Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Hi all, 

Thanks for the kind words, I just need to get into the garage after the F1 tomorrow and bring you all up to date.

This evening though, I had a little potter down to Abergele and spotted 5043 heading back home with 47773 in BR Green trailing.

Slowed down just before Abergele as a 175 that had passed a few minutes before hadn't probably cleared the section. The platform starter was pulled off and away she went. OK so it isn't anything to do with Talyllyn, but at least it's Western!!!

post-14906-0-01687700-1495908951_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-03093000-1495908956_thumb.jpg

And the tail gunner.............

post-14906-0-35406000-1495908964_thumb.jpg

And the test photo of the 175 which was just a few minutes before 5043

post-14906-0-96824100-1495908978_thumb.jpg

It seems to me that 5043 has been a most reliable locomotive as it has been on numerous tours down this way over these last number of years, and I presume it must be coming near to its next ticket. If it is, I hope it comes out the other side, just as reliable as she's a beautiful example.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

Hi Jinty,

Have to agree 5043 has been a great performer these last few years, have a look at this clip especially at 50 seconds in,

Video by Dave Cooper, one great camera man.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A look on this list states that 5043's boiler ticket was in 2008, and I think they last for 10 years, unless I'm mistaken

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/locos.htm

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Nothing is simple these days is it! Boiler certificates are 10 years but only the first seven are valid for main line operations, unless an intermediate is undertaken after 5 years, as per Ian Riley's fleet and the Carnforth contingent. More complicated obviously, but that's the just. But as somebody else said, Clun Castle is due out later this year, that will be a sight for the Devon banks!

Rich

• Like 1

Seems like trains are on the agenda this week...................

A little trip out in the sunshine today saw this Fairlie pulling down for a replenish at the Harbour Station.

I wanted to try and get one of the WHR Garratts crossing the road, but after a visit to COB Records and a wander around the town, one arrived just as I was pulling out of a side street, onto the main street. to head off!!!! Typical, maybe read the timetable next time.

post-14906-0-41553300-1496262853_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72190400-1496262861_thumb.jpg

Some updates soon, I promise, you've just got to make the most of this lovely weather.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

Well after missing Doncaster because I had to work, I was a bit miffed, so I decided to have a couple of hours today painting, although that didn't go quite as planned either. I spent most of the time cleaning airbrushes.

I have numerous airbrushes, for different jobs, but the two I tried to use today decided that they'd become blocked. Now I'm fastidious with my airbrushes/guns in keeping them clean and ready to use the next time, but I normally place a little piece of masking tape over the hole on the cup to stop the thinners from evaporating, but the thinners had gone and it was dry as Ghandi's flip flop!!!, so a full strip down and service two airbrushes before anything could be done!

Anyway, back to the jobs I'd decided to do.

I'd purchased some figures from a French company that Mike hads recommended and I decided to put a couple together (well glue the head on one at least), and then primer them with Halfords white primer. They are very detailed, and reasonably priced.

This is the company:  http://www.abe28.fr/en/22-figurine-1-43

Here they are after priming.......

post-14906-0-10014600-1496601788_thumb.jpg

I'd also purchased some office furniture from Skytrex for the signal box, so I decided to solder the chair together, clean up and primer/paint those as well

post-14906-0-31935600-1496601797_thumb.jpg

And lastly I built this Skytrex corrugated shed as there is one very similar on platform 1 at Talyllyn. Primered and then roof masked off and GWR cream airbrushed onto the outside walls, which is how it was at Talyllyn.

post-14906-0-79161100-1496601806_thumb.jpg

More very soon, including a continuation of the signal box build, and the imminent arrival of the signals from Jon Fitness (Need to get those platform tops done now!!!!).

Jinty ;)

• Like 10

I went to Doncaster on Saturday, had a thoroughly good day though the budgets elasticity was tested near braking point. Thought the venue was very good (never been before), easily reached on public transport. Well worth a visit as its going to be staged there for the next couple of years at least.

Guy

• RMweb Gold

Well after missing Doncaster because I had to work, I was a bit miffed, so I decided to have a couple of hours today painting, although that didn't go quite as planned either. I spent most of the time cleaning airbrushes.

I have numerous airbrushes, for different jobs, but the two I tried to use today decided that they'd become blocked. Now I'm fastidious with my airbrushes/guns in keeping them clean and ready to use the next time, but I normally place a little piece of masking tape over the hole on the cup to stop the thinners from evaporating, but the thinners had gone and it was dry as Ghandi's flip flop!!!, so a full strip down and service two airbrushes before anything could be done!

Anyway, back to the jobs I'd decided to do.

I'd purchased some figures from a French company that Mike hads recommended and I decided to put a couple together (well glue the head on one at least), and then primer them with Halfords white primer. They are very detailed, and reasonably priced.

This is the company:  http://www.abe28.fr/en/22-figurine-1-43

Here they are after priming.......

attachicon.gifTally 221.jpg

I'd also purchased some office furniture from Skytrex for the signal box, so I decided to solder the chair together, clean up and primer/paint those as well

attachicon.gifTally 222.jpg

And lastly I built this Skytrex corrugated shed as there is one very similar on platform 1 at Talyllyn. Primered and then roof masked off and GWR cream airbrushed onto the outside walls, which is how it was at Talyllyn.

attachicon.gifTally 223.jpg

More very soon, including a continuation of the signal box build, and the imminent arrival of the signals from Jon Fitness (Need to get those platform tops done now!!!!).

