The Zomboid Sideboard Railroad

So here's what no-one's been waiting for - Abbeville, Louisiana shoehorned into 2m x 18" in a HO freemo module.

post-25860-0-46330300-1494432033.png

The real rice plant has 2 spurs in front of it, but they'd be uselessly short if I were to try that. And there's no space for Railroad Avenue. And to operate it properly at home I'd need a fiddlestick on either end (I could manage enough on the RH end to enable a loco to run round a train arriving from the left, which would be OK since the spurs all face the other way; the LH end would be both easier and harder to manage at the same time...). The freight house/ oil tank car is actually on the headshunt in reality, but this is the only way to get it in.

A very interesting possibility though. I'd be liable to change the rice plant into something I could get in kit form, scratchbuilding something like that would be a bit of a stretch for me...

Nice!

Sorry/Not Sorry about turning your attention elsewhere. lol.

The smaller plant on the right hand side is indeed another rice silo, from what my research tells me. There are some great photos online of this area of the plant if you just do a google image search of "Planters Rice, Abeville".

As for the plant itself - DPM modulars are your friend. That's what I used to get my rough version of the plant created. That and some kitbashed Walthers structures, but got no further than that.

Let me see if I can find the photos I took of how far I got before I gave up and recylced the parts back into my bits box.

I'll check out the dpm modular thingies then. Might give me a fighting chance...

I could possibly swap the turnouts to the left around to match reality, might get the two spurs in then. Would be at the cost of the siding/runround length though. By my estimation you could run around a 7x40' train as is, or pass 2x 5 40' car trains, so I'm not sure much shorter would be a great idea. Decisions, decisions. Another turnout would be another £20, too...

I've been driving the google car around Abbeville a bit more, and tweaking things, the latest iteration being this:

post-25860-0-97570900-1494875999.png

It has the feel of something that might actually be within my abilities to build, if not to a brilliant standard, then at least in some semi-acceptable form which I wouldn't be ashamed to use at a Freemo meet.

The roads are a bit of a question. They're very convenient on the real thing, but they might reduce the usable length of the siding/loop (I don't like stopping trains across the road).

So that's what that is so far...

I like your latest plan. Dropping one of the 'other industry' spurs looks better as the 2 spurs  did look rather short. 

The plan kind of reminds me of Palmetto Spur but with a run-around added. 

I'll be following your progress with interest.

Mal

In reality both industries have 2 spurs, but I don't have space to do them properly, so in Mindheimian fashion I'll go with fewer, longer spurs. Even though they'll still be really short.

The "other industry" should really be another rice place, but I'm thinking I'll change that. The old standby of a team track is one thing that it's missing, or I could stick the freight house on that side and have an oil/ fuel dealer where the freight house is now.

Not that I need to decide yet, the boards haven't arrived, and I've got to get them built when they do.

A problem with short, one car spurs/industries is that where there is curved track preceding the car spot, you may have problems coupling a loco to the freight car as the couplers do not line up.

I discovered this problem after I built my Palmetto Spur layout. The shortest spur could hold 2x 50ft cars, however, the loco would not couple due to the curve. Consequently, I could  spot only 1 car.

Too many small layout designs try to cram in as many spurs as possible and I agree that fewer, longer spurs are more prototypical looking.

There's some scope to avoid that problem. I'd like them to work with 50 footers. Hoping that the rice might take 3 and the others 2, but it'll be tight without fouling the roads.

I'll have to buy some before I get the glue out, only got 40' cars right now...

Archived