Clifford Road TMD (7mm/O Gauge)

Clifford Road

Hi Rich,

I do like the weathered trackwork, are you going to weather the ballast at all?

The last time I did brickwork I painted the bricks with a mix of red and orange in Enamel then with a Acrylic I washed in the grey for the mortar and wiped it off with a cloth.

Cheers Peter.

Afternoon all,

Well I hope everyone had a good Christmas and that special freight managed to drop the odd-thing of that people were hoping might arrive!

Matt, Peter, 66C - thanks for the suggestions and info on the brickwork. Kristian, glad to see your progressing with your thread.

Managed to finish spraying the trackwork on Boxing Day afternoon, which now means all the points and plain track has been dealt with. The 20s have returned from Springburn works now suitably numbered ... so 20095 and 20107 are currently sat on shed, having been dragged back by 37043. Driver training should get underway again on Wednesday with some possible trips expected on Friday. I'll post some pictures shortly.

Rich

Afternoon all,

Photo update really on the work that's taken place over Christmas.

As I commented in my previous post, the track work has now all been sprayed. I'd previously done the straight forward meter length/straight sections, all that remained was the four points. These have now been done and the European Mountain of discarded sellotape made even bigger! I followed the same principals as before, spray the whole thing with Sleeper Grim, allow the dry, then mask the sleepers off with sellotape (i find it sticks better than masking tape) taking care NOT to cover the check rails etc.. then spray with Rust Red. Leave to dry overnight and remove all the sellotape (that took over an hour!!!). The final stage was to mask off the check rails using even more sellotape .... and then give the whole point a gentle misting of sleeper grim to dull the red rust off a bit and once dry, remove the masking on the check rails .... sorted! There's no doubt many other ways of working, some may be better, but im happy with the results!

post-9617-0-73939200-1293554989_thumb.jpg

Next task was then to cut the remaining cork matting away. I tried originally using a stanley knife, but that seemed to be struggling to swapped to a very sharp craft knife and that went through the cork like a hot knife through butter! My advice on cutting cork mats is blindingly obvious .... use a sharp blade!!

Anyway with the cork cut away, it was on to the final ballasting .... oh, make sure all the moving blades on the pointwork are free to move before starting ballasting - saves a lot of hassle as I discovered on the first point!!! This ballasting (and around 50-60% of the remainder of the layout was done using a 70/30 mix of Carrs Light Grey and Carrs Dark Grey ballast - personally I think the result is better and more uneven than previously. PCM - you asked about weathering the ballast - yes its something i've thought about to remove that even coloured look to it. Comments and suggestions on how to do it are welcomed!

post-9617-0-86718600-1293554986_thumb.jpg

Note to self : Need to get rid of that gap in the rails which seems to have materialised overnight!

post-9617-0-23948000-1293554983_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-82748100-1293554978_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-52040000-1293554974_thumb.jpg

So having done all of that, i'm now in the process of using the age old PVA & Water process to lock everything place ... work is ongoing on that one.

Building while, i've continued to add the brickwork to the servicing shed ... and the fueling point is starting to get it metal work cladding on ... its sat on the workbench drying as I type this!

So with the 20s back on shed and the 37 there as well, a few pictures are attached. Its starting to look more like reality than model which is good! Just how i wanted it to be!

post-9617-0-49529500-1293554970_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-56073400-1293554967_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-90930700-1293554964_thumb.jpg

Comments (as always!) are welcomed!

All the best

Rich

Hi Simon,

Hmm, thats a thought - thought i suspect a different shade would work better so that the ballast doesn't merge with the sleepers ... the biggest problem with Railmatch sprays is controlling the amount that comes out! Even with the lightest of touch its too heavy really .... maybe some thing that i need to borrow or invest in an airgun for!

Rich

If you held the can further away than the recommended distance, it would have the effect of a finer spray - the colour of the ballast will show through, affecting the final outcome.

Might be worth making a little test piece with a short length of spare track if you have any?

Hi rich, what we did on apethorn junction, and a couple 4mm layouts was just use rail match sleeper grime in the can, just spray it on but quickly moving down the line so your not in one place for too long, it's allways worked ok for me in both 7mm and 4mm let us know how you get on

Chris w

Rob/Chris,

Thanks for both the suggestions. I'll give em a try and let you know how I get on!

Today's progress - the fueling shed has been totally clad in steel work sheeting, i've got a bit to learn with this - mainly getting corners right and also where the roof meets the side body! However, while I think the fueling shed may get rebuilt in the future, it will suffice for now, once some downpipes and the like are added to cover the cock-ups! Also learnt a bit more about spraying today .... hold it too close and it doesn't give an even spray! Tomorrow I think it will get another coat outside with the spray held much further away! Although the interim looks quite reasonable.

