ECoSControl Radio

GoingUnderground

Keith,

You mention icons for the locos on the ECoS colour, do you know if these are editable to UK outline, user definable.

There is no capability to edit them or upload alternatives at the moment. ESU were asked about this some time ago for the old style silhouette style icons on the mono ECoS and replied that they were looking at how users could edit existing ones/add new ones. But as yet nothing.

The change to photo type icons with firmware 3.1.0 brings its own issues, as to look halfway decent the image needs to have much more detail and 3D style depth. German owners of the colour ECoS have already asked ESU for the facility to edit/add to the menu of new style loco pictures, even before it went on general sale ofer there.

The new ones look very good, but the selection is quite limited, less than we had in the last firmware release for the mono ECoS. Even if you are a continental modeller you will be disappointed, e.g 2 ICE but no TGV or Cisalpino, or Class 66, despite their use in continental Europe. I couldn't see any locos that were obviously N American in origin. And of course being in colour, there is the issue of getting the right Livery. There is one of the classic SBB Krok (CE 6/8 II?) but it is in green, (to match the Trix model?), not the brown of the Roco one.

So my 57xx pannier tanks in London Transport Service Stock maroon livery have to make to with the nearest german look-alike 0-6-0 that I could find in black & red. goodness knows twhat I can use for '38 Tube stock!!

However, I wouldn't let that put you off getting a colour ECoS, as the lack of choice just puts more pressure on ESU to do something about it....Eventually......

Hi Keith,

Thanks for such an informative answer. Really am torn between staying with Lenz or going fully ESU with the colour ECoS.

The Lenz 2010 releases has done nothing really to make me want to stay with the to be honest. Yes it is an excellent system but is becoming more and more fragmented.

The icon issue is not putting me off at all and your answer about the users asking ESU for updates makes me realise that ESU is listening to them and acting on these requests if they can.

Another month or so and I should know where I am being based next and will decide then. If it is China which is on the cards I think it will wait a year or two.

Thanks again for your detailed answer.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for such an informative answer. Really am torn between staying with Lenz or going fully ESU with the colour ECoS.....

Below show an example of the new loco pictograms, complete with the 08. Sorry it's slightly out of focus. But it gives you an idea of the problems of editing an existing image to create your own customised loco.

post-6983-12656662796714_thumb.jpg

As I hope you can see, some are 2D whilst others pseudo 3D.

I'm trying to find out from ESU whether it will be possible eventually to connect two ECoS via the EcoSLink port so that one is master, the other slave, and the track output of the slave can be used as a booster in the same way as ESU indicate that a Pro Box could be connected, see Page 9 of the 2010 catalogue under the section Expandability - Dynamis Pro Box. If this can be done then I'll hang on to my mono ECoS, otherwise I will probably sell it. A mono ECoS would be an economical way into ECoS, as the functionality will be identical when ESU release version 3.1.0 of the firmware for upload to mono machines.

Thanks for the image Keith. Looks good. Shame you cannot just drop your own image in there. I use the excellent images from

http://pc.pxtr.de/s11g/s47.htm#c2750 as an example in RR&Co for on screen display. Just GIFS which are nice and small in file size and dont slow the software down.

I'm still 50:50 but could easily convinced to atke the plunge and go for the colour ECoS

Thanks for the image Keith. Looks good. Shame you cannot just drop your own image in there. I use the excellent images from

http://pc.pxtr.de/s11g/s47.htm#c2750 as an example in RR&Co for on screen display. Just GIFS which are nice and small in file size and dont slow the software down.

I'm still 50:50 but could easily convinced to atke the plunge and go for the colour ECoS

I'm told that ESU do have plans to allow users to upload their own images, but apparently when this will happen and how has still to be decided.

I'd be happy if ESU established a bank of images online and you selected which ones you want, had them bundled up into whatever package you needed at their end and embedded into a new download of the Firmware - customsed Firmware if you like but customer specific. Now that would be cool. It would let ESU control the size of the images and ensure compatibility with the firmware, no bad files failing to load and screwing up the OS in the process. Now that would be cool. (Comes back down to earth.)

If you need a push, just remember that with Sterling at it's current level you can get a colour ECoS for under GBP500 at the moment. When the ESU 2010 price increase kicks in that's likely to rise to between GBP530 and GBP540 so I've heard, but it depends on the dealer as SWD are still showing List at GBP575. But you might find secondhand monos appearing at between the GBP300 to GBP350 mark, possibly cheaper if lots of upgraders put theirs on the market to finance the upgrade. Same functionality, just not in colour.

I have used this company a lot in the past and found them very good. You pay the money directley into their bank account and they send out the goodies. Made some good buys from them in the past for the ESU Mobile Control which is usable with my Lenz system and bulk buy Lenz Gold decoders which worked out at GBP 17 a go. :)

http://www.heller-modellbahn.de/esu.htm

They show the ECoS colour at Euro 534 but not sure it is in stock yet. Will e mail them soon to check.

Just a note to those who are in the market for new ECoS colour, i have had one on pre-order with DCC Supplies and i have been informed by Fiona at DCC Supplies that it should be dispatched to me on Friday for an introductory price of ??490 so i am well chuffed. Look forward to using it and following the advice given on this worthwhile forum.

Regards

Just a note to those who are in the market for new ECoS colour, i have had one on pre-order with DCC Supplies and i have been informed by Fiona at DCC Supplies that it should be dispatched to me on Friday for an introductory price of ??490 so i am well chuffed. Look forward to using it and following the advice given on this worthwhile forum.

