Northern Maiden's Workbench

This is the station building/waitingroom that I built recently for my own layout. The layout is set in the west of Scotland on the Gareloch in the late sixties/early seventies. I couldn't find anything R-t-R that suited the feel of the area.

The model was made mainly with Wills sheets (coarse stone, tiling and corrugated iron) with wooden interior panellng. The whole thing took about a week to complete....and I did manage to get the gents toilet firmly stuck to my finger at one point:blink:

Early Stages...

DunwoodyFrontElevation.jpg

Interior Wood Painted...

DunwoodyInterior.jpg

Waiting Room/Shelter... Complete with benches, Ladies Toilets and travel posters.

dunwoodyposters.jpg

Complete Building with Canopy and Signage...

DWFrontal.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This is the station building/waitingroom that I built recently for my own layout. The layout is set in the west of Scotland on the Gareloch in the late sixties/early seventies. I couldn't find anything R-t-R that suited the feel of the area.

The model was made mainly with Wills sheets (coarse stone, tiling and corrugated iron) with wooden interior panellng. The whole thing took about a week to complete....and I did manage to get the gents toilet firmly stuck to my finger at one point:blink:

Excellent work, and, as I suspected from your stunning effects on wagons, your use of weathering on the stone has brought it out, although the photos could be more explicit on this important feature, perhaps. More would be nice? Forum member toomanyspams has been looking at options for Cornish stone, so might appreciate other views of your results - as would I. If it's only taken you a week, it's hard to see that any proprietary product would have been more appropriate - and certainly not have provided the same level of quality finish. Well done again!

Getting your finger stuck in the gents' loo is probably best not dwelt on in a mainly-male forum!

Excellent work, and, as I suspected from your stunning effects on wagons, your use of weathering on the stone has brought it out, although the photos could be more explicit on this important feature, perhaps. More would be nice? Forum member toomanyspams has been looking at options for Cornish stone, so might appreciate other views of your results - as would I. If it's only taken you a week, it's hard to see that any proprietary product would have been more appropriate - and certainly not have provided the same level of quality finish. Well done again!

Getting your finger stuck in the gents' loo is probably best not dwelt on in a mainly-male forum!

Any particular techniques used on the painting? The colours look rather similar to what I want to achieve on Bodmin, and that finish looks very good!

Thanks for the comments... as requested here are some pics of the stonework. these are the best I can get of the stone detail, but still not "as it is in life" but good enough to get the idea.

Entrance to Ticket Office...

Stonework.jpg

Side Detail before Loo was added...

dunwoodypainted.jpg

Gents Loo....

Stonework2.jpg

I use Valejo, Humbrol Rail Colour and Railmatch acrylic paints. The stone work is first given an overall coat in Valejo "Deck Tan" to provide a mortar colour. I then paint each stone individually ... for this project I visited the local area and noted that the buildings were made of a mix of blonde and red sandstone with some grey stones (granite?) in the mix. I used the following colours for the stones:

Valejo paints: Blonde sandstone - Kahki and Camoflague Orange Ochre

Red Sandstone - Mix of English Uniform and Beige Red (approx 2parts EU to 1 part Beige)

Rooftiles - Field Blue

Railmatch Paints: not many painted but a few smaller stones picked out in Brake Dust

Humbrol Paints: RC402 (Rust) was used to pick out some red sandstones. and RC412 (Diesel Roof?) was used to pick out some random grey stones.

When dry the stone was given a drybrush of Valejo "decktan" and then I added some rust streaks (from signage holders, spandrels, downpipes etc) with brown ink mixed with a little orange. I then used powders to add the dark staining on the stones, making it heaving in areas around the barge-boards and corners where grime can accumulate.

The roof was drybrushed with a lighter shade of the fieldblue (mix with a little white) and again like the stone work was given staining with ink then powders.

It was stuck fast...and panic did eventually set in as I thought "I surely cant go to A&E to get this removed" Thankfully a call to my father (not easy to use a phone with a loo stuck to one of your index fingers) confirmed that he had "stuff" that could soften superglue and he'd come over as soon as he'd stopped laughing <_<

confirmed that he had "stuff" that could soften superglue and he'd come over as soon as he'd stopped laughing <_<

I think I would have done the same thing as well. I tend to use Plastic Weld for the most part so my fingers just sting like I dropped them in vinegar. Fantastic model as well.