The point rodding and oversized cranks under the shed will get covered with a walkway I think.

Rich

post-9617-0-67514100-1293651462_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-33058900-1293651465_thumb.jpg

Hi Rich,

You are really cracking on with this, it's looking great, I would love to get my hands on those 20s and give them a coat of grime.:D 107 looks great with its ploughs. I noticed the 7mm class 33 is out so I don't think the class 26 will be far away.

Cheers Peter.

You are really cracking on with this, it's looking great, I would love to get my hands on those 20s and give them a coat of grime.:D 107 looks great with its ploughs. I noticed the 7mm class 33 is out so I don't think the class 26 will be far away.

Hi Peter,

To be honest I'm amazed with how quickly im getting on with things, although things will slow a bit now as that thing called work starts to kick in again next week!!! :) I've been gluing ballast with PVA/Water today and all seems to be going well - its also coloured the ballast a dark colour, which looks far better than the light grey it was! I'm hoping that it stays that way as it looks superb!

Regards the 20s, yes they are going to a friend of mine in January for weathering (i don't feel competent enough to try on £400+ worth of locomotive!) I'm trying to work out what to go for in terms of weathering. Does anyone have any shots of Scottish 20s or of 095/107 working? I've got one of 107 but its pretty clean ... typical! If anyone has feel free to post on here, or PM me separately. I'm thinking 095 may get a heavy dirt around the bogies and battery box, getting lighter on the solebar and just a dirty roof beyond that. Not too sure!

Still got to tackle fitting DCC chips to them yet! Should hopefully get a LS XL 20 decoder by the end of the January - and i'm thinking of putting a Lokpilot XL into the other one on cost grounds as a temporary measure. Just not sure whether to go SWD the same as the 37, or to go Howes? Anyone experienced both? Give the slow speeds and short runs of a TMD layout, something thats highly controllable (in terms of sound) is the best! I've got the hang of the SWD 37 chip really well now!

Rich

Rich

Wow this is turning out superb!

Keep up the good work! :)

I have started to weather Errol Lonsdale!It looks pretty good.

I like the 20s creeping in on the layout!

I still got 3 16tons to transfer, another progress report soon!

Another wagon to build,

I really like the ballast on your layout

Kristian

Hi Rich,

Have a look here for 20095:

http://www.martinbra...hamd-090979.jpg

It seems fairly dirty so should meet your requirements. Here's one of 20107:

http://www.railphotoarchive.org/search_engine_2.php?_format=4&img=0696020705000&_PAGE=1

..and few more Scottish choppers here:

http://www.kirwindes...field_locos.htm

HTH

Cheers

Lee

Wow this is turning out superb!

Keep up the good work! :)

I have started to weather Errol Lonsdale!It looks pretty good.

I like the 20s creeping in on the layout!

I still got 3 16tons to transfer, another progress report soon!

Another wagon to build,

I really like the ballast on your layout

Kristian

Hi Kristian,

Thanks - I'm really pleased ... never got a layout this far before!!! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the weathered J94.

The ballast seems to have been discoloured by the PVA/Water solution, but the effect is (in my view) quite good! Its darkened it down and now has an uneven colour to it. Oh BTW : Note to all if you didn't already know, brushed paint causes foamboard/model board to warp!! I discovered tonight when i tried to paint one of my A3 boards blue for a temporary backdrop! Apparently spray cans are ok!? Something to do with moisture content im told.

Rich

It seems fairly dirty so should meet your requirements. Here's one of 20107:

http://www.railphoto...0705000&_PAGE=1

Hi Lee,

Thanks for that - I haven't had the time to go through the web yet, so you've saved me a job! The shot of 095 looks about right ... the link for 20107 gave an error though - although there are several shots on the rail photo archive, including one of 095 and 107 together at Sheffield!! How's that for pure fluke!!

The pictures on that site at Eastfield are enough to make anyone want to give up with the modern day scene! Oh the variety, the classes, the traction! :) Yay! I can see me spending hours going through all those! :)

Thanks for that.

Happy New Year to all btw! :)

Rich

Evening (well morning!) all,

Work has progressed on track cleaning the past 24 hours, with most track now being shiny once again, and working well. The Class 08 has performed rail head testing and its sound chip only stopped a couple of times (since rectified!) so i'm guessing the rail is now clean!

Having got the brick cladding onto the Servicing Shed a few weeks ago, and finally having purchased some paint (from B&Q of all places!) for the brickwork, i set about painting the brickwork on one end this afternoon, just to see how it went and what happened. I have to say i'm delighted (yes, again!) with the results. It looks very realistic and is starting to transform the building. What do you think?

post-9617-0-95601500-1294015897_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-01155200-1294015907_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-50758700-1294015916_thumb.jpg

Still have the sides to paint, and the upper sections of the shell to clad with steel sheeting, which will be done over the next few days. PS You'll notice the concrete pad has gone again! My efforts at painting it didn't quiet work out! While it looked good, the model board being banana shaped, rather spoilt the effect! Its either some very hefty double sided tape or resorting to spray can paints! Pete H - did you have the same problem on Willaston Road?

