Corris original track

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Found these little bits of magical remains in an old quarry site above the Corris Railway. Left just as they were when it was a working quarry. Hopefully they'll be preserved in the future.

Also some original track on the Corris Railway proper at Machynlleth uncovered by the original station. Looks like a wagon 'puterona'!

post-6728-12583048057035_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12583052449241_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12583054053806_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12583054960231_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12583056068383_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The quarry is Aberllefenni Slate Quarry. According to http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/GALLERY5.HTM it closed in December 2003. I drove up there about 4 years ago and the adit entrance was still open, but with a gate across. The November 2003 issue of Railway Bylines had an article too. There's a fair bit of information about the quarry and the line on the internet but it takes a while to find it.

Found these little bits of magical remains in an old quarry site above the Corris Railway. Left just as they were when it was a working quarry. Hopefully they'll be preserved in the future.

Also some original track on the Corris Railway proper at Machynlleth uncovered by the original station. Looks like a wagon 'puterona'!

Latterly slabs of slate were dragged out on a wagon and I believe taken by a forklift truck to the nearby slate works. There were at the time when I visited in the 1980s a large number of bits of former railway equipment all over the area.

Stu

• 10 months later...

'puterona' sounds like something vaguely improper in Spanish.. what is it?

http://www.osbornsmo...iler-1678-p.asp

Nice photos, I remember being there a few years ago seeing the remains of the lines and inclines. Very atmospheric.

When is the welsh quarry layout being started, John?

Thanks for the memories Re 6/6.

We moved from Coventry to Upper Corris in January 1971 when I was age 9. I went to school in Corris - our school being adjacent to the Corris Railway formation save for a farm access.

A chap named Idris Evans lived in or village and drove the battery electric loco in the quarry in Aberllefenni - mostly underground. They used a Ferguson tractor to haul the wagons from the quarry to the cutting shed at that time.

The revitalised Corris Railway was very much in it's infancy then, the museum in the former stables housing artifacts from the old system.

It's is amazing how the preserved railway has advanced - what with one replica steam loco in service, and the only other design at planning stage.

RE6/6-If you check out the Corris website you should find a couple of shots from almost the same location as yours, taken back when the adit was still being worked,together with plenty of other interesting stuff.

For those interested,I recently visited the centre for alternative technology a little further down the valley-as many of you will know this is located in an old quarry formerly served by the line and what appears to be an embankment connecting the quarry & line (seemingly constructed from slate waste) is clearly visible from the rather vertiginous viewing platform at the top of the funicular

ATB

Nick

Archived