Clifford Road TMD (7mm/O Gauge)

Clifford Road

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the comments - yup, your definitely not alone!  To be honest, I've got to the point where (for me) trains going round and round don't do anything for me, but thats my personal opinion.  So I settled on the depot idea as it allowed me to concentrate on a small area and try and get the detail into it.  I've an updated to put on here, having done a bit to the layout tonight, but I'll get the SLR camera out tomorrow and do some proper pictures, rather than the ones I have been posting off the iPhone!

The Heljan 37 is really nice .. mine looks distinctly odd at the moment as its no buffers and no fuel tank on!  Think it must have been Eastfield's Christmas Tree!!  I'm in the middle of fitting a SWD Loksound chip and speak to it, which will hopefully get completed this week and it will look decent again!  Always think Large Logo was the best livery for the 37s and 47s!  

Thanks again, are your two layouts featured on RMweb??

Rich

Hi Rich, yes St Budoc, Glen Roy and Deesdale Road are in the Layouts section and my old layout Kingsmill is in the galleries section, Hope you find them and enjoy, Thanks, Andy   

Evening all,

Well I commented on a post yesterday that I must update the forum with progress, but didn't get round to doing it today! Unfortunately, there is unlikely to be much progress made now before the early part of next week, as work calls for the next four or five days!

However, the progress so far is good, and I'm really pleased with how its coming on. For the first time when doing a layout, I actually feel as though I'm doing something that I have a chance of achieving a good end result! Much of that is thanks to the suggestions and help of this forum. A query about how the best way to produce a Concrete Pad effect on the 7mm modelling forum on RMweb, gave the suggestion from Pete Harvey of using 3mm foamboard or model board. Well Citilink finally delivered the package this afternoon (anyone whose after model board and is ok with buying 20 or 30 sheets at time, look at the link that Pete suggests in the aforementioned topic - they were very helpful and very quick!) so I've set to work!.

In a nutshell (to save people wading through the Concrete Pad topic just to find out what was said), Pete suggested using a sheet of 3mm model board to bring the level up from baseboard to sleeper height, then another layer on top to overlap the sleepers and bring the base up to rail height (well its a 1mm below, but whose counting! It also allows cleaning of the track without catching the model board). Once its down to your satisfaction it can then be painted. This was the idea I thought i'd follow, and having got the first layer down, I have to say its starting to look right, and has actually transformed the look from that end. A shed building will cover the left hand road next to the pad to create a maintenance building. The right hand road being open-air stabling roads.

post-9617-023682600 1291854320_thumb.jpg

post-9617-006317900 1291854336_thumb.jpg

Elsewhere, I've progressed with the option of how to lock the points into position. A combination of brass rod and home-made plastic cranks has solved the problem, albeit temporarily. The cranks are well over-scale to remain in view, although I have got two points working from Tortoise motors to actually change the points! Ingenuity and advice plus help from my father has solved that one - at least until I can find either a better way or a way of moving the gubbins underneath. The problem is that I've hardly got room beneath to get my hand under the board, never mind a screw driver or point motor! However, it will do for now and the motors will be covered by a building.

post-9617-075321800 1291854454_thumb.jpg

post-9617-098533900 1291854491_thumb.jpg

The other news is that following the Citilink delivery, Royal Mail also turned up ... laugh - honestly I could have put the flags out!!! First mail delivery in 6 days thanks to the weather! Still, I felt sorry for the poor lass having to drive around in the snow. Anyway, the result of the second delivery is that Clifford Road's allocation has increased by two ... with the arrival of a pair of Heljan Class 20s. Wow, superb models that look perfect - well they will once numbered and weathered.

post-9617-018718200 1291854378_thumb.jpg

post-9617-000744000 1291855392_thumb.jpg

So you'll be seeing more of them over the fullness of time. These two appear to be here for crew training however, as they've been parked up in No. 3 siding all afternoon since arrival. Rumour around the depot is they may see some work on Tuesday, so for the photographers amongst you, i'll let you know!! ;)

Looking them over, they do look to be really nice models. I've been thinking about once since I decided to go O gauge, but decided to save up until I could afford two ... one just doesn't look right on its own! Haven't opened them up yet, but the paper instruction sheet has a photo of the new circuit board inside and at first glance it looks like the Loksound XL would be a straight swap over for it? Anyone tried this or have any thoughts or comments?

