Unofficial map of London Underground and Overground

• RMweb Gold

An excellent challenge to the official version.

Click on a line, or the name of the line in the key bottom right, and the line flashes on the map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Sameboat_temp_cc4.svg

You can also search for a station using Edit > Find (or CTRL+F) in your browser. It will highlight on the map.

Martin.

An excellent challenge to the official version.

Click on the name of a line in the key bottom right, and the line flashes on the map ...

If you click on all of them it pulsates like a disco...!

Nice to see Crossrail appearing on these sort of maps, though I remain mystified why Thameslink is ignored. If you're a tourist at, say, Farringdon or St Paul's and want to go to Blackfriars for Tate Modern, this map is wretchedly unhelpful (just like LU's official map).

Paul

I've seen this before - variations on the idea emerged when Overground came onstream (and as an Overground map it is very effective).

I think it's very clever, but there are some significant problems: check out the treatment of Farringdon, for example, which is supposed to be the single biggest interchange in London when both Thameslink 2000 and Crossrail come onstream. 

Beck tried in his early Underground maps to have one vertical axis - part of the Northern line - and one horizontal - part of the Central - which he felt made it much easier to orientate yourself around everything else. I wonder if a map orientated around Thameslink and Crossrail would be the modern equivalent?

Paul

Yes, I spotted that too - it took me a few minutes to figure out that it was part of the Northern Line as we know it (or knew it!), particularly as the Northern Line is probably the one I am least familiar with. :)

• RMweb Gold

Seems they have  turned the Edgware branch and Charing Cross branch  into the 'Edgware Line' for some reason.

I think that's due to the upcoming Battersea branch. :locomotive:

It's also due to the long term intention to eliminate the junctions at Camden Town, but this is dependant on a significant rebuild of the station there to improve passenger interchange between the separated lines.

This provides some additional background;

http://electric-rly-society.org.uk/transformation-of-london-undergrounds-northern-line/

Archived