RMweb

DIGITRAX DCS 200

dunnyrail

Hi I am having fun and games with this beast. I can get Trains to run OK, it works fine with my Frogjuicers too. I have a Programming Track Installed and for the life of me cannot get any changes to CV's that work at all. I am totally confused by the Options:-

Paged Mode

Physical Register Mode

Direct Mode

Operations Mode

As described in the Manual.

I have in fact tried all 4 with a simple update of the Loc Adress and return the Screen Comment "No-D" on all except Operations Mode which returns "Good" but still does not change the CV. I know that I am missing something but what?

Heeeelllpp!

JonD

If that stuck, I'd suggest contacting the retailer who supplied your system and get them to explain it to you. 

However, basics:

1 -  Programming Track (aka "Service Mode" programming).  This needs two wires from the Programming Track outputs of the command station to an isolated piece of track (a short straight is ideal).    There are three types of Service Mode programming in your system;  Paged (this is fairly old, but should work with many decoders),  Register (antique, doubt any decoders on sale need it), and Direct (newer, most decoders should support this, a few will require you use "Direct").   So, on the Programming Track, I suggest you use either Direct or Paged.   (and forget about Register).

2  - Programming on the Main Line (aka "Operations Mode" programming).   This is programming directed at a specific loco (so you need its address before you start; usually its the loco under control of a specific throttle).   You can program a loco as its moving, whilst others are doing other things on the layout. 

So, to change a loco address, put loco on the Programming Track, and try either Direct or Paged.   If the loco doesn't respond to a "Read" command, then something is wrong - try pushing down on the loco, or try the other programming mode.   If that fails, either something wrong with your loco (or conceivably you have a cheap crap old decoder which doesn't support "read" - some ready to run OO maker have been known to put cheap crap decoders in their "DCC fitted" locos) or something wrong with your command station.

NOTE - if you accidentally connect the Main Line (layout wiring) to your Programming Track outputs of the command station you can blow up the programming outputs.  You can do this with a loco or wagon bridging the gap in rails if you create a "programming siding", which is often shown in manuals.  So, do not fit a "programming siding", have a fully independent piece of track.    Only fix to blown programming outputs is to return to retailer, who will in turn, have to send it to the makers.    This risk applies to just about any make of system. 

- Nigel

Nigel,

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried all that you said. Being a belt n braces man I have a separately switched Program Track which has a DPDT Switch to change it from being A Main Line Siding to a Program Road. I also have a DPDT On/Off to Switch the Thing off when I change. Will need to check the wiring if this to see that the Link from Prog to Main is not present when I use the Off Switch. I suspect it is not wired like that so may have blown Programming Circuit as you said. Dratt.

It also appears that I cannot Program on the Main Either,mcould this also be an indication that the Programming Circuit is blown.

Taking back to Supplier not really an option as it was inherited from Andy Rush, may have been trashed before I got it!

Still it runs Trains OK, just that I now have 3 no. 3's! Incidentaly Chips I am trying to change are all Locsound so not crappy old things,

JonD

I don't think you can damage the programming on main components by shorting the programming track outputs.

Programming on main is a little more complicated - some decoders, notably many European brands, do not permit changing of address on the main line.  There are ways round this, by setting CV's in a specific sequence, but its not always obvious how. 

A simpler way of testing programming on main would be to change something obvious in a single loco which is working.  For example, change the lights to flashing, or change the acceleration (CV3) to a high value, see what happens, then to a low value, see what happens, etc..

Digitrax will repair it for you if it is faulty.  There will be a charge, and there is postage, but I suspect cheaper than a new one.  If originally bought through certain   Or, you could use something else for programming. 

As for switched programming/running tracks, I've seen lots and most have struck me as having potential failure places.   I do have one myself, which is reasonably fool-proof: it is an isolated straight on my bench, which can be changed from "running" to "programming" using a DPDT switch (which I know breaks before make).   Even that has some risks if I crock-clip something else to the rails !

- Nigel

After all the hastle of the Digitrax not being able to change the CV's at all I decided to do something about it. I had the following bits n bobs lurking around kind of in the way and not being used to their full potential:-

- A Bit of Melamine 9" x 26"

- Odd bits of Timber

- A Short Length of Code 100 Peco Rail

- An ESU Chip Tester

- A Rolling Road

- A Zimo Z21 DCC System, impulse purchase at the NEC Last Year or the Year before.

So I set the Zimo up on a Temporary Lash up to see if I could use it to change CV's, success in a Plate as they say. So the Zimo was the way to go. But as I had the Digitrax already set up on the Layout I decided to make the Zimo an all singing and Dancing DCC Chip Factory with the potential to use it on the Layout should I desire.

So the lash up was mounted on the Melamine, some of the Timber a bit less than 2" x 1" monted on the bottom. Plus the oddments of something smaller on some of the sides. Wired up as follows with NO SWITCHES:-

- Track to Program.

- Rolling Road and Chip Tester to Main.

As the Connections are both to a 2 Way Plug, I can swop them around to make the Track into the Main for a Test should I wish.

There you have it, probably an expensive piece of kit. But at least I can get things done and Tested now. I must say that I am most impressed with the Zimo and its ability to link up to either my iPad or iPhone at will. Certainly this is a very good way to have extra helpers on your layout as is amply demonstrated by PaulRHB when he takes his Layouts on the Road. In fact it was after talking to him that I decided to make the purchase.

[rattachment=586162:image.jpg]

JonD

post-12277-0-76202700-1434352350.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Its well worth having a separate board to progarmme and test locos / Decoders.

I have something similar with the ESU tester btu as I model various scales I have HO/OO, TT, N and HOn3 track all on the same board so I can pretty much programme any loco  apart from O gauge and above. This has come in handy at shows when people have asked if I can test a loco for them or I buy a loco in another scale.

The DCS 100 (similar to the DCS200) is used on the layout and when with the N scale layouts it is also connected to a built in separate piece of track on the layout, whilst the Digitrax DB150 is used with the separate prgramming board (also acts as a back up incase the DCS100 fails).

Archived