Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

• RMweb Premium

Haha!  Did he ever live that one down?? In a similar vein, a good friend of mine always insists its headlines that get missed in proof reading ... he recalls a story of a book he co-authored, that has a chapter entitled 'All lines lead to Crewe' ... he proof read it, as did his wife, the other author, two photographers, the publishers proof reader and the publisher chap himself (who was an avid railway fan).  The book way printed, author's copies arrived .. by pure co-incidence he happened to open the book directly at the start of that and words of 'oh b*gger' .. when he realised the heading said 'All lines lead to Crew' and the last 'e' was missing!!!  And that was a very well known railway photographer!

Happens to the best of em!

Rich

Talking of missing 'e's, there is the old story of the Yorkshireman who commissioned a headstone for his wife's grave. He specified the inscription "She were thine". The mason got it wrong and the stone read "She were thin". When the customer complained that a 'e' was missing, the mason reworked it. The revised version read "E, she were thin".

I'm told that proof readers read backwards, as it diminishes the tendency to see what you expect to see.

Of course, I don't actually know any professional proof readers, so this is heresy or was that hearsay...

Best

Simon

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that, I've already got one, quite a good enamel sign, it will be going on the wall once I've moved on a bit.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

I'm told that proof readers read backwards, as it diminishes the tendency to see what you expect to see.

Of course, I don't actually know any professional proof readers, so this is heresy or was that hearsay...

Best

Simon

At a company I used to work at, the technical documentation writer would always turn the draft upside down and read the text backwards as well.  She said it forced her to concentrate to read every word.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot happening on the layout and WB due to family commitments and work.

But the builder who is building the Station Building for Talyllyn is making headway very nicely.

The stonework has been put on and he's awaiting more windows from Invertrain which should see a big step forward.

I think he's doing a superb job, and I can't wait to see it on the platform (When I get that laid down!!!).

post-14906-0-09286700-1489177981_thumb.jpg

I'll be continuing with the Signal Box once I get a minute. I had to have a step back to appraise myself how the little porch went together, but I've worked out all the layers now. It is a very comprehensive kit indeed, and the detail is stunning.

Jinty ;)

• Like 17

That looks superb Jinty - what are the bricks done with? Plasticard?  Going to look wonderful once its complete and in position on TJ.

Rich

I'm not 100% sure Rich, I think that Slaters embossed sheets have been used and DAS for the Quoins/edges, but I will stand corrected.

As I've said before, I can't 'do' buildings, and I admire anyone who can, especially the talent shown above with the Station Building.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not 100% sure Rich, I think that Slaters embossed sheets have been used and DAS for the Quoins/edges, but I will stand corrected.

As I've said before, I can't 'do' buildings, and I admire anyone who can, especially the talent shown above with the Station Building.

Jinty ;)

With your weathering skills I'm sure you could do a good job with buildings :). But I agree the chap building that has a wonderful talent, oh to produce something to that standard eh!  Really good.

I've acquired some brickwork papers that are textured somehow.  Its not 3D, but far better than flat 2D, so I shall be interested to see how they come out.  I've not looked at the Slaters embossed, although I used South Eastern Finecast (I think) embossed brick for the Depot Building last year.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

Not been much done worth photographing and posting about with regards to Talyllyn Junction. That doesn't mean that its come to a halt, which it hasn't, it means that other things have had to take a priority at this time.

One thing that has happened is the builder who's building Talyllyn's Station Building for me has sent me another picture of progress.

The building now has a sign and is nearing completion. I'm very happy with the work that he's done on this, it's superb in my opinion.

post-14906-0-77825500-1490979377.jpg

A couple of other things. I've been doing a bit on the signal box when I've had chance. I've airbrushed the inside walls and stained and varnished the floor and 3 boards high up the walls to represent the skirting. 

Narrow Planet have sent the re-worked brass Tunnel Commemoration sign, which will need painting. I will practice on the incorrect ones before doing the actual one!!!

More soon I hope

Jinty ;)

• Like 17

Oy Jints is your phone playing up I have emailed you a couple of times ? ................. aah may be you are ignoring me as you know I can be a pain in the ar$e  :friends:

That building is blinking well superb  :sungum:

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 4

post-5983-0-14722300-1491082841_thumb.png

I spray the plate white a few times and leave to harden for a few days then spray it black and add some thinners to a piece of paper on a flat surface, turn the plate over and gently rub it on the paper. That should clean the black paint off the raised lettering exposing the white.

