Bachmann class 47 buffer beam detail

Hi guys

Starting to lose the will to live here.

Set up ready to add the add on parts to my new 47 164 from Bachmann.

The instructions are not all that clear but say how the pipes should be added to the buffer beam.

Thing is, unless I am getting it wrong the holes in the beam are not the right size to take the pipes????

Has anyone got any guidance on fitting these parts.

There are also 8 angled bits that I have no idea at all about.

Please help, not got a lot more hair left these days lol

Small drill in hole will enlarge it :)

Stewart

Thanks, gone down that route lol, and just using a photo to add the pipes, leaving of steam heat as she has eth anyway.

But what I am puzzled by are the 8 little angled bits, what and where do they go?

post-1423-0-50787700-1433166118_thumb.jpg

Thanks, gone down that route lol, and just using a photo to add the pipes, leaving of steam heat as she has eth anyway.

But what I am puzzled by are the 8 little angled bits, what and where do they go?

They fit onto the bogies on each corner in the drilled holes, but then usually catch the buffer beam cowling! 

Good morning,

Various images of the bogies of 47828 at Norwich on 30th November 2014.

Things to note:

Guard Irons (life guards etc) bolted on to the 'open' end of the bogies.

The large return spring pulls the brake blocks off the wheels when the brakes are released 

Each corner of the bogie has a bearing into which the corner brake arm fits.  Two of the eight corners tend to get oily, these are under the main oil fillers, so get a constant oiling when the loco gets maintained.

The brakework at the 'open' ends of the bogies has linkage from the handbrake mechanisms (one in each cab)

Hope that helps placing the detail parts.  Let me know if you want more pictures or information.

post-2484-0-96879700-1433399526_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-58211200-1433399544_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-37030200-1433399561_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-20679000-1433399580_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-08646700-1433399595_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you want anything specific, as I'm doing exams on 805 and 813 on Sunday.

Doing exams! wow how cool is that.

I never passed for 47s but had a few goes under supervision and loved them :) good to see they are still with us.

Thanks for your help

Mike

Hi guys

Starting to lose the will to live here.

Set up ready to add the add on parts to my new 47 164 from Bachmann.

The instructions are not all that clear but say how the pipes should be added to the buffer beam.

Thing is, unless I am getting it wrong the holes in the beam are not the right size to take the pipes????

Has anyone got any guidance on fitting these parts.

There are also 8 angled bits that I have no idea at all about.

Please help, not got a lot more hair left these days lol

Yes the pips on the pipes are too big to fit the bufferbeam holes  - a PITA - the pipes are also a bit on the heavy side. The "Red" pipes supplied look more like steam heat pipes ? the 2 air brake pipes appear missing ? from the 47/7 detailing packet. 

• 6 months later...

To be honest, Superglue is the best for fixing pipes in with. Use one with a low viscosity and dispense a small amount out onto a spare piece of plasticard or something similar, then use either a fine piece of wire or a cocktail stick to apply the glue around the inside if the bufferbeam - if the glue is runny enough, it's own surface tension ( or lack of ) should let it run around the diameter of the pipes making a good seal.

I tend to make my own pipes these days out of 0.5 brass wire and then solder some 0.33 wire for the taps, makes them a heck of a lot more durable than the plastic ones.

cheers

Andy

Archived