Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Guest bri.s

Great work on the pannier, auto coach and the floor for the coach

Looks like your really picking up pace with the stock

Brian

My soldering iron packed in at the weekend, and I'm still waiting for its replacement!!!

I'd ordered a soldering station to see how I get on with it (Not had much success before!), I need one for finer work as I just can't get in and out with the Weller with as much finesse as one of these smaller irons. I will start using it once I get my screwdriver tips that I've purchased for it, I don't get on with the pointy tips at all!!!

The unit has a heat gun that can be altered by both temp and airflow, and I gave it a try with a piece of brass angle and sheet, used some flux and a small piece of 145 degree solder placed by the joint. It took a little while to get up to temp (More me not setting it right I think) but once it achieved the temperature, the solder melted and I could use the nozzle to 'flow' the solder down the joint quite successfully. 

I think the heat gun is more for disassembling a piece of work really, rather than assembling!!!

Here's the unit..............................

post-14906-0-14321100-1468426592_thumb.jpg

I've now had the GWR 9' Pressed Steel bogies from Invertrain.

I've made one up and soldered it together with my old crippled Weller.

Plopped it under the Autocoach to see if the heights and clearences are ok, which they are.

post-14906-0-67157000-1468426584_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I will recieve my new iron before the weekend so I can carry on with the LMS coaches.

Jinty ;)

Edited to add that I know that both steps, sanding pipes and guard irons yet to be fitted to the bogie.

But does anyone know if the trailing bogie (the one nearest the engine) would've had sanding pipes also (can't find a clear enough photo!)?

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 7

Happy Friday everyone!!!

It seems to have been a bit quiet on the 7mm+ section.

Well my Soldering Iron woes continued, yesterday was still no iron, so I thought I'd get one from Amazon as I have 'Prime' I get free next day delivery, and it arrived today, smashing!!!

The other iron not arriving was met with panic with the seller from Ebay, he's sending a replacement via courier which I should have tomorrow, so I will have two irons. I will keep both as I'll have a spare to fall back on.

To test the new Weller, I made up some small guard irons for the Autocoach bogie out of some 3mm angle, cut and shaped, then the sanding pipes were made from 1mm brass rod, and both soldered to the bogie end stretchers, giving about a 1.5 - 2mm clearance from the rail head.

post-14906-0-37492900-1468612052_thumb.jpg

Now I'll have to make up the extra steps for this bogie and the trailing end bogie.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Guest bri.s

Happy Friday jinty

Ha the man with many irons lol

Sorry to hear soldering iron woes think we'll have to send a message to these Flea bayer to be swifter and not slow your progress lol

Nice looking bogies ,as always looking forward to your progress

Brian

• Like 1

Seems to be "that time of year"for soldering irons. My little 15w Antex packed up after 4 years. Dug out a brand new identical spare from my tool drawer that I've had sitting in there for a year or more, plugged it in and it lasted about 5 minutes before going pop.

Had a trip to Maplins and bought a 12w to replace it. Fingers crossed now....!

JF

A Saturday evening, just in from work and I have put the second bogie together. This one was a touch easier as there were no guard irons or sanding pipes. I have though, fitted both bogies with copper clad suitably scribed to fit with pick-ups which will run on the backs of the wheels.

They have been mounted to the central bolsters in a transverse position, two on each bogie, making four in total.

I've also added a small piece of phosphor bronze wire to the sanding pipes.

Here are the two bogies, showing the copperclad strip fitted.

post-14906-0-67765900-1468692889_thumb.jpg

And here are the two bogies slung underneath the Autocoach.

The GWR 9' Pressed Steel bogies only just clear the other operating gubbins under the Autocoach.

post-14906-0-46030600-1468692872_thumb.jpg

The driving end

post-14906-0-79224800-1468692877_thumb.jpg

And the guard end

post-14906-0-72883700-1468692882_thumb.jpg

Steps to be made up for the bogies next and some brake gear.

Then I need to line the coach and paint the inside of both the body and the underframe and fit the seats.

Once the body has been painted, I will be fitting a lamp on the driving end with a Bi-Colour SMD LED (Red/Yellow) to act directionally with an ESU Function only decoder, which will also operate the switchable cab lights and saloon lights.

On with the LMS coaches in the meantime. Bogies nearly done, Soldering up the bodies and finishing the underframes.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

Really impressive work on the Auto coach Jinty. A real top quality job. You really can't beat the level of detail in O gauge. Must admit I've been taking an unhealthy interest in those new Heljan 'O' gauge centre panel 37's. Especially those in the 3TG liveries. Why unhealthy you ask. Well if I suddenly appear with one of those my missus will kill me. LOL!!

• Like 1

Really impressive work on the Auto coach Jinty. A real top quality job. You really can't beat the level of detail in O gauge. Must admit I've been taking an unhealthy interest in those new Heljan 'O' gauge centre panel 37's. Especially those in the 3TG liveries. Why unhealthy you ask. Well if I suddenly appear with one of those my missus will kill me. LOL!!

You sound like me Marcus, I've got a Dapol Rail blue Class 08 on order, the thought of shunting a train with a decent couplings, detail etc always appeals to me, it was the thought of having assemble a kit that stopped me, till now.

• Like 3

You sound like me Marcus, I've got a Dapol Rail blue Class 08 on order, the thought of shunting a train with a decent couplings, detail etc always appeals to me, it was the thought of having assemble a kit that stopped me, till now.

