Chris Nevard

Astolat Model Railway Circle Annual Exhibition Saturday 15th January 2011

Guildford Methodist Church

Woodbridge Road

Guildford

Surrey

GU1 4RG

Open from 9.30 a.m. until 5.00 p.m.

Prices: Adults £3.50 Concessions £2.50 (unconfirmed)

• Garden Railway (G)
  • Camas Orainin (Gn15)
  • Boreham MPD (0)
  • Lynton Road (0)
  • Gravel Bottom (016.5)
  • Fisherton Sarun (OO)
  • Catcott Burtle (OO)
  • Lyn Castle (OO)
  • New Bridge Street (OO)
  • Port Skeera (EM)
  • Kite Houses (P4)
  • Bryn-y-Felin (OO9)
  • Lower Peak Wharf (OO9)
  • Prospect Valley (H0)
  • Modbury Tor (3mm TT)
  • Chacombe Junction (N)
  • Champion Falls (N)
  • Hedges Hill Cutting (N)
  • Shackleford Road Wharf (N)

Traders

• Aar Models - Models and Scenic Items
  • Railwayania - Bachmann & Replica
  • Kevin Roberts - Books
  • Modern Models - Hornby & 00 Items
  • Page Components - Tools Etc.
  • Plus Daughters - N Gauge Items
  • Steam Age - Pre-owned Items
  • Medway Queen Preservation Society (reading Group)
  • Hollcombe Steam Collection

This is my local show, so it would be rude for me not to take a trainset down (Catcott Burtle). A quick gander at the run down would suggest there are a few other RMwebbers playing trains too - so please come along to support us!

From experience, parking can be a little limited, but there are several public car parks within a 5 to 10 minute walk. The railway station is a 10 or so minute walk and if you want to go for a pint (and bring one back for me) I believe the pub opposite is pretty good.

External link for full details: Astolat Model Railway Circle Annual Exhibition website for more info.

Google Street View Link including a nice modern bus for the spotters: http://maps.google.c...246.67,,0,-0.01

From experience, parking can be a little limited

From experience - non-existent - might be a better description with car parks better described as a brisk 10 min hike away.

This is a great pity as it should be a good show to start the 2011 season.

Have a great day to those attending ... especially those with a camera .. hint ;)

Chris & Graham. Looking forward to seeing you both on Saturday. However I will have my little 'un (Adam)in tow so it may be a quick visit as he has the attention span of a forgetful goldfish at the moment. If this is the case I will try to return later in the afternoon.

It'll be my first exhibtion in over a year and one of Adams first.

Regards, Mark

Thank you to the RM webbers who popped by for a chat and those that maybe I didn't get a chance to acknowledge. Set up was only 17 mins from getting out of the car to running a loco. Break down at the end took 25 mins. The layout performed well, with the only 2 of derailments of the whole day being caused by not placing stock properly onto the fiddle yard tracks in the first place - duh! :blush_mini:

A big thank to Endavo for giving up his day to help me out with the trainset. :happy_mini:

Congratulations have to go the Graham Muz and his team for winning the much cherished 'Layout of the Show' with the excellent Fisherton Sarum. :drink_mini:

post-6681-0-50002500-1295117573_thumb.jpg

Catcott audience at the Astolat Model Railway Circle annual exhibition on Saturday 15 January 2011. The tweed suited gent on the right is Bob Symes who may be familiar to people who remember 1960's & 70's TV - Model World and Tomorrow's World. Amongst other things he also popped up on 'Bob's Your Uncle' (Childrens Channel) in the late 1980's.

• RMweb Gold

Had a great time at a really good little show. A high quality of exhibits across the board with well balanced trade. I have to thank the Astolat club for great hospiltaity and being furnished with amble tea and coffee without leaving the layout. See my blog here for more thoughts on the day

Congratulations have to go the Graham Muz and his team for winning the much cherished 'Layout of the Show' with the excellent Fisherton Sarum. :drink_mini:

I was very very surprised and humbled to have been awarded best in show especially as it was voted by peers and there was such a high standard of layouts on show.

Thanks also go to my operating team of fellow High Wycombe and District MRS members Alan, Simon, Mark, Daniel and Roger.

Congratulations have to go the Graham Muz and his team for winning the much cherished 'Layout of the Show' with the excellent Fisherton Sarum.

Hi,

Here he is collecting his award from Bob during the ceremony:

post-7271-0-65143500-1295178255_thumb.jpg

I have no doubt that is was christened yesterday evening with a nice cooled beverage! :drink_mini:

Thanks also go to my operating team of fellow High Wycombe and District MRS members Alan, Simon, Mark, Daniel and Roger.

'Tis alright, had a very enjoyable day, although both dad and I were knackered by the time we got home!

Simon

We had an excellent day out, nice to see Robert and that his memory is still as keen as ever.

The crush prevented us from having more than a few words with both Graham and Chris but it was well worth the drive, we even took in the Mid-Hants on our return journey.

Thank you

DesA

This was my first visit to this show, when Graham asked if Daniel I could help I of course said yes, it's a fun day out and a nice layout to operate. The show turned out to be very good, with some excellent layouts. The constant supply of coffee throughout the day, delivered to the layout, was most welcome, a very hospitable group.

It was particularly pleasing when the Astolat chairman came up and invited Graham to collect the trophy, especially since the competition from the other layouts was so high. Not that I am biased or anything, but some well deserved recognition for a very nicely modelled layout.

The prize for best comment of the day however has to go to one of our younger viewers. Daniel was driving the MPD and a loco derailed going tender first over a point, Daniel exclaimed "I don't know why that happened!" and a little boy, maybe 4 or 5, chimes up with "Your were driving too fast!". Clearly he had heard me lecturing Daniel earlier, but it had us all laughing. As they say, out of the mouths of babes....

Congratulations Graham and thank you to the Astolat group.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

HI Paul

Thanks for posting the great video of Fisherton Sarum, I am even caught on the sound almost doing a voice over at some points. I apologise for the some of the speeding locos in the shed area - Young Daniel must have been at the controls!:lol:

If you are planning on coming to the Aningdon show in March please say hello!

Archived