The 3-CIG 'Slammer's' last days.

• RMweb Premium

Not a bad record then, almost 50 years and no fault found :lol: I always knew those CIGs were one of the most reliable things BR ever built. B)

And here's 1497 on BM Depot in February with a Cl.455 behind.

Nice photo Western Sunset cool.gif .

The run-down of the 3-CIG 'Slammers' surely heralds the 'Southern Sunset' too ?

Regards.

I took the opportunity yesterday to take my last ride on these venerable and extremely comfortable machines on a route that I have a soft spot for. Years of memories of watching them trundle over the bridge at Lymington made it too hard to resist. The Lymington branch racks up another last to follow on from the last steam branch; I wonder if 2050 will be seeing the last Desiro service on the branch with as much interest?

Anyway, I gather there will be a more professional video coming soon; more details in due course and for a good cause!

great video clips Andy, sounds like theres been a few RMWebers riding the line in the past few weeks and more to come in the final weeks/days , looks like they have given 1497 agood clean while it was out of service the other week , heres the green machine out today between the showers heading back to Brock..

post-6833-127291492593.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the vids Andy. It still somehow amazes me how lightly these units carry their 47 years since first introduction. The basic design didn't alter much from that on the subsequent deliveries yet they still don't look to be "old" at all. It's just a thought but with 450 operation in the future what chance of seeing through London trains once again with a split : combine at Brock? Not every train but perhaps a few peak and summer Saturday ones. Every up would need to be balanced by a down of course making for two shunts in a very short space of time but you never know ......

Love the ducks at 2.00 minutes on the full trip as well :rolleyes: Always good to have the locals in on the action!

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, I gather there will be a more professional video coming soon; more details in due course and for a good cause!

Excellent videos Andy biggrin.gif

With Andys permission here are a few details of what some South West Trains staff are doing to celebrate the last day on the 22nd May.

At Lymington town there will be a stall selling raffle tickets, dvd's and limited edition mouse mats.

All profits in aid of Help for Heroes.

The raffle tickets are only available on the day but the dvd's and any mousemats left from the day will be available for a limited period from Modern Structures in Miniature Show stand only.

If you are going to a show that MSIM are attending give Nigel a ring and see what he has left, the dvd's can be produced to order but he will not be carrying them as normal stock so you will need to ring to book them for collection.

Unfortunately they cannot do mail order on these due way they have been produced in sponsored batches for the event.

post-6968-127305689792.jpg

Cab ride from Brockenhurst to Lymington & return including lineside shots.

3rd Rail Roundup, varied shots at Clapham of todays 3rd rail units and a few clips of Eurostars & Javelins in London too.

SE28 the superb layout from Basingstoke & North Hants MRC.

(No Commentary, similar style to the model railway videos produced by MSIM)

post-6968-127305712256.jpg

3rd Rail mousemat, these are only available on the day and any left from the event will only be available from MSIM at shows so HfH gets maximum benefit.

The Raffle, tickets available at Lymington town on the 22nd May Event, prizes as listed below.

post-6968-127305723997.jpg

Prizes donated by Bachmann & Traction magazine.

Thanks to Andy for agreeing to support Help for Heroes through the forums pages and I hope anyone going has a fantastic day, (good luck in the raffle!)

• RMweb Gold

That last picture gave me a shock - I thought the first prize was one of the retiring 4CIGs then realised it was a Bachmann 4CEP!

No but you can bid for the two 4CIGs and the details are in the June Railway Magazine, unfortunately it's just the trains so the set doesn't include track or power supply laugh.gif

I wonder if 2050 will be seeing the last Desiro service on the branch with as much interest?

Is SWT sticking with electric traction on the branch after all, then? Rumour had it that a 158 was going to take over; seemed a bit of a waste with the 750v infrastructure already in place and ready for use.

David

Is SWT sticking with electric traction on the branch after all, then? Rumour had it that a 158 was going to take over; seemed a bit of a waste with the 750v infrastructure already in place and ready for use.

David

Hi David, as it stands at the moment a 158 unit will work the branch Monday to Friday. At weekends the service will use a 450 Desiro. The reason a 450 cant be used all through the week is that SWT don`t have any spare units, whilst there is an abundance of 158/159s. Also by using a Desiro at weekends it will keep the route knowledge up to date for the non diesel trained Drivers. Hope all this helps

The Lymington branch racks up another last to follow on from the last steam branch;

Last *standard gauge* steam branch. The VoR beat it hands down for last BR steam branch line.

Crying out as a line for a T gauge model and MU conversion though

A.Pedant 8)

• RMweb Premium

I always thought of the VoR as the main line between Aberystwyth and Pontarfynach :P

(That's Devil's Bridge for those who only speak English)

Hi Rhydgaled, I think its pot luck at the mo ,1497 was on it two days running this week but now its back to alternating...so you never know..should be 1498 green machine tomorrow, sounds like the headboard was out again today.

• RMweb Gold

The 158's that are replacing the 4-CIG's, are they coming from the existing units that SWT have or are some the ones that are on loan to EMT coming back?

Shame the units are going, haven't yet had a chance to travel on the Lymington line despite being local. If the Lymington River Association had got its way with the new ferries then the whole line would probably have been going too. But for the line now at least the future's bright, the future's orange, and red, and blue, and some warning yellow thrown in too :lol:

Went for a bash on the branch today before the end next Saturday. 1497 "Freshwater" was doing the honours along with the headboard which was on the Lymington end. Will be a shame to see them go as they're comfy things!

Just after arrival at Brockenhurst.

post-7258-127405168251_thumb.jpg

Journeys end at Lymington Pier.

post-7258-127405169406_thumb.jpg

Headboard.

post-7258-127405170671_thumb.jpg

Poster at Lymington Town.

post-7258-127405172106_thumb.jpg

Headboard above booking window at Lymington Town.

post-7258-12740517282_thumb.jpg

A peek in the cab!

post-7258-127405173714_thumb.jpg

Thanks must go to the driver for letting us have a look in the cab!

Andy.

Archived