The Dapol 08 is a real bargain for 7mm, sub £170 for a green with wasp stripes I have on order, and not far away now either.

Does this mean a movement in scales now then Simon???  :O

Kits aren't as difficult as you'd normally think, it is just the apprehension of the unknown. JLTRT diesel kits are mainly resin based which are glued together!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

I've had about an hour this evening to have a little play with the Pannier chassis.

I've worked out the position of the motor/gearbox and soldered the ashpan in place so that the gears don't catch it. 

I fitted the sealed bearings to the fixed axle holes at the rear of the chassis, then built up the other two axles/bearings/springs,retainers and assembled the wheels.

The rolling chassis was checked for free rotation then a couple of wires were soldered to the motor, and a test was conducted on my rolling road.

Here's a short video of the test, this is without any oil, just a dry assembly. 

I oiled around the bearings and con rod bearings and then left it run for a good 30mins in each direction to bed everything in.

My next job is to fit the main springs, pick-ups, vac cylinder and guard irons, then the chassis is pretty much complete.

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Oh dear ..... that is the slippery slope, plenty of 4mm stuff coming up on ebay soon  :offtopic: ....... I think this is how a few of us started on the 7mm road "ooh I will just get one of these as a bit of a side line" and the rest is history they say  :whistle:

Craig.

Will I see either you Jinty or Craig at Colwyn Bay show this weekend in Llandudno?

I am there demonstrating in the main hall.

Peter

ps I also have a Dapol 08 on order.

Hello Peter I hope you are well ? sorry not been in touch about coming to see you again, and sadly I can't make it this weekend, Tis the start of the silly season for us this weekend, as a lot of the little darlings that are breaking up from school will be heading down this way to grace us with their company  :scared:

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Will I see either you Jinty or Craig at Colwyn Bay show this weekend in Llandudno?

I am there demonstrating in the main hall.

Peter

ps I also have a Dapol 08 on order.

Unfortunatly Peter, I am working, and as Craig, apologies for not getting over to see you, but work and hospitals have got in the way!!!

Hello Peter I hope you are well ? sorry not been in touch about coming to see you again, and sadly I can't make it this weekend, Tis the start of the silly season for us this weekend, as a lot of the little darlings that are breaking up from school will be heading down this way to grace us with their company  :scared:

Best regards

Craig.

Yes, we have similar little darlings here too!!!!  :O  :banghead:

Jinty ;)

At a similar stage with 57xx, but used the kit laminated rods, ABC gearbox with Maxon and sprung all axles. Only issue seems to be clearance at rear of Slaters wheels, easily adjusted

I've had about an hour this evening to have a little play with the Pannier chassis.

I've worked out the position of the motor/gearbox and soldered the ashpan in place so that the gears don't catch it. 

I fitted the sealed bearings to the fixed axle holes at the rear of the chassis, then built up the other two axles/bearings/springs,retainers and assembled the wheels.

The rolling chassis was checked for free rotation then a couple of wires were soldered to the motor, and a test was conducted on my rolling road.

I oiled around the bearings and con rod bearings and then left it run for a good 30mins in each direction to bed everything in.

My next job is to fit the main springs, pick-ups, vac cylinder and guard irons, then the chassis is pretty much complete.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Craig, Who knows what the future has in store, I'm just glad my missus doesn't browse RMweb

Oh dear ..... that is the slippery slope, plenty of 4mm stuff coming up on ebay soon  :offtopic: ....... I think this is how a few of us started on the 7mm road "ooh I will just get one of these as a bit of a side line" and the rest is history they say  :whistle:

Craig.

By the way, impressive work on the pannier chassis jinty.

Simon

Steve Fay pointed out to me an old 45rpm recording of a 57xx from Newport to Brecon. The recording has the climb to Torpantau and on the B' side stopping at Talyllyn and setting off through the tunnel to Brecon.

I had this record given to me for free, and once I have made a copy for my own personal use, I will be donating it to the History Group who arranged the walk through the tunnel in May.

post-14906-0-24029800-1469125791_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-38152100-1469125796_thumb.jpg

My other little diversion has been making up the tail lamp for the A38 Autotrailer.

I have cut away a Slaters brass lamp casting which are hollow anyway. I have then glued a piece of 3mm fibre optic to a tiny red SMD LED and placed it inside the Slaters lamp. I then secured the LED and fibre optic in with model filler and tested it for working.

The lamp picture below is with a 10K resistor, but through an AC track current, I will turn one of the decoder function outputs down somewhat on the ESU V4 function only decoder that will be powering the A38.

post-14906-0-98296200-1469126110_thumb.jpg

I am going to make up some lighting units for the ceiling of the A38, I've got some yellowish LED's that should give off a nicely realistic incandescent light bulb glow of the 60's. All these lights, including the cab lighting, will be controlled via the decoder.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

By way of comparison.......

Jinty ;)

post-1733-0-68249900-1469226810_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I suspect the copyright rules are covered in this link

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-in-sound-recordings/copyright-in-sound-recordings

My opinion (which in this respect is pretty much as good as anyone else's, as I'm not a lawyer) is that even if it is technically wrong, David should loan the recording to the study group, and keep a backup copy of the sounds for himself - particularly if the recording is no longer available. This does enable anyone studying the line to hear it, and ensures a backup is available, should something 'orrible 'appen to the original.

My interpretation (see disclaimer in previous para) is that the copyright would last 70 years, and as the copyright date on the sleeve is 1963, would expire in 2033. Not long now... :)

Oh yeah, and, it's not music... !

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond