LSWR Inspired toilet...

Hopefully this fits here...if not Mods feel free to put where appropriate?

I've recently been helping my mate Pete refurbish his downstairs toilet loosely inspired by a LSWR theme after finding some leftover paint in one of his sheds that was "near enough" to get away with hopefully.

Originally it was an outside accessed toilet with accompanying coal hole and scullery, over the years the latter two were demolished as the kitchen became larger and access to the toilet changed from outside to via the kitchen...thus an inside toilet but retaining that outside feel (cold with a few spiders etc)

Being finished in floor to ceiling faded primrose yellow and usually full of junk it wasn't the most appealing of places, but had a strange appeal as an outdated contrast to the rest of the house which has been modernized a lot more, the vertically piped pan and overhead cistern being quite unusual these days.

With a bit of encouragement from me he set to work, fitting tongue and groove style MDF panels to half height with new flooring and all exposed supply pipework boxed in etc to tidy things up...painted in green and cream its quite a nice place to be now!

I framed a vintage timetable, map and an iconic SR poster to go on the walls, and a green light switch rescued from a skip was a bonus find...I wanted Bakelite on a wooden pattress but they are a bit pricy for what is essentially a fun project.

A few more tweeks are planned to get it finished, though his wife is not impressed with our misplaced dedication as she has a long list of jobs needing doing and thinks we have gone too far on this little project...she certainly won't let us do anything with the modern UPVC window which is letting the side down at present.

A couple of phone pics of the job as it stands this evening below, along with one of how it was a couple of weeks ago once a lot of junk had been removed.

Petes%20Bog%20002_zpsn0g0xlbh.jpg

Petes%20Bog%20001_zpskbbygf3d.jpg

new%20214_zpsmiutdz6t.jpg

I see someone managed to find a new bog roll but couldn't be bothered to fit it onto the holder.

One of my pet hates too*...I'm hoping the new look will encourage them to keep the place in proper order now.

*That and people who put the roll on incorrectly, with the paper hanging down against the wall :nono:

Archived