RMweb

Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Jock the superstition handed down to me was 'It is bad luck to first see the NEW moon through glass' once seen with the naked eye it was okay. God knows who dreams these things up. The new moon is rather elusive although it is there in the day its closeness to the sun hides it until the short period after sundown before it dips below the horizon. Johanna's version would cause a major headache as you couldn't drive on the night of the full moon and is quite often visible at Dawn.

Don

Difficult one for spectacle wearers before the advent of CR39 lenses.

Evening all,

Just went out in the garden to let Archie the Westie have his late comfort break and just had to mention the waning moon - a truly beautiful sight, low in the sky and a lovely honey colour due to the effect of the atmosphere on the light of the Sun illuminating it! It is easy to see how it became an object of worship in ancient times!

Don't know if anyone has been watching it but 'Yesterday' on 'Sky' are re-running the 'How the Universe Works' series. Tonight's recording was on the black hole predicted by scientists to be at the centre of our Galaxy and amazingly, scientists all over the world are working together to produce large radio telescopes which they hope to link together to effectively work as one massive instrument. They then think they will be able to form a clear image of this phenomenon which will advance our knowledge of how Galaxies were originally formed!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jock.

No moon for me - cloudy, cloudy, cloudy. I thought it was supposed to be summer - it really has been poor, to date.

Just finished the first Patrick Moore bio, starting the second. Good entertainment.

Takes my mind off the clouds and the r*****y thing I'm not allowed to mention here!!

Jeff

Evening Jock.

No moon for me - cloudy, cloudy, cloudy. I thought it was supposed to be summer - it really has been poor, to date.

Just finished the first Patrick Moore bio, starting the second. Good entertainment.

Takes my mind off the clouds and the r*****y thing I'm not allowed to mention here!!

Jeff

Welcome to Morecambeland Jeff! I sometimes wonder whether it might be worth buying one of those Zarkoff Cloud Guns from FLO but, knowing my luck, I'd probably find myself up to my knees in blooming aliens!

OK! I've just found out that life's a confusing bitch! Last week I ordered and received a Celestron X-cel Barlow from FLO. This week I need a T-ring adaptor for my camera, so I enquired about the Hotech 1.25" T-adaptor. Turns out that the SLT 130 doesn't have enough travel to focus a DSLR without a Barlow and they suggest a Celestron x2 Universal Barlow which has a threaded top to fit a T-ring. So! Decisions! Decisions! Do I buy another Barlow or do I buy the Hotech adaptor which will (should) fit into the Barlow I already have? I am seriously in need of some Jeff-type common sense here. HELP!!!!!!!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Bill, I would go back to FLO and buy the items that 100% guarantee you can fit the DSLR to the scope as that's your absolute base requirement.

Since they sold you the original Barlow, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to trade that in. 

If they can guarantee the second Barlow can fit to the relevant adaptor so your camera can be coupled, that's definitely the option you need to go with.

Jeff

He must be meaning the "FELL" !  (perhaps one of the ones which move due to continental drift, not like the one that BR had...)

James

He must be meaning the "FELL" !  (perhaps one of the ones which move due to continental drift, not like the one that BR had...)

James

Blimey James, you're putting your neck out there bud! Even BR don't like to admit to that one!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

In the absence of any posting on anything else, here's another mosaic "I did earlier" (from 2 days back).

Sorry if the moon stuff is annoying anybody. If so, PM me and I'll stop posting the damn things!

post-13778-0-82229900-1438799819_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

Evening Jeff

Keep them coming as far as I'm concerned! Sorry about the lack of recent posts but I've had a week away on holiday, and I've been ill due to mismanaging my medication!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Certainly not annoying Jeff. But, how long before the night sky is polluted not by light but space junk?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33782943

I agree. It is now very difficult to take a long exposure photo (5 mins or more) of the night sky without a "satellite" - most likely a piece of debris - showing up as a "trail".

As usual, humans do first then think of the consequences later...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff

Keep them coming as far as I'm concerned! Sorry about the lack of recent posts but I've had a week away on holiday, and I've been ill due to mismanaging my medication!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hope you're now recovered, Jock!

Re. the photos. I know SOME people like the photos, but I'm equally convinced others think "oh no, no another one of those bl**dy moon pictures", and switch off. I DON'T want to alienate (ha ha) people, but if NOBODY is posting on here, well - you gets what you gets....

Jeff

• Like 2

To be honest I haven't had enough time recently to do more than read the topics that I follow. This evening is a rare occasion to spend time being able to have some input.

A slightly different subject and a bit more down to earth.

Has anyone else noticed the increase of drivers approaching roundabouts indicating right and going straight ahead. I'm sure that this isn't a recent amendment to the highway code.

Mooooooning  pics are better that Steam through the ages and My Bulleid is better than Hornbys.

Jock my old mate, you take care, don't go overdoing it.

All the best to all Lunesters far and wide.

To be honest I haven't had enough time recently to do more than read the topics that I follow. This evening is a rare occasion to spend time being able to have some input.

A slightly different subject and a bit more down to earth.

Has anyone else noticed the increase of drivers approaching roundabouts indicating right and going straight ahead. I'm sure that this isn't a recent amendment to the highway code.

I think it's worse than that some indicate right and go left some indicate left and continue on round and some don't indicate at all.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Agree about the indicating business. Many see it as doing others a favour if they condescend to use their indicator. But woe betide you if, as a result of no/incorrect indication, you end up crashing into them. Such people are a total menace!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Keep the moon pics coming 

I may have a couple of new ones to entertain you with, a little bit later....

Glad to see that a few of you enjoy looking at them. In a few weeks I hope you'll all be enjoying looking at my woodwork - oops, that's for another thread!!

Werewolf Jeff

• Like 5

Hi Jeff and all. Hope all is well.

I need to spend more time on here lol but at the moment life has got busy for me Lisa is driving me mad lol . It won,t be long now before the baby is born ( bricking it ) and she can't stop complaning about things. Now she wants a vw 7 seater

Any one want to trade for lisa. Ha Ha. A cammel for lisa anyone.

Sorry for that I'm loosing the plot.

Mark :jester:

Hi Jeff and all. Hope all is well.

I need to spend more time on here lol but at the moment life has got busy for me Lisa is driving me mad lol . It won,t be long now before the baby is born ( bricking it ) and she can't stop complaning about things. Now she wants a vw 7 seater

Any one want to trade for lisa. Ha Ha. A cammel for lisa anyone.

Sorry for that I'm loosing the plot.

Mark :jester:

I've got a good Lawnmower, but I don't want the Lump that comes with Lisa. hahahaha.

• RMweb Premium

Ok, here's your last moon fix for a few days! Taken at 02.40 this morning (whole image) with a mosaic at high resolution put together this afternoon.

Images are severely compressed to enable posting here!

post-13778-0-84942400-1438883320_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-13769200-1438883296_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9