1964 Slide scans (was Eastleigh)

Do you think that the mesh on several chimneys was a spark arrester, or an anti-nesting device?

It was a spark arrestor, Ian.

Dave, that is a great selection on flickr, thanks for putting them up - but how could you afford to shoot colour in 1964 as a schoolboy icon_mutter.gif ? Is that an AWS battery box under the bunker on 30053?

• RMweb Premium

Dave, that is a great selection on flickr, thanks for putting them up - but how could you afford to shoot colour in 1964 as a schoolboy icon_mutter.gif ? Is that an AWS battery box under the bunker on 30053?

The M7s all have Westinghouse too. I think these may have been the Waterloo carriage shifters ousted by Standard tanks?

36E

The M7s all have Westinghouse too. I think these may have been the Waterloo carriage shifters ousted by Standard tanks?

36E

No, the M7s don't have Westinghouse (as in the braking system), but air pumps for push-pull working. There was precious little Air-braked stock in any case (though the LBSC was an air-braked railway before the grouping). These late surviving M7s were mostly used in the Bournemouth area on local services. 30053 was apparently withdrawn from Three Bridges, however, and was not - in BR days at least - ever allocated to Nine Elms. AWS was a fairly common fitting on SR locos by 1960.

Adam

Well, it definitely looks like a AWS battery box, (apologies to Dave for mangling his pic), but enhancing the front end a little shows no evidence of a bang plate or detector shoe:

post-6908-12609582339262_thumb.jpg

You can clearly see the hoses for pull-push working and the reservoir, but nowt else. Interesting.

• RMweb Gold

Glad you like them, I've so far done quick and dirty scans of about half my slides, including all my BR steam photos. I'll bash on with uploading them to flickr as I get around to some minimal tagging.

There are a few scans out of sequence such as

%3Ca%20href=2750726511_ece12e25e0_b.jpg">

Set at end of steam.

As for how I afforded colour, I think that was down to generous parents, and the use of Gratispool film. ??1 for 36 exposures, process paid.

Dave

Well, it definitely looks like a AWS battery box, (apologies to Dave for mangling his pic), but enhancing the front end a little shows no evidence of a bang plate or detector shoe:

post-6908-12609582339262_thumb.jpg

You can clearly see the hoses for pull-push working and the reservoir, but nowt else. Interesting.

Maybe it got removed and fitted on to something else?

I suspect that the reservoir would protect the AWS magnet from the coupling very effectively. The back-end did have a bang-plate of course as shown several times here:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/m7class_02.html

Lots more shots of 30053 here:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/m7class_03.html

The gear was seemingly removed prior to export to the USA, and since at the time of Unravelled's photo, the last of the M7s were withdrawn, there weren't any loco's the gear could usefully have been fitted too. Far more likely is that the purchaser didn't want it.

BTW, It simply isn't true that all the long framed M7s were fitted for push-pull, though the kit could only be fitted to the long-framed variety. None - so far as I know - EVER had air brakes, Westinghouse or otherwise. The air supply operated the regulator and was an SR fitting. Details of those so fitted are in the table here:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/m7class_dat.html

Adam

No, the M7s don't have Westinghouse (as in the braking system), but air pumps for push-pull working. There was precious little Air-braked stock in any case (though the LBSC was an air-braked railway before the grouping). These late surviving M7s were mostly used in the Bournemouth area on local services. 30053 was apparently withdrawn from Three Bridges, however, and was not - in BR days at least - ever allocated to Nine Elms. AWS was a fairly common fitting on SR locos by 1960.

Adam

30053 was reinsteated for a week, or so, in July 1964,(oh yes, I saw it therebiggrin.gif ) and unofficially based at 9E for an enthusiasts special around the existing branches around South London, concentrated on the Surrey/Sussex/East Hants area, it shared the work with a Willesden based BR Standard 2 2-6-0, the number of which I cant remember - but something like 78038 (ish). I believe AWS is an essentail when working such area.

I believe AWS is an essential when working such area.

Point taken, but it had clearly been fitted some time before! 30053 was not a nine Elms loco' in 'normal' service however - be fair, I can only get hold of the 'official' allocations on the web! ;)

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Some wonderful pics there Dave - thanks for sharing them.

Was it just coincidence that 6990 ended up preserved, guessing she was a Didcot engine in BR days ?

Those Castles do look nice. I really can't justify one on my trainset, but scruffied up a bit I may be tempted.

Lovely stuff Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just caught up with this thread - thanks for posting, especially the photos of Eastleigh. My dad worked there, and I got my first taste of steam aged 5 with lots of weekend stints on the shed pilot, usually a '700' class, always seemed to be 30306. Also many a happy Saturday morning playing on the ex-works locos brought out from the works on Fridays and parked round the side of the shed on the airport side. The pictures of the scrap line bought back one particular memory as well - the smell of a long out of use steam loco on a hot summer day.

Archived