paint conversion chart

Nice but - maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to cover Humbrol and Railmatch...

You can click the box to bring up the Humbrol colours.

Interesting. Obviously a lot of work has gone into setting it up.

Not of much use to me as it is backwards.

I come from the real world of industrial paint finishing and was brought up to use BS or RAL numbers. Where a closer match was needed I would work to Pantone with the usual get out clause. Paint might not match ink.

A set of RAL numbers in the left hand column would to me be a more logical starting point. Then you could easily see the model colour related to a description that is universally known and accepted. Not just by the individual colours, the whole shebang would have a logical order. But then of course I know the colour groups on RAL by ther first letter and know where to look. Not many people would work like that I suppose.

Bernard

You can click the box to bring up the Humbrol colours.

Interesting. Obviously a lot of work has gone into setting it up.

Not of much use to me as it is backwards.

I come from the real world of industrial paint finishing and was brought up to use BS or RAL numbers. Where a closer match was needed I would work to Pantone with the usual get out clause. Paint might not match ink.

A set of RAL numbers in the left hand column would to me be a more logical starting point. Then you could easily see the model colour related to a description that is universally known and accepted. Not just by the individual colours, the whole shebang would have a logical order. But then of course I know the colour groups on RAL by ther first letter and know where to look. Not many people would work like that I suppose.

Bernard

Interesting resource, would definately be great if Railmatch and Precision were on it for Uk modellers.

have emailed them about the possibility of including RAL numbers, railmatch and pheonix on later editions of the list ....if ya dont ask ya dont get

..Not of much use to me as it is backwards....A set of RAL numbers in the left hand column would to me be a more logical starting point.

I've tried this and you can click on the column headings and drag them to the position you prefer.

Clicking on any column headings sorts in ascending (or descending) order as required, just like your favourite spreadsheet program.

I can't get UK brands here in Norway, so thanks to the OP for this very useful link.

I've tried this and you can click on the column headings and drag them to the position you prefer.

Clicking on any column headings sorts in ascending (or descending) order as required, just like your favourite spreadsheet program.

I can't get UK brands here in Norway, so thanks to the OP for this very useful link.

no problem mate

I can't check as I am away from home using a very slow lap top. Sortable columns would indeed make it much more useful.

Bernard

• 2 months later...

Another useful feature of this site is that it gives the RGB values for the various paint ranges - you can then input the RGB values to the pallet in your favourite image manipulation software.

For example in IrfanView open the paint dialog and select the foreground colour - clicking on the "Define Custom Colors" button allows you to input a desired RGB value for use in the Paint Dialog box.

I used this method to make a colour render of my station building drawings

• RMweb Gold

Just found this, quite interesting.

I'm normally very wary of colour reproduction on computer screens, but the colour examples for the Vallejo colours actually came up on my screen looking pretty close to what they look like in reality. That might just be good fortune though, and would depend very much on screen settings etc!

Still, the conversion charts could become very useful as they expand further. What an effort is must have been already!

Archived