Photo of Hawksworth FK

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Hopefully someone might be able to help me here?

In the past I have seen a picture of an otherwise all MK1 rake with a single Hawksworth FK in the consist. The entire train was in Maroon.

I've done a search of the forum but come up blank.

Does anyone know the picture I'm talking about and provide a link please?

Thanks.

I thought I'd seen such a photo, but I'd misremembered; instead, I'd seen three different shots of Up expresses from the West Country with a Hawkesworth BCK leading a rake of Mk1 stock. The photos were taken between 1962 and 1967; in the latter, the Hawkesworth was in blue and grey, whilst two of the Mk1s were maroon. Two of the shots were of the Up Cornish Riviera; perhaps Googling this train between 1962 and 1967 might find the photo you're looking for?

As an aside, ISTR that the Hawkesworths were used because the compartment doors were large enough to admit a catering trolley, which could then be stored securely there after the door was locked with a carriage key.

Just a thought have you contacted the coach Maestro Chrisf of this parish ?

To save you the trouble, the pic you seek does not come to mind but I will look out for it when I'm searching for something else.  It's amazing what I find that way ...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all.

I was sure the picture I had in mind was colour and was an all maroon rake. I have a niggling feeling it was taken outside Paddington.

However further searching has revealed this picture

3871528411_5698740b0c_z.jpg?zz=152_Woodborough_1A62 upSun-CornRiv 1964 by robertcwp, on Flickr

So maybe I was getting confused and this is the one I was remembering (fifth coach is the FK)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's not under the glazed arches, so therefore it must be outside Paddington.  So you were right...................

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a closer view:

35610130112_35d94b8d13.jpg52_Woodborough_1A62_upSun-CornRiv_c1964_crop by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

There is an R C Riley colour photo of D1049 passing Subway Junction in 1963 with a mixed livery train including a maroon Hawksworth FK which has appeared in several books.  It is on page 61 of Diesels Around London A Colour Portfolio by David Cross.

Archived