Marshland & Moxley 7mm Lt Rly - Trowell 26th February

Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

I have started this thread again because of the the bandwidth consumed by looking at all my previous posts. The story up to the post below can be found on the old forum: http://www.rmweb.co....t=40168&start=0

A brief summary, M&M is to be a layout set in the Black Country and in the Fens using mostly scratchbuilt locos (bodies from Plastikard) and wagons (mainly from card and paper)

Station building interior

Looking through the windows in a previous pic I noticed it looked a bit bare and thought I'll have to do something about the interior.

23lkxf.jpg

Card and paper again with some shellac on the cupboards and stool, the walls are coloured with felt pens and then shellaced to make them look a bit grubby, the floor is done the same way. The paper spike is a bit of wire with tissue paper 'dockets' (it was always 'dockets' when I was a kid) and a book from mounting board and thin card. The notices and the clock made in MS Publisher.

The passengers just get two benches in their waiting room and nothing else.

Now I'm going to have to experiment with some small LED's to put some light in there :-)

Jim

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim Read

I took these pics yesterday, the layout is now nearly complete. Here you can see part of the station with the Cinchilla Dust surface suggested by Bob Hughes, it worked very well indeed. The loco is a Y6 tram variety the 'shed' portion made from card and the lower part from Plastikard, both the open wagon and the cattle wagon are made from card and paper.

2v7tbuu.jpg

The goods platform with the old van body as a store, I left this with the shellac on and it got nicely spattered with paint from doing the trackwork. The loco is Bristol from Alfred Rosling Bennett's book The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding. Made with old and very used Hornby wheels and an ex-gov Plessey 9 pole motor, I call it 'Little Swine' (sometimes worse) if there's a fault on the trackwork it will find it.

34ywl79.jpg

The other end of the station platform with the little diesel as used on the North Sunderland Railway and called 'The Lady Armstrong' on there. I must make another coupling hook for it. The coach is made from layers of Plasikard and was a swine to make, but it does look suitably grotty.

140mfpv.jpg

The private owner siding, the platform is surfaced with wet & dry paper from a suggestion by Martin Hogg, you can also see the exposed fiddle yard / run round behind the Slow Mouldy and Jolting van, another of Martin's ideas. The industry could be a scratchings factory in the Black Country or a Fruit Cannery in the Fens. One of the wagons the MR one is a Slaters kit bought for me as a present the rest in view are made from card and paper.

6igr5j.jpg

The layout in its entirety.

zjta2f.jpg

To the left of the factory wall is a slope and on it will be the words;

Marshland and Moxley Light Railways

Chatters Welcome

Please take a seat

If you can make it to the Crewe Exhibition on Sunday the 24th January I'll be very glad to see you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

At the Crewe exhibition I met Tony Boon photographer and backscene creator who kindly let me have this prototype backscene. After two failed attempts, 1 on foam board and 1 on card I stuck the scene to MDF with Mangers wallpaper paste. It now bows slightly inwards just right to rest on a ledge and be held in place with a some of those plastic clamps you can buy from pound shops.

k2z4op.jpg

24cuo2t.jpg

ofy6up.jpg

vzh4j4.jpg

2d7f2g5.jpg

fzaxqx.jpg

mn2gqv.jpg

The photographs speak for themselves.

I was amazed and delighted. Thank you Tony.

Jim

I think the scene will soon be available from ID Backscenes of Crewe.

Fantastic!- it makes it spring to life. We owe a great deal to ID and their inspirational work; so many layouts have been raised to the wow! level by them, including my own, he says modestly :rolleyes: . I have been following this one, and am very impressed by it, please keep posting.

Richard

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Bill, Ben and Neil nice of you to comment, over the next few weeks I will be making the layout fit the backscene a bit better.

I am going to start, soon, a 7mmNG layout and am wondering now whether I should buy or make a backscene first.

Jim

I am going to start, soon, a 7mmNG layout and am wondering now whether I should buy or make a backscene first.

Unless you are going to paint your own it would be easier to build scenery to match a backscene than add a backscene to an existing layout. Moxley suited the houses because of the level horizon at the back of the baseboard but if you're going to have undulating scenery it's definitely best to know at least what the backscene looks like first even if it's not added to the layout before scenic work starts.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I forgot to post that I am at the Bingham exhibition today (Sat) and tomorrow the 25th.

Anyone in Notts is very welcome to pop along and have a go.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello MF,

Thanks for the nice comment, I tried to model a generic light railway, its nice to just potter very slowly about a mostly deserted yard, a bit like Ringing Rock working on one cylinder for a couple of weeks.

I made a model of General Don which became Clevedon on the WC&P:

29e3whz.jpg

Slaters wheels, Plastikard, a Mashima motor and flywheel runs superbly.

Jim

• 3 months later...
Guest Jim Read

I will be at the Grantham show on Sunday the 5th September, it is a 2 day show but I am unable to make it on the Saturday.

Anyone who would like to have a go and a chat is very welcome.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

I will be at the Romiley show on Sat the 11th Sept.

The venue is the Romily Methodist Church, Stockport Road, Romiley

Anyone who would like to have a go will be evry welcome

Cheers - Jim

• 1 year later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I will be at the Ilkeston Woodside MRC exhibtion at Trowell on Sunday the 26th February. Anyone reading this is very welcome to have a look and have a go.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Really impressed to meet Jim Read and see Moxley, even if its (sadly) the final exhibition. I learned a lot talking to him. So much you can do in 7mm in a small space.

• 1 year later...

Nicely done too. We need more light railways on here!

Andrew

Now with the Ixion Hudswell Clarke and the Dapol Terrier coming out in due course, you would think that we have everything needed for this to happen! 4-wheel coaches from slaters, RTR open trucks from Skytrex and Dapol, RTR track from Peco...

Archived