Hi Rich, yes St Budoc, Glen Roy and Deesdale Road are in the Layouts section and my old layout Kingsmill is in the galleries section, Hope you find them and enjoy, Thanks, Andy

Wow - All three look really good Andrew. If I can get Clifford Road anywhere near those, I'll be well happy! Well done.

Rich

... First mail delivery in 6 days thanks to the weather! Still, I felt sorry for the poor lass having to drive around in the snow. Anyway, the result of the second delivery is ... the arrival of a pair of Heljan Class 20s. ...

No need to feel sorry for the Parcels girl... the weight of those Heljan 20s probably helped the van get some grip on the road... :rolleyes: :D ;)

You're getting quite a loco collection there! Very nice!!

Re your point problem, might it be one of the PCB sleepers hasn't quite had a perfect gap made in it - only being painted, you can't tell? Or possibly the loco wheels are shorting across a wing rail or something...? It might be worth contacting Marcway for advice?

No need to feel sorry for the Parcels girl... the weight of those Heljan 20s probably helped the van get some grip on the road... :rolleyes: :D ;)

You're getting quite a loco collection there! Very nice!!

Re your point problem, might it be one of the PCB sleepers hasn't quite had a perfect gap made in it - only being painted, you can't tell? Or possibly the loco wheels are shorting across a wing rail or something...? It might be worth contacting Marcway for advice?

Thanks! Yes, must admit i'm very pleased with the Class 20s - they look superb! It could be one of the PCB sleepers, but I can't work out why it worked to start with! Will give Marcway a call though and see if they've any idea's.

Rich

Those class 20's look very at home! Love the Concrete pad, it looks brill!

The loco's now outnumber the wagons!

Cheers

Kristian

Hi Kristian!

Your not far wrong! Did gain a couple of Skytrex box wagons the other day as a birthday present from a good friend, so I think they will become depot stores vehicles! I made a cracking start on the depot building yesterday too - really pleased with that - i'll try and post a pic or two later tonight ;)

Rich

Ive never had a skytrex wagon, I prefer building Parkside Dundas and Slaters, i think they give a better finish, but thats just my opinion

Good i look forward to seeing the pictures! Keeep slogging at it, were all waiting for the good finished product you will bring,

I really ought to make a layout topic on here need some inspiration!

Kristian

Ive never had a skytrex wagon, I prefer building Parkside Dundas and Slaters, i think they give a better finish, but thats just my opinion

Good i look forward to seeing the pictures! Keeep slogging at it, were all waiting for the good finished product you will bring,

I really ought to make a layout topic on here need some inspiration!

Kristian

Hi Kristian,

To be honest, that was my intention. I know i've not got the skill for brass kit building - can't solder to save my life! But plastic I thought I'd try ... then a friend of mine presented me with these for my birthday earlier in the week so that's rather sorted that one! They look nice to be honest (better than the locos in *my* personal opinion) although they will be better once weathered!

Everything is slowly dropping into place with the layout and I can see that it will work and be really interesting and fun to operate, which is all that matters at the end of the day. A lot of my 'get-up-and-go' for pushing on with it is, to be honest, fuelled by RMweb. Its really nice to be able to share a home layout with other people, get their reaction and thoughts - which may mean you go back and do something again a better way! Would certainly recommend adding your layout to the forum, the inspiration and energy it gives is worth it alone!

Rich

TODAY'S UPDATE!

Well I promised some pics of the new depot building, which does (to me at least) look good ... it will even better when the roof is on and its clad in bricks (lower half) and metal sheeting (top half & roof). I'm also planning to fit it with lights both internally and externally. Although the prototype from which the basis has been gleened doesn't have a brick structure, its based on the shed that was erected at Muir Of Ord when locos and rolling stock had to be maintained north of Inverness after the collapse of the Ness Bridge.

post-9617-035349200 1291940433_thumb.jpg

post-9617-098883800 1291940563_thumb.jpg

I've got the roof to add yet, and am going to paint the entire thing grey I think before adding the Plasticard cladding. I'm not too sure how to detail the interior though. Does anybody have any depot interior pics from the 1980s? or any suggestions for interior detailing - either general suggestions (keep them polite!!!), home made detailing bits or RTR/kit detailing?

The concrete pad isn't complete yet - it needs adding between the rails and also on the opposite side of the shed, as well as the second layer adding to bring it up to rail height, but this is how the shed looks when its in position.

post-9617-059405200 1291940585_thumb.jpg

It is also had its first visit from 37043, which undertook clearance and structure testing.

post-9617-083521000 1291940606_thumb.jpg

The addition of the building has actually started to give the layout a depot feel ... despite having not even scratched the surface of the scenery yet! The paint arrived from Howes today to allow the track to be suitably weathered as well, so thats another task for the Christmas period. Currently trying to find somewhere that sells large bags of Woodland Scenic ballast ... harder than one might think! Anybody any other idea's on what ballast to use??

Operational Update

Extract from the depot log, which I though would work with some of the pictures taken today.

"Class 20s Nos. 20107 and 20122 remained on No. 3 Siding all day. Four crew members are undergoing traction training. Class 08 No. 08227 remains the depot pilot. Two BDV bogie bolsters arrived with 37043 from Mossend Yard this afternoon with intermittent brake faults - admitted to the servicing shed for attention. Shortly before the end of shift, the two Class 20s were split to allow the depot fitters to undertake overnight 'A' Exam training. No. 20122 is now stabled on No. 2 siding, while 20107 is presently stabled and chocked on No. 1 road outside the depot building."

post-9617-088147900 1291940679_thumb.jpg

post-9617-015809200 1291940722_thumb.jpg

post-9617-075206000 1291940747_thumb.jpg

post-9617-029227900 1291940794_thumb.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the update - answers to any of the questions welcomed, any queries or comments readers may have ... also welcomed! ;)

Have a good weekend all.

Rich

Hi Rich,

The new layout is looking great, I have been a fan of 7mm stuff for ages but I have never really had the money to do much, I did manage to build a wagon last year and I started on a brake van which is sat under the layout unfinished. Once I have my oo stuff sorted I will do a bit more in 7mm. The Heljan locos are great the 37s with a bit of work look superb your large logo machine is a beast, as are your 20s.I bet you can't wait for the class 26 to come out.

Cheers Peter..

The plastic Kits in my opinion are very good to build aslong as you dont rush them, the detail on them and instructions if you go for parkside are very easy, I agree to on Skytrex locos, apart from the tram/sentinel. I think the mainline Diesels arent anywhere near Heljan's standard

That bulding you have constructed is brilliant, With the 37 parked outside you can really get a feel for what it will look like, I can see that this layout is going to turn out well, I have added my Layout to the thread! I will update later with some pictures of my wagon's/loco's

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

Very inspiring - I love the way the thread evolves from 4mm to 7mm. I know what you mean about 7mm and not needing much to have a small layout with a few locos. Despite doing 2mm for a number of years I have just recently taken an interest in the senior scale and am wondering whether to sell all my 4mm rolling stock my sons rolling stock ;) to finance the small 7mm layout I have started.

Look forward to see more progress - the BR Blue is particularly compelling especially the LL 37.

Best, Pete

Evening Morning! all ...