Regards

Yes, I had heard stories that the UK dealers were having to respond to the prices in Europe when people started cancelling orders in favour of buying from Germany. GBP 490 is just about the going rate including P&P, that several of us have paid to buy them from german dealers. Wonder how the UK dealers decided that was the right price when list at the end of last year, (before ESU put up the price in January), was around the GBP535 level if I remember correctly? Wonderful thing competition, and the fall in the Euro since Christmas.

Anyone buying a colour ECoS from current stocks will find that the enclosed manual will be in german only. ESU have said tonight on their users forum that the english version won't be published until mid-March. Until then, if you really need a manual in english, download the english version of the 2nd edition of the manual from here: http://www.esu.eu/en...igital-systems/ One or two of the screens have changed a bit but the underlying functionality is the same. Use the rechargeable batteries that will come with the ECoS, Do not use alkaline ones instead as this could have dire consequences as the internal recharging circuit isn't set up to use them. That is different from the mono ECoS.

If you need help understanding how to set up the track plan diagram panels, you will need to register as an ECoS user on the ESU forum, here: http://www.esu.eu/en...orums-overview/ and then go to the Downloads - Firmware and Software Section - ECoS ESU Command Station Firmware. There you can download the english version of the relase notes to Firmware 3.0.0 which includes a short note on the track plan. You cannot see the ECoS ESU Command Station Firmware section unless you have registered first. Because the ESU web site includes both german and english pages, click on the Union Jack to get everything in english.

There have been a few isolated reports in Germany of people experiencing the problem of the touchscreen not responding when they unpack them and turn the on for the first time. Mine worked perfectly out of the box last Friday. If you're one of the unlucky ones, ESU have issued a bulletin telling you how to fix it, see: http://www.esu.eu/fi...calibration.pdf I don't think I've seen anyone reporting the problem coming back later.

Enjoy, it's well worth the money in my opinion.

• RMweb Gold

But the old s*d's law has come into play, having ordered mine from Germany earlier this week it should have been with me today but due to adverse weather conditions this am it won't be with me till Monday! So not only would the price been the similar in the UK it now looks like I won't get it any quicker than if I stayed with DCC Supplies (if Andy or Fiona are reading please don't laugh!!!) And to top it all the Euro has gone done even further so the price is now about ??7 cheaper! :angry:

Well I suppose looking on the bright side I won't be distracted from getting Rederring ready for Workington next weekend! :lol:

But the old s*d's law has come into play, having ordered mine from Germany earlier this week it should have been with me today but due to adverse weather conditions this am it won't be with me till Monday! So not only would the price been the similar in the UK it now looks like I won't get it any quicker than if I stayed with DCC Supplies (if Andy or Fiona are reading please don't laugh!!!) And to top it all the Euro has gone done even further so the price is now about ??7 cheaper! angry.gif

Well I suppose looking on the bright side I won't be distracted from getting Rederring ready for Workington next weekend! laugh.gif

Peter,

Sorry to hear it has been delayed. Console yourself with the fact that if everyone had gone ahead and confirmed their orders at the old UK price then I doubt that the price would have come down in the UK.

When it finally arrives, remember to use the new rechargeable batteries that come with it and not the alkaline ones from your mono ECoS. The colour ECoS contains a recharging circuit to keep the rechargeables fully topped up which is why you must fit the supplied rechargeables not alkalines.

I was hoping to be able to join you and Two Tone Green et al in Manchester for the RR&Co get together, but months ago my wife booked tickets for an all day lecture on plants (boring!) in NW London on the 27th, and I can't get out of going. Worse still, I can't get to Ally Pally either to compensate.angry.gif

I was hoping to be able to join you and Two Tone Green et al in Manchester for the RR&Co get together, but months ago my wife booked tickets for an all day lecture on plants (boring!) in NW London on the 27th, and I can't get out of going. Worse still, I can't get to Ally Pally either to compensate.angry.gif

Life can be a bummer, i announced my attendance at TTG's outing to the family today and was called a saddo by my daughter and the reaction of my wife of 26 years was "ah bless" so in my my books happy days!

• RMweb Gold

It's arrived and works first time! My initial reaction Bl**dy Brilliant! The screen is far superior to the mono version and the software and general design is so much better.

I will testing it later!

It will be in use this weekend at Workington so if anyone wants to have a go come and visit me on Rederring.

Regards,

Peter

It's arrived and works first time! My initial reaction Bl**dy Brilliant! The screen is far superior to the mono version and the software and general design is so much better.

I will testing it later!

It will be in use this weekend at Workington so if anyone wants to have a go come and visit me on Rederring.

Regards,

Peter

Glad it arrived safely for you.

Yes, it is rather good isn't it.

I don't know if you've decided what to do with your mono ECoS, but at the moment you can only connect an ECoS 1 to an ECoS 2 via the siffer port, at least according to recent posts on the ESU users forum. SWD say you can connect via ECoSLink, but I've-mailed them asking for clarification.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith,

I am not sure what to do with the mono one yet, I may use it in the loft for the time being but may hold on to it for a new club layout we are building.

I took the colour ECoS around to show a die hard Lenz user and he was impressed and I think tempted to jump ship!

Peter

• 2 months later...

Any other system using the TouchCab will need extra hardware. There has to be a hardware interconnect between the command system bus (Xpressnet/Lenz or LocoNet/Digitrax, etc.) with sufficient processing power to convert IP packets from the iTouch to the relevant types for the command station.

Like this one?

http://www.digital-p...italplus_pc.php

Lenz is demoing a prototype at the Intermodellbau fair in Dortmund these days - using TouchCab wink.gif

Best regards

Jens

Archived