Hornby GNER Class 43 / HST Lighting Help

daz9284

Dear all, I have just joined the forum and this is my first post.

After many years (15+) of being out of the hobby of OO gauge model railways, I am venturing back into the world, and going DCC.

I have recently purchased a pair of Hornby DCC fitted power cars (1x dummy and 1x powered). However, when I put the direction of travel switch to ,'forward', the tail lights of both the powered car and dummy car come on, and when the switch is changed to 'backwards', the headlights on both come on.

How do i change it so that the lights in the powered car are correct for the direction of travel.

I am using a digitrax zephr controller (and I have never changed CV values etc).

all the best, and many thanks in advance

Darryl

How did you set the addresses of the two vehicles? I always set up both vehicles in the direction of travel together when setting the addresses and using this method I have never had problems with lights directions

Hope this helps

I assume that the dummy has a decoder fitted.  From what you say, one is correct and one is incorrect. 

The first thing to do is to decide which car, the power or the dummy, you want to use as the lead car when your controller shows the direction of travel as forwards.  Once you have decided, we'll deal with the power car first.  Does it travel forwards if it's the lead car or backwards if it's the trailer car when you want it to? If it runs the wrong way then firstly read the value of CV29, then add one.  Typical values will be 38 or 39.  That should reverse the direction of travel.

Now check the lighting.  When you select forward on your controller, the chosen 'lead' car should show a white light and the trailing car a red light.  If one or both do not, put the offending cars on the program track - one at a time - and change both CV49 and CV50 so that their values are swapped.  Typically, one will be 16 and the other 0.

This should sort things out.  I've just had to do the same to my class 43 and I only know how due to the expert help offered elsewhere on this site so a search on key words like 'problems with directional lighting' will probably uncover the wise words of help.

Let us know how you get on. 

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the advice. I will give it a go next week and see what happens (the last few weeks I have been so busy and also in the past few weeks been on a stag doo and 2 weddings).

I better find the manual and see how to change the CV settings.

Brittannia: they both came set to code 43.

Sir Topham Hatt: Yes the dummy has a decoder fitted, and I want to keep it as it is now ie. when in forward on the controller the powered car leads (it is just the tail lights come on).

all the best

darryl

• 3 weeks later...

I've done it :-)

had to change the lighting values around and also the direction one, which turned out to be set to 2 on CV 29, so i changed it to 3 and now everything is sorted and working in the correct direction. 

thanks for all your help

regards,

darryl

Archived