The new layout is looking great, I have been a fan of 7mm stuff for ages but I have never really had the money to do much, I did manage to build a wagon last year and I started on a brake van which is sat under the layout unfinished. Once I have my oo stuff sorted I will do a bit more in 7mm. The Heljan locos are great the 37s with a bit of work look superb your large logo machine is a beast, as are your 20s.I bet you can't wait for the class 26 to come out.

Thanks Pete. I'm the same about 7mm to be honest. I bought the '37' as an indulgent treat to be honest ... regretted it later when I got the bank statement!! but really pleased I did it! It gave me that push to think there is that amount of money sat there I need to do something! To be honest, I've got further in the past month than I ever have before! Yup - the Heljan 26 is on my list to add to the fleet ... as is a 37/4 (in large logo of course!) and a ScotRail liveried 47! Oh the dreams! Still, a few years ago I dreamed of owning an O gauge loco and now have five of them! Im fair happier with the realism in O gauge than I ever have been with OO gauge on my own layouts ... your OO however is fantastic - really looks the part!

the layout is starting to take shape the building is looking good Scalescenes produce some good brick paper and other items in 7mm that you will find useful to finish the building and hard standing.

Thanks Pete, nice to have you on the thread ... thanks for all your help and suggestions - the depot building is all down to your advice! I'm going to try the Scalescenes roof paper for the office block roof, but think i'll go with plastikard for the brickwork etc. I've just cut the foamboard for the depot offices as well - what do you recommend for window frames and doors? Any thoughts?

That building you have constructed is brilliant, With the 37 parked outside you can really get a feel for what it will look like, I can see that this layout is going to turn out well, I have added my Layout to the thread! I will update later with some pictures of my wagon's/loco's

Hiya Kris - thanks for the comment. Just seen the locos on your thread, a good start there! I hope my modelling skills live up to your optimism! Considering I've NEVER scratch-built anything before, I'm 100% delighted with the depot building, even at this stage! It stood up and was level!!! lol ;) Next step is to clad it, i'm thinking 50/50 of brickwork at the bottom ... steel sheeting at the top?

Very inspiring - I love the way the thread evolves from 4mm to 7mm. I know what you mean about 7mm and not needing much to have a small layout with a few locos. Despite doing 2mm for a number of years I have just recently taken an interest in the senior scale and am wondering whether to sell all my 4mm rolling stock my sons rolling stock ;) to finance the small 7mm layout I have started.

Look forward to see more progress - the BR Blue is particularly compelling especially the LL 37.

Welcome Pete, thanks for the comments. So glad I jumped from 4mm to 7mm, definitely wouldn't go back! What I would say is, to me, its worth the jump, and my thoughts on the American KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principal have certainly been born out now i've started working on it.

Thanks all.

Hoping for some major progress over Christmas ... he says fingers crossed!

The wiring harness for the sound chip (yup, I forgot that bit!) for the '37' is due tomorrow, so early next week, the 37 may finally get its fuel tank, buffers and snowploughs refitted! Looks really strange without em!

Does anyone know if you can get the 1980s style British Leyland BR crew road vehicles in O gauge at all? Those yellow van things, which always seemed to turn up in your photograph about 3 minutes before the special! :)

Cheers,

Rich

Does anyone know if you can get the 1980s style British Leyland BR crew road vehicles in O gauge at all? Those yellow van things, which always seemed to turn up in your photograph about 3 minutes before the special! :)

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich,

You mean these? http://www.gjhplant.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=50&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

Also try Peter Clarke for depot details; http://www.peterclarkkits.com/figures.htm

Nice to see such rapid progress on your layout, I find it very inspiring! If it were not so very cold up there, I would venture into my loft and do something with my 7mm!

Keep up the good work!

John E.

Evening All,

Thanks for that tip Pete, i'd looked around for some bigger sheets and not found them, so that's great.

Also, John ... perfect! Thanks. I'm guessing Fox or somebody will do the transfers for the side of them, so they are perfect. Also, although i've looked at Peter Clarke's website before, somehow i'd managed to miss the details and figures page! Can see some fun coming about there!!! ;)

Well not really managed any progress today due to work, although about 11pm last night I did get the core structure for the depot offices stuck together. The offices will be a typical brick structure, as found at many depots, although this one will be a double-floor offices. I'm guessing the local civil engineer has some of his staff based here too! From most of my research they all seemed to have flat roofs for some reason, but I think Clifford Road will end up with an angled roof with slates.

The final building to be done is the fuelling point, which due to the harsh Scottish climate had its own 'lean-to' type structure. Once that is done, my plan is to settle down to detailing the three buildings to the point where I'm happy with them, then concentrating on weathering and ballasting the track, before progressing further. With any luck, that should keep me happy ... well busy anyway! ... over Christmas.

A couple of pics of the new base office building attached, there will be a backscene ... eventually!

post-9617-007125100 1292103878_thumb.jpg

post-9617-075944000 1292103839_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

Rich

:rolleyes: You beat me to it John..!! :D

I have to say that the "paint trick" on the 37's buffer beam doesn't look too bad on the photos; it seems to conceal the lack of a cut-away buffer beam quite well.

Of course, if you want the job doing properly, Mr Harvey is already watching your thread... ;) :)

:rolleyes: You beat me to it John..!! :D

I have to say that the "paint trick" on the 37's buffer beam doesn't look too bad on the photos; it seems to conceal the lack of a cut-away buffer beam quite well.

Of course, if you want the job doing properly, Mr Harvey is already watching your thread... ;) :)

I have to say, Pete did a superb job on both of those conversions! 100% excellent .... now if he could convert one to a centre headcode variety for one of the Inverness based machines, he could have a commission sat waiting ;)

Once I get the tractor reassembled I'll do a few close ups ... personally i think it 'looks' right.

Rich

New offices look great, a good siguise for the motors ;) Carry on the good work you are keeping me working at mine!

Kristian

Thanks Kristian, glad your progressing with your layout!

Think both buildings will look good once detailed. I'm trying to come up with idea's for dealing with the office interiors at the moment. Don't really want to have white windows, but equally don't want to spend time build a detailed interior for each window, that nobody will really see! I'm thinking of trying to find an appropriate picture that can be printed, and placed directly onto the foamboard, with the brick surrounds and window frames then built on top of it?

If anybody has any thoughts ... let me know! Also, i'm sure i've read or seen somewhere that Slaters do some Girder Bridge sides, but I can't find them on their website or any reference on Google ... so may be I'm wrong ... anybody enlighten me?

Ta

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Coming on nicely. Those buildings should fit in very well. I have used the Southeast Finescale brick plasticard in the past and very pleased with the result.

The class 20's are great models, somehow the 4mm versions do not do the real thing justice - much better in 7mm.

Keep the updates coming.

Coming on nicely. Those buildings should fit in very well. I have used the Southeast Finescale brick plasticard in the past and very pleased with the result.

The class 20's are great models, somehow the 4mm versions do not do the real thing justice - much better in 7mm.

Keep the updates coming.

Evening Mudmagnet,

Thanks for that and for the comment about SEF plasticard. I'm hoping to get that ordered tomorrow, then the big job over Christmas is ballasting - but still haven't found where to get big bags of ballast! The 20s look fantastic I must say, and yes I agree with your comment 7mm does all locos more justice i think!

No progress on the layout this weekend due to work commitments, bu i have managed to progress the soundchip fitting to the 37 ... just got to sort the lights out and I can put it back together again and get one with some proper modelling!

Cheers

Rich

Rich

C+L fine scale sell large bottles/tubs of 7mm ballast it's good though it does need a rather PVA heavy mix with water to fix it down and needs to be left for a while to go off.

But remember to paint the track before you ballast.

post-6665-064958100 1292288183_thumb.jpg

post-6665-002861500 1292288114_thumb.jpg

post-6665-070684000 1292288171_thumb.jpg

Pete

Archived