around with the Gb of images I'm acquiring is great fun!

Andy - welcome back. Glad to help you vent your frustration over your internet and "processed meat" problems!

Jeff

• Like 6

I have a question! I've just been on the NASA, New Horizons website and what I want to know is.....What is it about watching Amy Shira Teitel (the presenter of Pluto In A Minute) that makes me want to go out and kill something? :scare:

Regards

Bill :hunter:

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

I can't claim to have an interest in Astronomy, though I can appreciate the merits of the photos being posted here.  Though I'm surprised that Bill can post any photos from this area as I think that his telescope must be fitted with a rain and cloud filter.  I worked with a lass in Lancaster whose dad was a well known local astronomer and she often commented that he found the weather was a great obstacle round here. 

I can however, claim to once have owned a Mk1 dry Mini Cooper 997 which until fettled by me used to spew out lovely clouds of blue smoke and sparks from the exhaust, but which also caught fire due to the common Mini problem of the main battery lead being through the rear bulkhead, and protected only by a perished grommet, leading to abrasion of the insulation, a dead short, and the electrolyte in the battery boiling - seeing the sparks, then the steam from the filler caps was pretty scary to say the least.  It finally succumbed to the inevitable Mini-rot which meant that there was very little floor pan left, and one day I had to do an emergency stop, and my clutch foot went through the floor.  Enough was enough, and it was sold for its engine, which was a very strange beast indeed after the "fettling" exercise, as it was by then a 1204cc based on an 1100 block, bored out, and with a hotter cam, and breathing through a minnow fish carb.  Went well, turned like a tea trolley, and its stopping power was best ignored.  Oh and no seat belts as it was pre 19 whatever it was.  Scary motor in a number of ways....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't resist converting the "Three Mooners" (now there's an image to conjure with, especially given the size of Luciano Pavarotti!!) into a quartet by digging out a photo of the 3 day old crescent moon from Sunday, 19th July. Very difficult to get this with the moon very dim in the twilight and only 5 degrees above the horizon. Hence the reddish colour....

post-13778-0-36547200-1438010458_thumb.jpg

Bill, I haven't watched that presenter but I DO find a number of the NASA Pluto videos to be cringeworthy in there presentation.

Jeff

Btw, I was engaged to a girl who lived in Lancaster and used to spend a lot of time over there. Like the place, but the weather is similar to my hometown (Barrow) - and not great for astronomy.

• Like 6

I can't claim to have an interest in Astronomy, though I can appreciate the merits of the photos being posted here.  Though I'm surprised that Bill can post any photos from this area as I think that his telescope must be fitted with a rain and cloud filter.  I worked with a lass in Lancaster whose dad was a well known local astronomer and she often commented that he found the weather was a great obstacle round here. 

I can however, claim to once have owned a Mk1 dry Mini Cooper 997 which until fettled by me used to spew out lovely clouds of blue smoke and sparks from the exhaust, but which also caught fire due to the common Mini problem of the main battery lead being through the rear bulkhead, and protected only by a perished grommet, leading to abrasion of the insulation, a dead short, and the electrolyte in the battery boiling - seeing the sparks, then the steam from the filler caps was pretty scary to say the least.  It finally succumbed to the inevitable Mini-rot which meant that there was very little floor pan left, and one day I had to do an emergency stop, and my clutch foot went through the floor.  Enough was enough, and it was sold for its engine, which was a very strange beast indeed after the "fettling" exercise, as it was by then a 1204cc based on an 1100 block, bored out, and with a hotter cam, and breathing through a minnow fish carb.  Went well, turned like a tea trolley, and its stopping power was best ignored.  Oh and no seat belts as it was pre 19 whatever it was.  Scary motor in a number of ways....

The weather is a problem I didn't consider when I bought it being, as I mentioned earlier, in a major cloud-formation area. However, the only way to deal with a problem is to overcome it! I suspect the colder months may prove to be 'my' time because I've spent countlessly long hours on the Stone Jetty night fishing, and more often than not, looking up at those clear, starry skies which is how I first started to look to astronomy as a pastime again. It's perhaps just as well I have a lot of thermal clothing handy and waiting!