• RMweb Gold

Really glad I asked for more pics! These simply show what I suspected - a super finish! Painting individual stones doth make the difference, I think, as it's something I've been too lazy to do, and my stonework looks inferior for that reason. I used a brown wash, a grey wash, and an Indian Ink wash, but picking out here and there would elevate the effect, without doubt.

I think A&E would have enjoyed leaving you sitting in the corridor for a week, while they got on with slightly more urgent cases! So nice to know you have a caring and sympathetic father, too!

• RMweb Premium

It was stuck fast...and panic did eventually set in as I thought "I surely cant go to A&E to get this removed" Thankfully a call to my father (not easy to use a phone with a loo stuck to one of your index fingers) confirmed that he had "stuff" that could soften superglue and he'd come over as soon as he'd stopped laughing <_<

Sorry, quick clarification; was this the model loo or the prototype......???

That looks like somewhere I knew! Apologies if I am repeating myself even if in full. I love that kind of vignette modelling. I tried to say that in the old forum but it ignored me. Please keep us updated because what you are doing is first class and what I want to emulate when I get started (which will be soon)

Stockie

An excellent little construction there. Where did you get the etchings for the canopy supports from?

They look to me like the Lochgorm Kits etchings for Birnam/Invergordon Station but I may be wrong! I bought some to do my Kyle station building and then got some test etches for the correct Kyle brackets to try instead.

Edit - the ones I am thinking of are HLI14 from Lochgorm Kits

Andy B)

They look to me like the Lochgorm Kits etchings for Birnam/Invergordon Station but I may be wrong! I bought some to do my Kyle station building and then got some test etches for the correct Kyle brackets to try instead.

Andy cool.gif

Cheers. :) I might look into those for my layout.

Thanks for the comments guys. For anyone who was wondering the station itself is fictional. I took the look of a Wills Kits station/waiting room building and combined it with the local Gareloch architecture. For a "place holder" I was using a Skaledale building whose dimensions were in balance with everything else on the platform so I used this as something to take basic measurements from.

Andy B)

Yep thats the ones, I was really impressed with the qualilty of these and the other bits I ordered from them.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a sudden flurry of activity at Dunwoody this afternoon. The station building has finally been installed onto the platform along with a utility shed and stone wall. Trees and bushes were also added although these have not been fully fixed and the positioning may change.

Still a bit to do such as fixing the name boards, benches etc along with some other minor detailing work, however I couldn't resist a wee pic with the backdrop ....

Dunwoodywithbackdropb.jpg

Rachel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided to tackle a signalbox after looking at a few old ScR LMS boxes. As with my station Scratchbuild its made from Wills sheets, balsa wood and brass etchings. The measurments were guestimates from the photos taken from the height of the "average door".

When finished this will grace a layout that my local club is constructing.

The Base:

signalboxbase.jpg

Upper Cabin:

Signalboxtop.jpg

The uppercabin like Dunwoody Station has been given balsa wood and plasti-strip detailing on the interior. I plan to fit whitemetal levers, clocks and bells etc along with some furniture to the interior.

Frontal View: the progress so far.... The brass window frames for the front will be able to slide in the channels I made on top and bottom......I really should get a life :rolleyes:

SignalboxFront.jpg

Side View:

Signalboxside.jpg

I still have to carve the cut ends of the base with a scalpel so that they appear as bricks....its tedious but well worth the effort

• RMweb Gold

Got a wee bit more done last night... mainly the fitting of the windows, door and tar roof to the entrance "porch".

I made two sets of running channels that allow the second and fourth windows to slide open and closed..

Interior so far:

SignalboxInterior.jpg

Block instruments and bells on a real shelf, plus a clock. Already looks like a signalbox to me, and the levers are yet to come! Further excellent work Rachel!

Got a bit more interior completed tonight, the most notable being the levers although I've also added a noticeboard, signal diagram and a formica table and chair made from card and wire...the table also having a pink pools coupon and a copy of a major Scottish tabloid on it that the signalmen have been busy with between trains...

SignalboxLevers.jpg

SignalboxInterior-above.jpg

Tidy, once again. Craiglang... <_<

The only thing, and it's not like me to nit pick, is there is no opening at the base to let the mechanical linkages out of the building from the levers and locking to the signals and points.

I'll have to add a disclaimer in that I don't know off hand how the Caley or NB typically arranged this without going looking.

Archived