A couple of people have sent me a PM asking if i'm going to do a short video on the iPhone showing locos moving around etc... and in essence, showing off the layout. My thought is probably not with the iPhone, as I don't think its good enough to give a good quality in doors with fluorescent light. However, once the buildings have been done and the whole depot looks more realistic, i'll happily get the old video camera out and put together a short 3-5 minute film of the layout - IF people want it! Let me know your thoughts, either on here or as a PM. Maybe its not good enough for a video to work? Is there anything you'd want (or not want!) to see if I do, do it?

Rich

Hi Rich

Brickwork looks the biz what colours did you use and was it just b an q home brand stuff?

As for a video I vote yes. I think it gives a good idea of the workings/feel of a layout even if it is a long way off finished. It might even give you a fresh perspective when you view it on screen.

Excellent work by the way.

Guy

Brickwork looks the biz what colours did you use and was it just b an q home brand stuff?

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the comments. The paint is from the small tester pots and is actually Crown Matchpot Paint - the brickwork is fireside red (which looks way to red when first painted), but it tones down when the cement between the bricks is added, which is Crown Matchpot Neutrals Brushed Clay.

Hoping to do some more at it today!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

The use of tester pots from the DIY sheds can produce some good results - I do like your brickwork - by selecting the right colours in the first place (generally ignoring the names, much as you would do with the Citadel / Warhammer paints). These are cheap, but effective and being acrylics are easy to use, clean brushes and dries quickly. All together good for scenery / buildings.

Evening guys,

Just a quick update. Got the concrete pad back in this evening thanks to some super-duper extra sticky double-sided tape! Looks far better. Also started work on the concrete pad for the opposite side of the siding as you can see in the pictures. The side of the servicing shed has been painted in red, although i've got the cement work still to do. Also the steel cladding on the front has been added tonight after being sprayed. Next job is to look at trying the concrete area between the tracks - i'm going to try with 3mm model board, but i have a funny feeling that I may end up looking for some 2mm stuff!

Enjoy

Rich

post-9617-0-61516300-1294139424_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-75332100-1294139427_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-73004100-1294139430_thumb.jpg

If you want a source of cheap modelling sheets - go to a large sign shop that produces real estate signs (the outdoor kind) printed on solid styrene (also known as rigid PVC foamboard). I get mine for nix and it is completely bullet proof - cuts with a sharp knife, weatherproof, doesn't warp (but needs lots of glue and angles to stop it flopping about). Do not get corflute (with the rigid struts between the two outer surfaces) as it dimples between the rigid struts and you can see this unless you want to cover it with brick sheets or thick papers. The solid styrene glues with CA but you can also use construction strength white PVA with suitable dry times. BTW the scrap sheets (remember that word - scrap) are 1230mm x 630mm each!!!! I was given 17 (seventeen) sheets for nothing!!!!

Guest Digital

A couple of people have sent me a PM asking if i'm going to do a short video on the iPhone showing locos moving around etc... and in essence, showing off the layout. My thought is probably not with the iPhone, as I don't think its good enough to give a good quality in doors with fluorescent light. However, once the buildings have been done and the whole depot looks more realistic, i'll happily get the old video camera out and put together a short 3-5 minute film of the layout - IF people want it! Let me know your thoughts, either on here or as a PM. Maybe its not good enough for a video to work? Is there anything you'd want (or not want!) to see if I do, do it?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Happy New Year to you.

Your buildings are progressing well, the brickwork looks excellent.

The IPHONE although not perfect for video can produce some good videos with good light.

Both of the 37's on these videos were done with an IPHONE Class 37's on Willaston Road using IPHONE as you can see one of the problems is lack of autofocus tracking.

Regards

John

Guest Digital

Evening guys,

Just a quick update. Got the concrete pad back in this evening thanks to some super-duper extra sticky double-sided tape! Looks far better. Also started work on the concrete pad for the opposite side of the siding as you can see in the pictures. The side of the servicing shed has been painted in red, although i've got the cement work still to do. Also the steel cladding on the front has been added tonight after being sprayed. Next job is to look at trying the concrete area between the tracks - i'm going to try with 3mm model board, but i have a funny feeling that I may end up looking for some 2mm stuff!

Hi Rich,

As an alternative you could use polyfilla.

I did this crossing with polyfilla which Pete then painted.

The passing of heavy Heljan and DJH locos has worn it away quite nicely.

Regards

John

Archived