The weather is also responsible for some of my least-favourite memories of my Cooper. First was having to keep the distributor dry by wrapping it in polythene because it got soaked in even the lightest rain shower (or heavy dew fall!!!) and killed the electric's! There was a 'glove' available to cover them but you could never get hold of one because they tended to sell out very quickly. Second was the wipers which were driven by one motor via what looked like a spring wrapped around a heavy length of wire and which tended to fall apart at the most inconvenient moments. Witness one day having to drive back from Ribchester in a very heavy downpour which I achieved by leaning out of the side window and wiping the windscreen with my shirt! Aah! The joys of motoring!

I hope thats one you're planning to frame Jeff, it's a cracking image! Our Amy is not someone you should watch more than once , unless you have a good anger management councillor, or come to think of it, that guy from APL who presents New Horizons Update. How I sometimes wish someone would superglue his hands to the desk! Anyway I'm off to watch Wainwrights Walk's until I calm down. Thank the saint's for the lovely Julia!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5

Some cracking photos Jeff. I'm definitely envious because around here, the light pollution is very difficult to get away from. Certainly worth framing the last picture.

Bill. I watched Amy and didn't even get through the first minute.

Excellent to have Andy back and in control of his thread again

Never mind Duncan (and those others amongst you who have suffered the dreaded Teitel!) I've found the perfect antidote!

Regards

Bill (currently standing under a cold shower!) :no: :no: :no:

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

VERY quiet on here!

I've nothing exciting to add - my dad is visiting at the moment and I've managed a bit more KL2 baseboard re-planning (well, I've planned the damn thing for the last 2 years!!).

Anyone else done anything interesting - except work?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff!

Currently idling the day away reading NASA's Contributions to Aeronautics Volume 1. Not the easiest book to read but if you have trouble sleeping I'll send you a copy. Guaranteed to knock you out within minutes!

Regards

Bill :lazy:

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

VERY quiet on here!

I've nothing exciting to add - my dad is visiting at the moment and I've managed a bit more KL2 baseboard re-planning (well, I've planned the damn thing for the last 2 years!!).

Jeff

What's KL2 ? I hope its not R*I*w*y related here in the ASYLUM :O

• RMweb Premium

What's KL2 ? I hope its not R*I*w*y related here in the ASYLUM :O

Nah!!!!!!!!

KL2 - stands for (more) Krazy Lunar photography..... as it's a sequel to the first batch (KL) it's KL2.....

.... You DO believe me, don't you? (I thought I got out of that difficulty rather well!!!!!)

Jeff

VERY quiet on here!

Jeff

I've scratched me 'ed in contemplation. . . Do I put 12s or 13s on my koostic?

John

• Like 2

Just been reading about NASA's MMS mission which is a group of four spacecraft flying in formation around the Earth to study it's magnetic fields. Whats so unusual about that? It's just more boring space stuff, you might ask! The difference is that these particular spacecraft are keeping formation and navigating by...............GPS! Yep! Just like the one you have in your car! So whats the betting that at least one of them ends up in Milton Keynes then?

Regards

Bill

• Like 6

VERY quiet on here!

Jeff

Unfortunately not. Work and courses for work at the moment.

Just been reading about NASA's MMS mission which is a group of four spacecraft flying in formation around the Earth to study it's magnetic fields. Whats so unusual about that? It's just more boring space stuff, you might ask! The difference is that these particular spacecraft are keeping formation and navigating by...............GPS! Yep! Just like the one you have in your car! So whats the betting that at least one of them ends up in Milton Keynes then?

Regards

Bill

Or the Farmers Track just outside Southampton where many a foreign Lorry Driver has ended up. hahhaha

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, Don!! I hope someone was supporting the bottom of those ladders while you were cutting. Looks mighty dangerous to me!

Bill, have you woken up yet? That NASA tome sounds a bit dry, even to me! If you want a good read, get a copy of the 2 Patrick Moore biographies written by Martin Mobberley: "It came from Outer Space wearing an RAF blazer" and "Return to the Far Side of planer Moore!" Very entertaining and very enlughtening.

Jeff

• Like 3

I do put a tie onto the steps. It is quite hairy waving a 8ft pole hedge trimmer around standing on the top step.

Don

Thanks Don, I'll sleep easier in my bed tonight now, knowing that.

hhahahhahhaaeeeeee :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: