Tivoli Road

Captain Cuttle

Been meaning for some time to put this on here but always seem too busy.

I started this layout sometime ago but health isnt so good now so things take longer to do! 

I have built up the trackwork in the shed and after getting a control panel sorted out and working as it should i eventually turned to the outdoor section between the two sheds which is now wired and working.

With the weather improving i got some help from Steve our plastic window installer and handyman and as you can see we are emerging into the garden.

Regards

Alan

Steve pondering  rs.jpg

Steve at work rs.jpg

Tee pieces fitted  rs.jpg

Two sheds  rs.jpg

• Like 4

So this is a late sixties early seventies layout based in the home counties with a WR/SR flavour.

Pictures of the low relief industrial factory with parcel depot underneath its 7ft long and made of mainly hardboard and wood batten shell with plasticard sheet and brick paper, ust started the bi folding doors.

parcel depot 13rs.jpg

parcel depot 11 rs.jpg

17 rs.jpg

• Like 15

17 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

So this is a late sixties early seventies layout based in the home counties with a WR/SR flavour.

Pictures of the low relief industrial factory with parcel depot underneath its 7ft long and made of mainly hardboard and wood batten shell with plasticard sheet and brick paper, ust started the bi folding doors.

parcel depot 13rs.jpg

parcel depot 11 rs.jpg

17 rs.jpg

Wow! What a stunning structure. It's so rare to see a building of this scale modelled in 0 gauge, so it is great to see. What a fantastic and imposing model...... so realistic too. If you don't mind me asking, what type of brickpaper have you used? 

Cheers,

David 

David,

The brickwork on the main structure is from Model Railway Scenery.Com its called Yellow London Brick ref TX021-O. The detail at and over the top are from Prototype Models brick paper range. The windows are  L Cut Creative square industrial type 2.

Images below show that plus mock up of the awning with valancing and guttering.

depot detail  13rs.jpg

depot detail  10rs.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

David,

The brickwork on the main structure is from Model Railway Scenery.Com its called Yellow London Brick ref TX021-O. The detail at and over the top are from Prototype Models brick paper range. The windows are  L Cut Creative square industrial type 2.

depot detail  13rs.jpg

depot detail  10rs.jpg

Thanks Mr Cuttle! 

That's really useful. I'm looking for some suitable brickpapers and the way you have used them looks superb, so I will check those sources out. Really impressive stuff, so effective!

Thank again for your help.

David 

15 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

David,

depot detail  13rs.jpg

depot detail  10rs.jpg

Alan,

I have always used laboriously painted embossed plasticard for brickwork. However, as I contemplate my next project I am increasingly attracted back to printed brick papers, which is where I started when I was about 10 years old. I think the loss of relief, especially on buildings to wards the rear of the layout, is not noticeable. This rather epic structure of yours gives encouragement.

Regards,

CK

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/06/2019 at 10:33, Captain Cuttle said:

Been meaning for some time to put this on here but always seem too busy.

I started this layout sometime ago but health isnt so good now so things take longer to do! 

I have built up the trackwork in the shed and after getting a control panel sorted out and working as it should i eventually turned to the outdoor section between the two sheds which is now wired and working.

With the weather improving i got some help from Steve our plastic window installer and handyman and as you can see we are emerging into the garden.

Regards

Alan

Steve pondering  rs.jpg

Steve at work rs.jpg

Tee pieces fitted  rs.jpg

Two sheds  rs.jpg

Bit more progress below hampered by sciatica!!

17 jun 19 050  rs.jpg

18n jun 19 008  RS.jpg

18n jun 19 012 RS.jpg

25 jun 19 002.jpg

5 july 2019 002  RS.jpg

5 july 2019 006  RS.jpg

5 july 2019 008  RS.jpg

5 july 2019 026  RS.jpg

25 july 19 004  RS.jpg

25 july 19 010 RS.jpg

• Like 7

All seemed to be ok when laying felt but made a faux pas as overlapped the ends but this created humps and so i had to get out the hot air gun and peel them back and make butt joints. Took a bit of time but all ok now.

Due to reduced radius behind the shed there is single track which is  a tad under 6ft and where the track straightens out will be a station with an island platform. I hope to lay and bond all the track up to the path which is approx half way round the layout.  The track emerges from the rear of the shed at just under 6ft high and where it crosses the path is down to about 18ins high.

25 july 19 044  RS.jpg

25 july 19 074  RS.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Alan

Outside section starting to take shape ..... Looks good

A few questions if I may :

• The top section of the board under the felt, is that marine ply
  •  what thickness are you using
  • and the black paint to protect the wood, is that bitumen

Regards

Jim

On 01/08/2019 at 20:54, jcarta said:

Alan

Outside section starting to take shape ..... Looks good

A few questions if I may :

• The top section of the board under the felt, is that marine ply
  •  what thickness are you using
  • and the black paint to protect the wood, is that bitumen

Regards

Jim

Jim,

The top sections and vertical side pieces are screwed and glued together first and are 12mm WBP outdoor ply. I got a good deal from Civil Solutions a local independant  building supplier.

The paint is called BlackJack from Toolstation and is bitumen roof felt adhesive, I used stainless steel screws throughout which i bought from Ebay.

Alan

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Finally got all the woodwork finished, felted and over the last month or so the track laid. The bus is in place under the baseboards with droppers connecting to it through choc blocks,  now working on the bridge section to go over the path.

