Cardiff Show 2010 (line up)

br2975

I've just had a glimpse of the circular Castle Works layout and it looks fascinating and instantly recognisable as Castle Works.

I'm expecting the layout to rotate and the trains run like mad to stand still! Is this what happens?

I've just had a glimpse of the circular Castle Works layout and it looks fascinating and instantly recognisable as Castle Works.

I'm expecting the layout to rotate and the trains run like mad to stand still! Is this what happens?

Rod,

On behalf of my younger sibling (Paul) I thank you for your kind words.

He has considered mounting the layout on a 'lazy Susan' with a 'jack plug' as a centre pivot in order to transfer the power supply (only two wires anyway).

The original idea would then have a DeWalt (or similar) drill with rechargeable battery using a rubber tyre making contact with the base of the layout and allowing it to turn.

However, as the layout is a looped '8' with the inner circle of a smaller radius, the train would appear to go backwards when running on the outside, and then speed up whilst on the inside circuit (I think).

Anyway, it's in hand.

BTW it's 25years almost since I saw Llanastr last, and it still captures my imagination (apologies for the misspelling above)....... keep your eyes on that Kerr Stuart 'Victory' !!

Come downstairs and have a closer look Sunday.

Bian R

For those who are thinking of attending the Cardiff Show tomorrow (Sunday) - it's well worth it, without wishing to decry the efforts displayed in previous years, the quality of this years layouts is excellent, some of the best I've seen.

Again, a number of "RMwebbers" were on hand to stop and chat, Retroman, Valleymodeller, Wayne37901, Rouse2037 (to name but a few) and one gentleman who travelled up from the lands west of Briton Ferry bridge, (good win over Leicester today mate, and I meant what I said about Robbie James..... in whose praise we used to sing a version of the song "From a Jack to a KING !" ).

Brian R

For those who are thinking of attending.....it's well worth it,.

......and one gentleman who travelled up from the lands west of Briton Ferry bridge,

Hi all

I agree with Brian... a very enjoyable visit.

I was pleased to see Llanastr once again (twenty-five'ish years have passed)...Quality endures.

I enjoyed our chat about football, Brian. Perhaps next time it'll be about railways?:)

My photos turned out to be a damp squib....I left Macro Mode switched on and the shots came out blurred, except for this one of Clutton

Randall

post-6897-065820600 1287874452_thumb.jpg

I'm sure it was a good show.

I've always enjoyed the Cardiff show,

and I'm amazed that folk don't seem to travel from afar to go to it.

There's always a number of quality layouts there, adn I hope the word will spread.......( I Know I'm biased, cos it's my local show)

but I really missed it this year!

I'm looking forward to our rmwebbers pub-nite,

and Brian will tell me all about it!

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed Taunton!

Newport Rod, the clubs' new train set looks to be a good plan.

"Little Mill Jnc" is a good prototype, and as it's so close, you've no excuses for innacurrcies in the model! :lol: :lol:

(just kidding, I'm sure it will be great!)

Please be sure to post updates here....

BTW. I think you should give Llanastr more airings!

I'd love to see it again!

Cheers all

come along to the pub-meet!

Marc

Brian

I spoke to Paul on Sunday thanks. It really is a very interesting layout and staggering to thing that it was completed in six weeks. The plans to motorise the rotation are interesting and I 'd have though that varying the angular speed of rotation of the to match the linear speed of the train might be an interesting exercise ;-)

Marc,

LMJ should prove an interesting project and there's a progress update here. We'd better shape up though as our esteemed treasurer has accepted a booking for it. Llanastr will be out of circulation for a while, but I won't say that it'll never be out again.

Cheers

Rod

Brian

.............. and I 'd have though that varying the angular speed of rotation of the to match the linear speed of the train might be an interesting exercise ;-)

Wha ?

Have a care Rod, I sat CSE maths three times in an effort to get a Grade 1 (equivalent to an 'O' Level pass) and failed !

I had flashbacks at UWIC last weekend as I last entered it's hallow'd portals in 1976 in order to fail OND Engineering !

Brian

Rumours are that in spite of the change to a new venue, which normally results in a lower attendance, the attendance figures were some 25 - 30% higher than last year, well done Cardiff.

The exhibitors I've been in touch outwith RMweb, have all said what a good show it was from their point of view, so a good 'un all round from the sounds of it.

Even visitors from north of the other boarder too, very nice picture of No. 900.

Rumours are that in spite of the change to a new venue, which normally results in a lower attendance, the attendance figures were some 25 - 30% higher than last year.

The exhibitors I've been in touch outwith RMweb, have all said what a good show it was from their point of view, so a good 'un all round from the sounds of it.

Yep, you're right

When I undertook my stint 'on the door' just after lunch on Saturday, we reached the attendance figure for the whole of the previous year's Saturday.

As for the quality of the exhibits, and without decrying the efforts of previous exhibitors, there was a noticeable improvement.

Whilst the layouts appealed to my reasonably catholic taste in the hobby, and 'Minster' apart, the most 'modern' layout then appeared to be 'Sheep Pasture' set in the early 1960s, Clutton was mid 1950s BR(WR)and then we had pre-nationalisation, and pre-grouping (Llanstr and Aberdare).

Perhaps one reasonably "modern" diesel/electric layout may have had an effect upon the younger, aspiring modeller(s) in attendance.

'Castle Works' whilst 'modern' may be a little esoteric for that description, but was locally inspired.

This should considered an 'observation, and NOT as criticism, quality was up, attendances up and the mood was buoyant - as an exhibitor, I enjoyed this show.

Brian R

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good to see you there today Al, and Mark and Roger too. I had to rush off, hope you enjoyed yourself. Just had a look at your links, above, to your layouts - very nice.

See you soon.

Tony

Nice to see you too, Tony - and thanks for the kind words on the layouts. I enjoyed it - nice little show, with a bit more to spend my money on than I was expecting.

Nice to see you too, Tony - and thanks for the kind words on the layouts. I enjoyed it - nice little show, with a bit more to spend my money on than I was expecting.

Great to see you too Tony, and Roger, Dave & Al...

and yes, you were not alone in finding something to spend money on :rolleyes:

Marc

Archived