Ffestiniog Railway - 150 Years of Passenger Trains.

Afternoon All,

As some of you may be aware, the Ffestiniog Railway has been celebrating 150 years of passenger carrying over the May Bank Holiday weekend.  Each day had a different theme with the emphasis on different eras.  

Friday was the Victorian era, Saturday was the 1920s/1930s Colonel Stevens era, Sunday was the 1950s/1960s early preservation era and Monday was the 1980s era.  I have already started to put some pictures on Flickr but with lots more to follow as time permits.  However, if anyone would like to see those that are already on the www, this is the first one in the Photostream : 

17346552766_0fe8df44d0_m.jpgRD10814.  PRINCE at Tanybwlch. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

They can also be found in this Album :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157652288030932

Hope that they are of interest.

Thanks Ron, Great photos, as ever. That Ffestiniog Sentry box Brake Van is intriguing - anyone know why it was built like that ?

Dennis

Yes.  Initially, even passenger trains were gravity worked down the line and the guard rode on a small balcony on the downhill end of the luggage/parcels/brake van so that he could control the speed.  In inclement weather (like today!), this was somewhat unpleasant so a small shelter was provided and this looked like a sentry box.  I'm not sure when, but the practice of running gravity passenger trains ceased and locos were used on both up trains and down trains.

As none of the original vans of this type survived, the craftsmen at Boston Lodge built a replica thus plugging a gap in the Railway's historic vehicles collection. 

• 4 weeks later...
Afternoon All,

I have been beavering away on Flickr uploading more pictures from the Ffestiniog Railway's 150 years of Passenger Trains Gala earlier this month.  If anyone would like to have a look, this is the first one in the Photostream :

Alternatively, they can be found in this album, together with the ones uploaded earlier : 

Hope they're of interest.

• 1 month later...
Morning All,

I know that it's now nearly August, but I have finally managed to get the final selection of pictures from the May Bank Holiday on Flickr.  This is the first one in the Photostream :

I have also split the albums into two so as not to have too many pictures in one album.  The pictures from Friday and Saturday are in this album :

and the pictures from Sunday and Monday are in this album :

Hope that they're still of interest.

Archived