Alan

OS  34.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 13:38, Captain Cuttle said:

Finally got all the woodwork finished, felted and over the last month or so the track laid. The bus is in place under the baseboards with droppers connecting to it through choc blocks,  now working on the bridge section to go over the path.

Alan

OS  34.jpg

Very Costa Del Garden especially with that palm tree growing by the railway... Hehehehe

It is starting to take shape and it looks good..... soon you're be sitting there on a deck chair watching the trains passing.

Jim 

14 hours ago, jcarta said:

Very Costa Del Garden especially with that palm tree growing by the railway... Hehehehe

It is starting to take shape and it looks good..... soon you're be sitting there on a deck chair watching the trains passing.

Jim 

Seemed to think of that deck chair moment a couple of years ago, getting nearer!

Like your selection of motive power Jim, are they all ready to run?

Alan

14 hours ago, 37114 said:

Looks great,  very nice setup.

Thanks, the second half nearest the camera was built by another fella so is different in construction and colour.

I ran a test train using my Heljan 33 D6501 and some parcel stock with a Clipper controller and croc clips over the outside section and all is ok. Then tried it using Dapol 08 D3019 with a oo decoder and thats okay but shows an overload on one end of large shed going other way so have to wait for the "sparks" to come over and sort it for me.

Alan

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Seemed to think of that deck chair moment a couple of years ago, getting nearer!

Like your selection of motive power Jim, are they all ready to run?

Alan

Alan

You just need to position the deckchair under the tree for shade purposes of course that way the beer stays chilled.... once the PW & S&T dept's has been through....

Yes most of my stock is Heljan but some are hand built from kits like 20, 25, 37, 56, 58, 2xDMU's, Crab & Mallard. Most of the rolling stock is kit form MKI coaches are from Easibuild & Pullmans by Westdale & the wagons are a mixture of Heljan, Dapol, Skytrex, Slaters etc.

Jim

Link to my workbench here                                                                                                                  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11951-captain-cuttles-work-bench/

On 10/05/2020 at 11:52, jcarta said:

Alan

You just need to position the deckchair under the tree for shade purposes of course that way the beer stays chilled.... once the PW & S&T dept's has been through....

Yes most of my stock is Heljan but some are hand built from kits like 20, 25, 37, 56, 58, 2xDMU's, Crab & Mallard. Most of the rolling stock is kit form MKI coaches are from Easibuild & Pullmans by Westdale & the wagons are a mixture of Heljan, Dapol, Skytrex, Slaters etc.

Jim

Jim,

I think except for the steam i have built most of what you have listed plus more but not for myself, I certainly remember the considerable number of Westdale Pullman cars with Peter Cowling seating, resin curtains, tables and undeframe parts plus the HMRS lining but they came out okay. I have added a couple of pix of those also.

Below photos of the 33 to which i have retrofitted the original exhaust panel, cut out on fuel tanks and recessed the bogie springs etc. Also some pulling part of my parcel stock on dc in garden testing connections and wiring.

Alan1462417362_D6501ontest.jpg.d888fecb9ffd579cb8ab5db8f54a5126.jpg

D6501 A.jpg

D6501  B.jpg

D6501 with parcel stock dc.jpg

sheila.jpg

Pull Obs Car 2.jpg

• Like 1

Jim,

I would say it took me as long to build one as it took to build a loco, these i all built about ten years ago when my eyesight was better and less arm shake!!

I would like to do one in the reverse livery as some were in use on The Golden Arrow for a short time in the late sixties but got enough other things to build including a Cavalier Gresley Buffet Car kit i want to paint into blue and grey as they lasted till 1976 i think.

Alan

Brake_car_no.65_detail.jpg

Phoenix.jpg

Joan 1st kit (1).jpg

Zena_finished.jpg

D1922  1rg.jpg

D602 on siding.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alan

Those Pullmans look stunning, a credit to your building skills. When you put the decals on is there an easy way that I could apply them e.g. cutting the main lines in half etc?

The 47 looks just as good, is that the DJH one that you were talking about?

Jim

12 hours ago, jcarta said:

Alan

Those Pullmans look stunning, a credit to your building skills. When you put the decals on is there an easy way that I could apply them e.g. cutting the main lines in half etc?

The 47 looks just as good, is that the DJH one that you were talking about?

Jim

Jim,

Are you using HMRS lining?  I have some spare lines you could practise with if you have issues and also some complete sheets. The lining is on one sheet and all the names, nos, crests etc on the other. Post 1960 they called it Simple Lining and this is what i used on the ones i built.

They are methfix which means you just add a little methylated spirit to the water and you cut round them and lift the tissue with the line attached, place on the model and gradually work your way along.

I put the end vertical pieces on first and then cut through each pair of lines using a straight edge and a scalpel, match it at one end and lay down carefully then work your way along to the other. Can be theraputic but sometimes not!!

Which Pullman car are you building as some were all steel whilst others were wooden bodied, a lot of differences to roof, underframe and bogies.

Class 47 a brass RJH kit, i had to cut a bit away from the brass chassis last week as the kadee was hitting  it on the tight radius curve but ok now. Plus done a bit more weathering to the underframe, no dcc in any of these yet. Also got two Heljan Cl.50s which i will retrobuilt back to as built with the rheostatic brake roof recess, sandboxes etc next winter.

I am looking for some transfers for a Dapol brake van, i have repainted it in Engineers Olive but not found any do you know where i could get some?

Alan

D1922 on station site.jpg