RMweb

Wiring up Cobolt Switches and Point Motors Non DCC

Hi all, I am normally a Garden Railway man. However since inheriting some of Andy Rush 00 Stock and Track I have decided to start a small 00 Gauge Colliery Railway based near Healey Mills In the West Riding.

I have some Cobolt Point Motors and some of the Superb Cobolt S Levers. However I am totally baffled as to how to wire them up.

The Points are easy and I can get these to work with a 2 Wire 12 DC Power Supply.

What baffles me completely is the fact that all the Cobolt Diagrams show a 3 Wire Power Supply. I just need to put the 12v Power into the Switches and use 2 Wires to each Point to Power them. How hard can this be? All of the Diagrams in the Cobolt Manuals show Yards of Complex Circuitry that does not interest me.

Although the Layout is DCC I am using Frog Juicers so no complexity with Point Motors or Levers is required.

Had I chosen to use DPDT Switches it would have been done by now. HELPPPP PLEASE.....

JonD

JonD

Connect the wires of the lever harness for the levers as follows

Join Orange and Green together and couple to one side of your supply

Join Blue and Red together and couple to the other side of the supply

Couple the Black wire to one side of the motor eg No1 terminal

Couple the Grey wire to the other side of the motor eg No8 terminal

If the turnout goes in the wrong direction with respect to the lever, just swap the motor connections over

JonDConnect the wires of the lever harness for the levers as followsJoin Orange and Green together and couple to one side of your supplyJoin Blue and Red together and couple to the other side of the supplyCouple the Black wire to one side of the motor eg No1 terminalCouple the Grey wire to the other side of the motor eg No8 terminalIf the turnout goes in the wrong direction with respect to the lever, just swap the motor connections over

Geoff, many thanks for that will give it a go in the Morning.

JonD

Dear Geoff,

So many thanks just test rigged a point up. Success what a relief, so many thanks glad these are now working.

What I guess was causing the Confusion is that of the odd Switches that I got from Andy, the Black and Grey were soldered togetheron 5 of the Point Levers. No doubt for some complex wiring he was using. I had just cut out the main wiring when dismantling his 20ft River. He had also heat shrinked 3 Wires together that he was not using. Think I would have had less trouble had there been an internal diagram in the Cobolt Instructions showing what inside couples to what wire. Clearly better brains than mine have worked this all out.

Just to clarify this is what I have now done to the Harness, in Colour Order:-

Green - Not Used

Black - Not Used

Red - Not Used

Blue - - Coupled to Red from 2 Wire Power Supply

Orange - - - Coupled to Green from 2 Wire Power Supply

Black - To Point

Grey - To Point

Green - - - Coupled to Orange from 2 Wire Power Supply

Red - - Coupled to Blue from 2 Wire Power Supply

What this has done is to create a DPDT Switch, perfect.

Not sure what the 3 Unused wires are for, hoping they were a Changeover Switch but I guess that they are for Passing Contacts.

Many thanks again, I am sure that this will give others some insight.

JonD

The three wires left over are the passing contact switch

If you require a SPDT switch on the lever for another purpose, you could gain one of the ones that is already in use for the point motor, by using a two rail DC supply +DC 0V -DC this would give you one SPDT switch to operate the point motor and one SPDT switch for something else

You say that a previous owner had coupled all the Blacks, and all the Greys together from 5 levers

Well if you turn around what I said to do, and couple the Black and Grey to the supply and the joined up Blue and Red to one side of the motor with the joined up Orange and Green to the other side of the motor, the end result is that it works the point motor, just the same, which is how the previous owner has had them wired

Probably not the place for this, but a quick experiment ti see if I can niw post pucs on here. A shot of my Layout after 3 days Work. Not counting the day (last Sunday) when I built the Baseboards. No sign of Cobolt Switches yet, will be doing these today I hooe.

post-12277-0-83033000-1432443509.jpg

Aha appears that Pics work in the same way as G Central, this being the case I will start a blog if my Layout.

JinD

• 1 year later...

Further to my issues with Cobolt Levers. I am now trying to get my Dapol Signals working with these Levers. Last Year at Warley Show the man from Cobolt says Simples, just wire to the Passing Contact. Here we are a Year later nearly and I am no further forwards. But as ever I find that all the Diagrams with Cobolt relate to DCC Issues and Simple Issues are almost impossible to fathom out, hence my pleasure when Geoff Cook put me right on my Points. Now I would love to get a simple answer for the Signals.

I have 3 Dapol Electrical Signals. These have 4 Wires 2 Yellow Wires a Red one and a Black one. Which Contacts on the Cobolt Levers do I Wire these to to get a Working Signal?

All help will be graciously recieved. Thanks in advance.

JonD

JonD

If you have the instructions for the Dapol signals you should see that you need an AC supply of 15 volts

The power supply couples to the red and black wires, and the two yellow wires go to the switch eg: push button

They operate by pushing the pushbutton which causes the signal to move, pushing the pushbutton again will make the signal return to it's previous  position, as you can appreciate their is no way to successfully sync the signal with the points and keep it in sync.

You can use the Cobalt point levers by using the momentary switch which is the Green, Black and Red wires which  are at the moment unused

The black is the common wire you need to connect this to one of the yellow wires

The Green and Red need connecting together then connecting to the other yellow wire

So with the power on move the lever back and forth should see the signal change position, it will be a 50/50 chance if the signal is moving the correct way, down when the lever is away from you and up when the lever is towards you 

If it's the wrong way move the lever half way and then back again could put the signal correct, I hope as I haven't been able to try this

Geoff

Archived