Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Fast start with DCC

mikeglr

I have just moved from N gauge where control was by DCC back to OO. In view of the increased size of rolling stock etc.. I  now only have room for an "L" shaped layout. It will be from small station terminus to fiddle yard. If, for example I have a tunnel entrance as the entrance to the fiddle yard, I will want trains exiting the tunnel to be going at normal running speed. However, If I have programmed in a slow steady start to the loco, can I overide this somehow when travelling from fiddle yard to station? Or should I stick to non DCC control? My controller is a Digitrax Zephyr. Hope this nakes sense!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

With Lenz decoders you can turn on F4 which disables the acceleration and deceleration values (CV 3 and CV 4).  However, I don't know whether this is also a function of other makes of decoder.

Others asked the same question and the answer is the same: no, if you set a certain acceleration value it applies for both directions. The solution is simple: set the Acc. value to 0 and don't turn up the throttle in one go :rolleyes: :P

/quote]

But that would have been the wrong, or at least incomplete, answer to the question.

There are DCC controllers which can help in this regard. NCE for instance can change CV3 and CV4 at the push of a button or two.

And ZIMO decoders have as standard, several different ways to change momentum, in real time, even as the model is moving. Not only will this help with the OPs quest, but it also allows the possibility to switch instantly from 'Heavy Train'to'Light Engine' settings in CVs 3 and 4 to improve the realism of operations.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived