Skaleby Quay

andyram

The only Metcalfe kits planned for the build are the retaining walls that will be used to separate the station area from the raised sea front road that will run behind. This evening, when I should have been preparing Skaleby West for an exhibition, I became distracted by experimenting with the track layout for Skaleby Quay. Here is the latest idea.

post-13478-0-85983400-1478297179_thumb.jpeg

In the centre is the line that will run into the station platform complete with run round loop. This could be accessed by a three way point on the extreme right of the layout as shown in the photograph. To the front a point will run off the run round loop and access one long siding, which could become two. This will be the quayside and will be used by fish traffic. To the rear the right fork of the three way point will serve a bay platform with a siding running off to a goods shed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

With the spare room used for storage over Christmas things had stalled on Skaleby Quay. Today I have had another look at the possible track layout. Here is the latest idea.post-13478-0-45545900-1484431412_thumb.jpeg

I have, for the time being, ditched the three way point idea. Now the loop will be accessed from an express point with y points off the loop to feed into the goods area which, at present, will be made up of three sidings. I think the longest siding may have a goods shed with the other two feeding the quay.

The platform will still be an island design with the second road fed from another express point which will be on the second, still be built, baseboard.

• Like 4

Unless there is a reason, I would avoid using any curves in a yard ladder, such as your use of a Y point and curve, as it creates an awkward wobble.

Thanks. I assume you are referring to the shortest siding on the left of the picture. I must admit I don't think it looks right either. I want to straighten that siding up so it will serve the quay. I wonder if I could take the curve off the first y point too start the points for the sidings straight from the loop.

Unless there is a reason, I would avoid using any curves in a yard ladder, such as your use of a Y point and curve, as it creates an awkward wobble.

Thanks. I assume you are referring to the shortest siding on the left of the picture. I must admit I don't think it looks right either. I want to straighten that siding up so it will serve the quay. I wonder if I could take the curve off the first y point too start the points for the sidings straight from the loop.

Andy, I think you'll find Trevor means both points feeding the 3 Sidings, it produces quite a wiggle as he says, 2 x Right hands would be better mate.

Andy, I think you'll find Trevor means both points feeding the 3 Sidings, it produces quite a wiggle as he says, 2 x Right hands would be better mate.

Thanks. I will try that arrangement. I will see if I have any right hand points around in stock.

Thank you to Andy and Trevor for their advice. No right hand points in stock so I have mocked up an alternative with left hand ones turned upside down. The longest of the three sidings would probably still house the goods shed with the middle and left one serving the quay. There would need to be a curve off the final point to straighten up the shortest siding to serve the quayside. The jury is out on whether this one would be a siding too far.post-13478-0-03094700-1484677875_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of right hand points have now been purchased and so I have mocked up the updated track plan. Of the three sidings I plan to put the goods shed on the longest one to the right, nearest the run round loop. The middle siding may be the shortest, reduced so that road access to the goods shed can be depicted. The third siding will run towards the corner and will sit above the quayside walls and will be for the fish traffic.

The small stretch of wood depicts the site of the platform. A y point, sited on the second board will provide access to the other platform face.post-13478-0-59124100-1485733286_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks Andy. Looking at the picture I may have to pull things across to the left of the board slightly in order to incorporate the low relief street scene at the rear. But the goods yard does give lots of shunting potential as it will almost be an inglenook within a larger layout.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Progress to report!

After months of being stored on the floor of the spare room, the main Skaleby Quay baseboard has been lifted onto the cupboard tops to allow serious work to begin. The second, smaller board has also been built and placed in position. Track has been loosely laid to check the track plan and some playing (sorry testing) has taken place. Some cunning rearrangement has seen the track joined to the main board of my Skaleby West layout to almost form a mini terminus to terminus branch. It has been quite an enjoyable afternoon!

The pictures show one of the branch trains, formed of two surburban coaches and the J94, at the mocked up Skaleby Quay platform. This is a single line and will require shunt release. Behind is the single road loco shed. On the near side is the main platform road and run round loop with the sidings for the goods yard and quay side to the front.

So far so good. I may need to play around a little bit as the loop only allow two coach trains and I would like to cram in three coach trains if I can.

post-13478-0-24418900-1487269480_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-48502200-1487269735_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A short update. This weekend has seen some test running. I have already discovered that the run round loop is far too short. The two suburban coaches can only just fit in to allow a loco to run round, even then perfect placement is needed. I will need to look at how to extend this, ideally to allow a three coach train. I knew the current loop was far too short for this. Now I realise just how short it is.

One other problem has been the front coupling on my trusty Jinty catching on the points. This has not happened when it has worked Skaleby West and has not happened with other locos. It could just be a dropped coupling.

Here is a rather poor tablet picture of the station and shed area.post-13478-0-49024400-1488153084_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Morning Andy, Loco Couplings are a pain, I use Kadees so its even more noticeable.

Re your loop I work on the premis of 11 inches pre coach, (Mk 1's), plus 6 inches at each end for clearence, so for 3 coaches its 45 inches between the inner ends of the Points.

Other than that it's looking very good mate.

Morning Andy, Loco Couplings are a pain, I use Kadees so its even more noticeable.

Re your loop I work on the premis of 11 inches pre coach, (Mk 1's), plus 6 inches at each end for clearence, so for 3 coaches its 45 inches between the inner ends of the Points.

Other than that it's looking very good mate.

Thanks Andy. I will work on measuring up using the dimensions you have given me. I would like to be able to run three coach portions of expresses (eg Southern region ACE) so three Mark 1's and a 4-6-0 or Pacific loco. These would be interspersed with local trains. I also want the ability to shunt freight in the quayside area with fish traffic to and from the quay and general freight to the goods shed. All in a space that is 7ft long, 2ft deep with the need to curved around to the fiddle yard on the right. I don't want to pack too much in ha ha!

• Like 2

A couple more pictures showing the current track layout at Skaleby Quay. The first shows a passenger service from Skaleby West arriving behind a Midland 3F. The loco is seen entering the loop. To the right of the picture you can see the entrance to the trio of sidings that will form the goods area. The sidings can be seen in the secon picture. The goods shed will be on the longest siding with the two nearest sidings serving the quayside. This track layout may have to change once I extend the loop to accommodate longer trains.post-13478-0-53742000-1488235949_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-55852700-1488235972_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Just nipped back into the spare room armed with tape measure. I reckon I could get the 45 inch length in and still leave room for a curve into the fiddle yard. It may fit better if I straighten it out a little. That could mean the loss of the second platform line, but it could be workable by providing a platform space on the loop. That would mean a rethink of the goods yard too. I need some more straight track pieces to allow me to experiment with it. I will see if I can pick some up.

• Like 3

A brief visit to the Mansfield show this morning has resulted in the purchase of five more short straight pieces of track. That should give me enough track to extend the main loop for the station. Sadly school paperwork meant there was no time to play around with the track plan today. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Over two months since the last update. Work commitments continue to get in the way of progress. This evening I have finally connected up the additional track pieces to complete the extended loop. The station has now moved to the back of the board (to the right of the picture). From the loop a long siding will possibly serve an island platform giving three platform faces. To the left of this I have mocked up three very short sidings. The loco shed stands over the longest of these. Whether this remains here is open to debate. The two points to the bottom left of the picture have been added with the plan to move the quayside sidings to the other side of the board. I still have not finalised the plan and there is much still to ponder. One thing for sure is the extended station will remain because it will allow three coach passenger trains. I have an idea the fish trains could be run into the single line platform face and then be reversed onto the quayside. The train engine could then be serviced with a pilot engine forming the train for the return journey.

post-13478-0-21630600-1494456239_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A brief visit to the Mansfield show this morning has resulted in the purchase of five more short straight pieces of track. That should give me enough track to extend the main loop for the station. Sadly school paperwork meant there was no time to play around with the track plan today. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow.

Glad our traders were able to sort you out Andy :)

That's looking better Andy, the longer Platform for 3 Coaches will definitely help the overall look.

Very good mate.

Thanks Andy. I wanted to get three coach trains in so I can run a portion of an express with a larger loco to depict the seaside specials from the days of steam. Local trains of two coaches will then use the second platform face. Parcels trains and some specials may use the bay / third platform. The fish trains will pull into that before reversing onto the quay sidings which, in the current plan, is at the bottom of the picture. I am still undecided whether the other sidings will be a loco shed or a general goods yard.

Glad our traders were able to sort you out Andy :)

Always a good show Ian, I usually end up spending money there.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Another update, and another slight change to the track plan, with another in the offing. I have still not been happy with the arrangement of the sidings. The trouble is i want to pack so much in. The station, with room for three coaches is now sorted and that layout will not change. But the sidings are causing me a headache. I want to have the opportunity to shunt, handle general freight as well as the all important quayside. I also want the loco shed. Yes, I know I am being ambitious.

The last plan made the loco shed look too cramped up against the station so I moved it to the opposite side of the board so that it spans one of the pair of sidings on the right hand side. The other siding could be used for loco storage or servicing.

post-13478-0-41590300-1497132785_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-11607100-1497133048_thumb.jpeg

This area seems to work better with this structure. But the sidings on the opposite side still do not look right. At present there are four sidings. The longest serves the third platform face and, I had considered, could be used for a mixture of passenger and parcels trains. Then I have the fan of three sidings where the loco shed originally stood. Now I think this would suit the goods area with the two sidings nearest the front of the board representing the quayside.

post-13478-0-50918500-1497133234_thumb.jpeg

I have tested this out and can get three Hornby fish vans on the front siding, but it is cramped. The other question is that, even if I can fit the goods shed over one siding, it would look to squashed. My current thought is to take out one of these sidings, leaving the two outer sidings and removing the middle of the three. The front siding could be realigned and straightened slightly. Thoughts welcome.

Edited by andyram

Morning Andy, I agree that maybe removing the middle one would make it look less cramped and also room for more wagons in each siding.

I personally don't like Engine Sheds on BLT's as they take up a lot of room. Again one line there as a head shunt for the Yard / Quay might work.

Again I would say do away with the 3rd Platform face, unless you want more passenger workings than Freight.

Edited by Andrew P

I'd def lose sidings and go for longer as opposed to more.

The third wagon fouls the other siding which I don't think would have been allowed anyway.

Sometimes less is more.

I'd probably just have the two, but much longer sidings.

Edited by BlackRat