Jinty ;)

Those figurines are stunningly well detailed. Very reasonable for the price especially when you consider that we used to call this company All Bl**dy Expensive.

Thought I'd help Jinty with an update

Bit of progress on Jintys station building

I redid the roof ,I didn't like the paper way so went with slaters 7mm roof tiles ,added lead round chimney and edge of the roof

Also changed sign ,I had an accident with the old one and had to change to a different one,so it's now the "red lion" (hope you don't mind jints ) I can change to something else

Also added a holding for the "refreshment room" sign

Ordered some station signs off imterweb so will have the other refreshment sign that sticks out from the building

Not far off now

attachicon.gifIMG_0686.JPG

Brian

I'm really pleased Brian, I couldn't of asked for better, you've done an outstanding job on it.

I'll have to get my finger out and get the platforms in place ready for it.

Jinty ;)

Superb, I just seen this over on the O gauge scale modellers group on Facebook.

Agreed Steve, he's done a superb job on it.

Those figurines are stunningly well detailed. Very reasonable for the price especially when you consider that we used to call this company All Bl**dy Expensive.

I didn't know they were called that.

I thought they looked very detailed, therefore I thought I'd try a few.

Good see you back Jint's and all those goodies must have you eager with the bit between the teeth.

Craig.

Yes Craig, lots of things happening, collecting signals off Jon this week, Minerva Panniers in a few weeks, B-set that I've just recently placed on the track, and the footings arranged for the new shed at the bottom of the garden as well. I am thinking that the larger shed that I've decided on could have a 'slight' representation of Brecon's bay and No1 platform,  that Talyllyn was fed from, inside it. ;)

All in all, some impetus to keep things rolling along, a few other little jobs to do as well, including a few pieces of coaching stock.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Steve ,Ive found myself going on the Facebook groups more and more these days ,they're a very friendly bunch

Brian

Thanks Brian, when I set up the group I wanted it to be an all inclusive group to share projects and knowledge. There's some superb modelling shared on there.
  • Like 1

Definitely agree with you there Steve ,there's some lovely work on there

It all feels like a community everyone's helping each other plus showing off their beautiful work

Brian

To be fair, I've neglected FB lately as other things have taken priority, but back on there tonight and reading back through a fair chunk of stuff and the modelling and help is superb!!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve ,Ive found myself going on the Facebook groups more and more these days ,they're a very friendly bunch

Brian

Excellent work on the station building mate, David will be over the moon :D

And as for fb me to mate, I've also found myself posting less and less on forums, as like you say fb is a really friendly bunch :)

Cheers

A little trip top Llangollen on business today, called in at Carrog where I took numerous photos of the SR utility van, the Mk1 BG and numerous of the motorised crane unit stationed at Carrog currently.

Whilst I was there, the regular Black 5, 45337 arrived with a service for Corwen just before I left.

post-14906-0-25530500-1496857962_thumb.jpg

I managed to drive out and pull over the bridge to get this shot as she left as well......

post-14906-0-46807800-1496857973_thumb.jpg

Then once I'd conducted my business in Llangollen, I had a brew on the station and a walk up to the depot where this Bog Cart was being loaded onto its transport.

post-14906-0-80885100-1496857982_thumb.jpg

Then it was off for a nice brew and a natter with Jon Fitness to pick up my signals, and he kindly shown me how easy it is to use the London Road RSU (Which I currently have on order). I'll look forward to getting mine and thanks for the brew and demonstration Jon.

The signals are even better in the flesh, and I have to say Jon is a master at signal building. I can't really get mine out of the box yet as I need to get the platform tops in place and covered/painted/whatever I decide, before puitting them in place, but I'm certain they will just make the layout.

Seems like I'm posting more prototype stuff lately than updates, but I can assure you that there are some bits going on and I will take some photos when I've got something decent to show.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Ooh a Derby Lightweight single unit at Llangollen, I think a trip over is order  :sungum:

Nice pics Jints

Craig.

************** PAH, just re-read your post .... it's being loaded .... to go away somewhere else  :cry:  I missed it ? *****************

Edited by muddys-blues

Ooh a Derby Lightweight single unit at Llangollen, I think a trip over is order  :sungum:

Nice pics Jints

Craig.

************** PAH, just re-read your post .... it's being loaded .... to go away somewhere else  :cry:  I missed it ? *****************

Hi Craig.

It was the visitor for the DMU Gala weekend.  5 DMUs running in total.   And, no, I didn't make it, unfortunately, but it was a good and successful Gala from what I hear.

Rod

You and me both Brian,

I've had a busy day today, unfortunately not on Talyllyn Junction, or the WB, but packing my bits for a few days away in the Lake District.

A must will be the Bowness to Haverthwaite via Lakeside station trip, which I did in 2003, and enjoyed immensely.

I did manage a little time to put some paint on the figures I primed, which are coming along quite nicely, and a touch of weathering on the corrugated lamp hut that sat on Tallylyn's platform, near the barrow crossing. I think some toning down is now needed to finish it off.

post-14906-0-55989800-1497193453_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 13