Just don't run to hard !!

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_1229.PNG

I spray the plate white a few times and leave to harden for a few days then spray it black and add some thinners to a piece of paper on a flat surface, turn the plate over and gently rub it on the paper. That should clean the black paint off the raised lettering exposing the white.

Just don't run to hard !!

That's a good idea, I was thinking of blackening the brass and then pressing a fine, semi damp sponge, with white paint on, onto the surface.

Thanks for the pointer Steve.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

That's a good idea, I was thinking of blackening the brass and then pressing a fine, semi damp sponge, with white paint on, onto the surface.

Thanks for the pointer Steve.

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

You can do it that way as well, I usually paint the whole signs, numbers,etc with the background colour first and then paint some slightly thinned white paint on to some flat surface. Leave until almost dry and then press facedown into the paint, whatever way you do it I have always had mixed results, not one of my favourite jobs.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

• RMweb Gold

What I have done in the past with smokebox numberplates is to first paint them gloss white and then leave to paint for long enough to make sure that it really hardens.  Once it's good and hard 'reasonably carefully' apply black to the background but don't worry if it goes over the white as it can be quickly wiped off because the white painted numerals are standing proud of the background.

Good afternoon all,

I have been making a start on the interior of the signal box as mentioned in an earlier post. I have airbrushed the walls with an off white/cream colour but leaving 3 planks high from the floor for skirting boards. The floor was then stained with Rustons Dark Teak and then I decanted some clear lacquer and brush painted it on. The shine has dulled quite a bit as the paint has cured, but it still shows a slight sheen.

I've ordered some chairs, wall clock, bureau, desk and fireplace from Shapeways (not the cheapest but they look excellent!!) for the interior of the signal box and I am currently looking at working the smallest wire I can, into the upper area along the roof trussing for the two SMD LED lights that I will use for the interior lighting.

I've today printed a couple of posters of BR(W) scenic destinations (Ross-on-Wye and South Wales) that would be of near interest to the local Signalman!!!

I've printed them on photo paper and edged them with a sharpie.

Just realised that I've situated one above where the fireplace would go, I may have to move it.

Question:

Although I've ordered a fireplace, I can use that in the station building somewhere if required, but would the box of had a proper fireplace, or a free standing stove heater in the 1960's?

Here is a couple of pictures of progress:

post-14906-0-93290800-1491148525_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-87617800-1491148533_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-50989800-1491148542_thumb.jpg

Next up was the Tunnel sign.

I looked at the suggestions above, and I am going to try the paint white, let harden, paint black and remove over the letters method as well, but I thought I'd have a go at blackening the brass, then sponging on white paint that was nearly dry.

Here is the result:

post-14906-0-76793900-1491148550_thumb.jpg

I have soldered the upright to the back of the sign.

I think it looks ok, but as mentioned, I will give the other sign the treatment mentioned above, and then choose which one looks best.

I think I'm maybe expecting a bit too much as a lot of the writing in 7mm is too small to be legible anyway.

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Well my absence has been due to family issues (as mentioned in my Wrexbury Marsh thread), but things have now settled down and I've had to make a couple of decisions about what I was doing with my modelling and WB.

Well Talyllyn followers will be pleased to hear that it will be jumping to the front of the queue for all things, as will my WB. Wrexbury will be shelved until 2018 whilst I get Talyllyn to an operational point, where I can run my trains! (that's what it is all about!).

I have received my Lionheart B-Set coaches a good few weeks ago and I haven't got them out of the box properly yet as things have been so busy!

The Minerva 8750's are around the corner as the decorated sample on Chris's thread shows, they'll be superb!

The signal box needs completing, the signals need collecting, just a lot of stuff going on.

So this is just to bump the topic ready for some input this coming week!

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Life does have a nasty habit of getting in the way of modelling. I now have a house move ahead of me now I've retired but that pales to nothing compared to any family health problems. Family always comes first, hobbies sometimes take a back seat but it all settles down eventually!

JF