Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Yes Pontypool road was my choice and will be perfect for Gaer Junction. On the other side it's depot of Acton for when it makes an appearance on Ranelagh Bridge.

I've done the same with my shunters truck, Newport on one side and old Oak on the other. Again to suit both layouts.

• Like 1

Not much done today. Had a move around with stuff in the garage, a trip to the tip, and applied transfers to this Parkside Ex-LMS 5 plank mineral (PS42), then dusted it all over with Testors Dullcote.

Everything built as per the kit except I utilized my own guard loops out of scrap etch.

I've yet to paint the inside a wood colour, but will get on with that later, and I might start a spot of weathering too.

The eagle eyed amongst you will of spotted that I've opened up a couple of the grooves between the planking, more of an experiment to show wear and wood corrosion/wear of planking. Not sure about it yet, I'll see what it comes out like after the application of some weathering.

post-14906-0-70275000-1465140012_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-86347400-1465140018_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

The other item to rear its head is the JLTRT 'Fruit D' that I built ages ago.

It's been sitting in its gloss finish for some time now, so again I've wafted it with some Testors Dullcoat ready for weathering. So this weeks projects are the Fruit D and the LMS 5-plank to be weathered and to finish off the bogie bolster once I work out how the brakes go!!!!

post-14906-0-89778900-1465142458_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-01305900-1465142465_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 13

Nice work on the Wagons David, I'm looking forward to see how the deeper groove in the planking comes out as I have Dapol 5 plank to weather and I will be re painting some planks as replacements and taking a Stanley Knife to a bit here and there. It might also translate to my 4mm Stock as well.

Hello all,

Today saw the addition of a small piece of equipment in the form of a WWS Static Grass applicator.

Here it is with my ever helpful moggie, Dobbie in the background, obviously feeling camera shy, yet seconds before I took the picture he was posing nicely.

post-14906-0-87913200-1465499368_thumb.jpg

So I thought I'd give it a go, well it would of been rude not to.

Here are a couple of pictures of my attempts, using a mixture of WWS static grasses, including the grass with dead leaves (as can be seen), and some Woodland Scenics. I've also used some long grass and snipped it around to try and create some long tuffts, but this needs some more work.

I have also used some of the WWS ready to plant small tufts, which look quite good I think.

I've also put some static grass between the rails as it may be on a less used line.

post-14906-0-11318100-1465499374_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72087100-1465499378_thumb.jpg

THe other thing I've been doing is continuing the layout spine down to the crossover on the Merthyr line. This was duly covered with 4mm cork, and the Templot plan laid over the top.

This board also includes the siding from the station which will include the cattle dock and the coal staithes for the local merchant.

Here is the view back up to the double junction along the Merthyr line board.

post-14906-0-64734000-1465499383_thumb.jpg

I'll now be able to enjoy some point building in among the other things I have on the go.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

Guest bri.s

Nice looking grass jinty ,back up to your usual swift progress of late ,great to see

Brian

Jinty

Nice looking grass there, but just a small point -

If your layout is set in the sixties or earlier there would be no grass in between the tracks or anywhere other than it was supposed to be, except perhaps at the very end of a very little-used siding. Per-way in those days was generally immaculate, especially in rural areas.

John

Jinty

Nice looking grass there, but just a small point -

If your layout is set in the sixties or earlier there would be no grass in between the tracks or anywhere other than it was supposed to be, except perhaps at the very end of a very little-used siding. Per-way in those days was generally immaculate, especially in rural areas.

John

Thank you John, point taken, I was just experimenting on my photo plank, new toy and all that, but thank you for your input anyway.

Jinty ;)

Smashing results with your static grass applicator although my first reaction was 'grass in between running lines?', but then John R Smith pointed out the error if modelling the steam era. The weed-killer once used was pretty lethal. Not only that, the ash and what-not dropping from steam locos was pretty toxic in itself, nonetheless, it was mainly about looking after the permanent way and drainage in the days when plenty of staff were employed to attend to such matters.

Edited by coachmann

Well after my messing about with the grass, I eventually got around to weathering the 5-plank open wagon.

A slight difference in approach, following on from what Coachman said earlier, where the streaking from the rain, etc is left more visible. 

I had purchased quite a bit of the weathering washes direct from Modelmates and started with applying these with selected downward strokes. I mixed up some Mud Brown, Sand Brown and Light Grey and let it down with some IPA. This was then teased out in a downward motion and then cotton buds used to remove the excess, then a brush dipped in neat IPA to tease it out further.

I then painted the rogue plank in Humbrol enamel Sand Wash, and then attacked the underframe and some of the metal areas with some powders (I might revisit this with some rusty weathering liquid).

Then I gently airbrushed some frame dirt onto the underframe areas and just up a little bit onto the body, but without affecting the weathering I'd already done.

Here are a couple of pictures.

post-14906-0-65756600-1465586850_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-60798700-1465586856_thumb.jpg

Fruit D next...........................................

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Today has seen a start made on the continuation of the line to Merthyr. The first part being the facing crossover as you leave the station that sets the trains out of platform 2 across to what is in effect the single line on that leg of the triangle. Apart from the station itself, the triangle, although double track, was only operated as single lines, the inner line being an extended siding/loop, served from both ends.

Here is a couple of pictures of progress, I have completed the cattle dock/ coal siding (just waiting for a buffer stop), and also the line from platform 1 to the crossover. I'm quite pleased with the smooth transition of the curves, and the turnouts, both being about 26" long should create a nice reverse curve whilst on a curve itself.

post-14906-0-31896300-1465768931_thumb.jpg

Here is the siding, no straight piece of track on it.

post-14906-0-63707700-1465768936_thumb.jpg

More in the week, and the weathering on the Fruit D as well.

Jinty ;)

• Like 16

I see that you are back to your express speed and I am very pleased to watch what you are doing. Everything you build looks superb and the weathering on the ex LMS wagon is nothing short of brilliant. Looking forward to your next "instalment" with great anticipation. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Rod

I've made a start on the crossover now, I've built up one frog unit and joined the lines from platform 2, thus constructing the first turnout. I construct my turnouts with one piece switch rails from the frog. On turnouts this size (28 1/2" from toe to end of frog) there is plenty enough flex in the rail without causing problems. It also assists in electrical continuity as well.

An overall view

post-14906-0-93041800-1466109930_thumb.jpg

And a view a bit lower down, more at rail height

post-14906-0-65703200-1466109937_thumb.jpg

I've only got tomorrow evening for the other switch rail and the check rails, and then we're off to the SVR for the weekend for our Anniversary.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7