Hi all,

I am currently undergoing a small rolling stock project for my main layout Dunoon. I have recently purchased the Hornby Railroad TTS Sound Gadwell 4469 locomotive. My aim is to paint it into BR Express Blue. I have also purchased numberplates from ModelMaster, but am unsure of where they go. They include - 

2x Commonwealth of Australia plates

2x 60012 plates

BR Early Emblem decals

BR ScR shedcodes

Do the 60012 plates go on the cab or one on the smokebox with one spare? If it goes on the smokebox I will need to order the number decals for the side of the cab. Also, I am going to use Tamiya spray paints to repaint it. Which one of these colors best matches BR Express Blue?- http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/tamiya_spray/kit85001.htm

I am using this as it is the only spray paint available from my local hobby shop.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Hi Peter,

The number plate is fitted to the front of the smokebox only. The other one can go into your spares bin for the inevitable (at least from my personal experience!) loss to the carpet monster. For the cabside numbers I usually use HMRS Pressfix decals but there are a number of waterslide types on the market which could be easier to use. If using waterslide decals it is always best on a gloss surface and it's handy to use a decal setting solution to help hide the film before varnishing. A number of decal setters are available in Australia. I usually use Micro Set but have recently bought bottles of the 'Mr. Hobby' versions. These are Mr. Mark Softer & Mr. Mark Setter and they seem to work fairly well. The softeners are handy to get decals to conform to awkward shapes.

Dave 

Archived