Captain Cuttle's Work Bench

Hi,

I bought this last year, tiz not really a kit but set of etches, some castings and a vac formed roof.

The whitemetal castings are not that good so I will replace those and had to make up some boxes for the underframe as not all were with the kit. I decided that as the solebar was flush with the bodyside I would solder both together with reinforcement behind and build an independant inner chassis to hang the underframe trussing and bogies from.

Here are some photos with some progress to date, the B4 bogies I ditched and used Wayoh and the sprung buffers will be Midcar.

more progress laterpost-1123-126907758542_thumb.jpgpost-1123-126907758542_thumb.jpgpost-1123-12690776094_thumb.jpgpost-1123-126907757269_thumb.jpg

cheers

CC

post-1123-126907759713_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi all,

My workbench has been dormant for four years  omg !! Just to recap my period of modelling is mid late sixties early seventies home counties mainly SR some WR all diesel/electric.

My modelling hasnt stopped in that time but age has so memory not so good now anyway  lets get back to it . I will fill you in on other projects  including the slowly emerging garden railway later.

Starting with a Heljan cl 33, i bought a body a few years ago and a pile of spare parts from Howes and finally last year bought two complete ones with issues. Both will have the original exhaust layout and recessed fuel tanks and the first in green will be D6501, the other will be similar but with a full yellow end as D6560.

I have been following Hal Nails roof conversion and also done the mod to recess the  the centre bogie springs and made the bogie steps sit closer to the sideframes as they seem too vulnerable to me. I have done the cut out on the fuel tanks and am fitting ns handrails as the original are so fragile. There is a bit of cut and shut on the left hand side glazing so all windows are now in the  closed position.

ATB

Alan

sanding_roof.jpg

ccut out with silencer base.jpg

base fitted.jpg

silencer in.jpg

fuel tank A.jpg

Heljan fuel tank  C.jpg

sideframe C.jpg

sideframe E.jpg

D6501  C.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice! Have you narrowed the fuel tanks at all? Some people have but I think it involves paring back the die cast chassis.

Also is then little step on the silencer just two little triangles below the top ledge?

Edited by Hal Nail

No i havent narrowed the tanks it looks quite marginal to me. The plastic underframe just screws to the four posts as you can see on photo of chassis below so suppose you would just thin these back a bit?

The little step is just a piece of reshaped plastruct channel. If you look for the 4mm Heljan as built class 33s you will see it looks similar.

Just weathered the roof and ordered worksplates from Shawplan. Also decent wipers from Laurie at MM1 but he has no more, not worth his while to get more made he said which is a shame as i wanted two sets.

Regards

Alan

weathering roof.jpg

chassis  b.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2020 at 21:20, Captain Cuttle said:

No i havent narrowed the tanks it looks quite marginal to me. The plastic underframe just screws to the four posts as you can see on photo of chassis below so suppose you would just thin these back a bit?

The little step is just a piece of reshaped plastruct channel. If you look for the 4mm Heljan as built class 33s you will see it looks similar.

Just weathered the roof and ordered worksplates from Shawplan. Also decent wipers from Laurie at MM1 but he has no more, not worth his while to get more made he said which is a shame as i wanted two sets.

Regards

Alan

I completely missed this - thanks for the info! I've also done my roof darker in the meantime which I think suits them better than the original grey. I bought some JLTRT wipers which I will fit and also their hand rails as well since the Heljans are so fragile but will leave them until I really have to.

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I completely missed this - thanks for the info! I've also done my roof darker in the meantime which I think suits them better than the original grey. I bought some JLTRT wipers which I will fit and also their hand rails as well since the Heljans are so fragile but will leave them until I really have to.

No problem.

I set the bogie side steps in a bit as they seem fragile, i think the weight of the chassis aggravates it as you have to hold the body carefully.

Pix of it finished below. Also some of it on the garden section but only using dc with a Clipper controller to test the track connections and wiring.

D6501 A.jpg

D6501  B.jpg

D6501  C.jpg

D6501 on test  2.jpg

D6501 with parcel stock dc.jpg

D6501 with parcel train  3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Alan

You have been busy...... Class 33 and the railway both look good . The outside section of the railway , are you leaving it as a single line or do you have any intention of doubling it?

Jim

Jim,

Single track with island platform in garden section and another between the sheds is quite enough for me to cope with. The section under cover as it emerges is under 6ft curve so having to mofify some rolling stock and my RJH Cl 47 to accomodate this.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alan

The last GUV in the last picture, Is that a Westdale kit?, the only reason I ask I have a couple and there are no markings as to who's kit they are but they are exactly like yours.

Jim,

Yes its one of his resin one piece bodied ones with plasticard bogies and Peter Cowling sideframes.  Dick used to do an aluminium shell GUV with resin ends, not sure if he still does it. I find the Heljan GUV quite robust whereas the BG needed some beefing up behind the underframe steps, have added dynamo belts to all from phosphor bronze strip and fitted kadees.

Alan