Smethwick West station and Junction

Hi all

I was jusy wondering whether or not anyone knew of any books or mag articles that reference the disused station that was Smethwick West in Birmingham. Very little in the usual online places. I'm mainly interested in working out what type the box was although that will be quite easy for those in the know. Also the main thing is the station footbridge and its link to the station office which was on the embankment above the platforms.

kind regards

Thanks guys, I'd already visited those but thanks for taking the time to reply.

They are all of course useful but do show most of what I know and what is still there apart from the signal box that is.

box and signal (without number?)

junc and box

47 and box

Then there is this one that does show the ticket office and bridge but its very small and far away.? Station looking away from Brum

I presume thats a GWR box given the GWR origins of the line but then the GWR line did continue towards handsworth and on to Snow hill, and the line to the right into New st.

Certainly looks like a GWR box.? ? That's the limit of my own knowlege but you might want to compare it with these.

Thanks Edwin

I think your right, it looks a little like Astrop on that site, but looking through some of the other local Boxes its definately GWR with hipped roof. I may well try the churchward kit and just convert the lower half of the kit with brick card sheeting.

Well with that problem solved I'm on to work out what the concrete building is behind the Box, looks a little like a pillbox, but can't ? remember there being a pillbox there from when I was younger.? Pillbox???

Would still like to know if anyone knows if the station is described anywhere in print?

Kind regards

Yes, this is pretty well a standard GWR box, similar to those still in existence at Droitwich, Worcester and splendidly re-created at Kidderminster on the SVR. The pill box is in fact a relay room which housed the 'Westpack' signalling gear which interfaced with New Street power box, so dates from circa 1968.

Ah Thanks Steve, I had wondered about the relay box/building. The track mapping I have does show quite clearly the boundary between the New st PSB and SJ (smethwick Junc) Box.? 

Well I'm getting there just need info on the actual signalling now as there appears to be several items I'm not familiar with around the Junc.

Many thanks.

I travelled from Stourbridge to Smethwick West to school every day from around 1964 to 1968. Both platforms still had brick built buildings at that time, and gas lamps on the platforms. I remember clearly the enamelled sign at the top of the steps up to the Booking Office that declared 'All tickets must be shewn', and I was convinced that spelling was a mistake for years.

Mostly the daily trains were DMUs, but there was a time when they were breaking down with such regularity that one working was substituted by a big prairie (4168?) with 5 suburban coaches. There was a discernible groan on the platform at Stourbridge when it came round the curve into the station, such was the reputation that steam had at that time. (Imagine the reaction now!) The train I caught was either around 8am, which was a semi fast and only stopped at Oldbury before stopping at Smethwick, or an all stops local which was about a quarter of hour later. The prairie was on the local, and the getaway at Cradley up the hill to Old Hill was far from sprightly, and it always seemed a bit of a miracle when it made it to the top.

Cheers,

Geoff

Thanks for the reply Geoff, its always good to here stories of the places that I remember from before I remember them.

Anyone with West midlands railway books please could you let me know if there is any info on Smethwick and the junction, signalling layout or track layout, the station building and ticket office and footbridge. I've hit a stumbling block and need to get over it quickly.

Many thanks

Hi Dave

Thanks for the links, looking at the old plan I hadn't realised there was more to the junction than first thought. Shame really both are either side of my time period. I'm looking at the 1980s. The line to Handsworth being single line ops and return wrong road workings on the up main to Rood end/ Langley green to reverse. I'm not sure what the junc box would have had control over.

There was a single semaphore on the down main seen in this image Semaphore down main .

In this photo I take it that the 3 aspect protects departing traffic joining the mainline at Galton Junc for New street and the raised ground signal controls the use of the handsworth line to the left. In the background it I think that is a 2 aspect signal for trains coming off the goods line. signalling at the junc

Then the other end of the station I presume is the back of a repeater and the semaphores for traffic continuing towards Stourbridge.? Stourbridge end

I'd be interested in any operational info regarding the wrong road movements as that would have been a good mile or two to rood end to reverse in the goods yard there.

Kind regards

• RMweb Gold

In this photo I take it that the 3 aspect protects departing traffic joining the mainline at Galton Junc for New street and the raised ground signal controls the use of the handsworth line to the left. In the background it I think that is a 2 aspect signal for trains coming off the goods line.

Yes - is the 2-aspect controlling wrong line movements, it could have a shunt underneath it, so the main aspect was "fixed" at red ? - you might find it is released by the next box and can only be released when the points are set for the sidings or over a crossover (at the next) box.

The 4-aspect looks to have been provided with a feather at one time and indeed the banner(below) has a disused bracket which would have carried another head for the junction.

Then the other end of the station I presume is the back of a repeater and the semaphores for traffic continuing towards Stourbridge

Yes - with a distant for the next box (unless its an IB ?), which makes it (probably) approx. 1200yds away ... and a disused bracket on the banner.

I'd be interested in any operational info regarding the wrong road movements as that would have been a good mile or two to rood end to reverse in the goods yard there.

See above - might be nearer than you think ?

Sectional Appendix ?

hth

Thanks for the link Steve

It's similar to the planningportal images, but a little clearer and higher Res so thanks. It will help with the general landscape, allthough I don't recall what looks to be a walkway down to the up platform from the bridge, that may have been a quite late addition after they removed the footbridge.

A couple more photos have come to light also, a much better image albeit B&W of the signal box. But that footbridge is still elusive!

Kind regards

I remember Smethwick West in the late 1960s. A friend and I were on a Midlands Railtourer ticket and had to change trains here; probably we'd arrived from Snow Hill and wanted to return to New Street. For some reason we got told off about something by one of the station staff. Can't recall what it was all about now, but Smethwick West lingers in the memory.

Just thought I'd post up a few of the images that I've found over the last few days or so.

The signal box, it appears that the windows on the lower half have been boarded up? Signal box

Looking towards Stourbridge? Up main

Please if anyone does know of any books on this line or the station, I'm now interested in the ticket office and station footbridge, but all info is welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Attached are 2 photos taken when the station was open taken in 1990

post-7359-12612624115318_thumb.jpg

post-7359-12612624717575_thumb.jpg

The first is a two car 101/116 hybrid on a Stourbridge Junction - New Street service and the second is a three car 150 sprinter on a Hereford - New Street service taken from the footbridge. As with Stechford, I probably have some more of Smethwick, but they are hidden in the depths and I will have to look at my notes to see what I have.

Phil

Thanks Phil

Great photos once again many thanks. Would love to hear if you have any with the bridge in view, or if not do you have any memories of it?? 

I have a feeling that it would have been a girder bridge similar to the paneling at Kidderminster Kiddy girder footbridge I'm sure there's another one similar near by too but can't put my finger on it.

You can just about make it out on this fun video of a sped up clip of a cab ride Stourbridge to Brum (2min 35sec

Yeah its a shame about the quality, there is another video by the shame driver I think going back from New st, however the sun is right in the drivers face just as he approaches Smethwick West so its all in silhouette.

My Dad and I caught this train when we went spotting in the 80s from Stourbridge in to New st, our record for the journey was 4 1/2hrs from New st back to Stourbridge, as some nice people had thrown a number of concrete sleepers across the tracks, luckily our driver had slowed enough not to derail once we hit them. Atleast it was a summers eve and not mid winter on an ageing 116 or 117.

I've found the link I was looking for of a girder footbridge that I reckon was similar to the version at Smethwick. From just down the road but long gone by the 80s. The old Handsworth station had some nice architecture.

Handsworth footbridge

quite a station

from a distance

If nothing else comes to light then thats the route I'll take constructing the footbridge. I know that the footbridge did link up to the ticket office too. There was also the path running down the embankment which is shown in Phils shot above.

Archived