Solsbury Hill - Snow Hill's Southwestern Clone

steam-driven boy

• RMweb Premium

Hi,
I thought a brief review of my project here would be worthwhile, I don't intend to transfer the RMweb3 thread over in full as it'll be easily available to view - if anyone is that keen unsure.gif - once the linking problems are resolved.

The original plan...
post-6883-12639838736475_thumb.jpg
...which resulted in...
post-6883-12639839655957_thumb.jpg
...which was then modified to...
post-6883-12639840287214_thumb.jpg
...and led to this temporary setup...
post-6883-12639840861086_thumb.jpg
...and although this has required some modification to one of the existing boards, and will mean an additional linking board (middle left in third image) and a new scenic board (top left in third image) this is the present stage in the development.
Since my last post on RMweb3 the back problems I've previously mentioned have worsened to the point where no further progress has been possible, but I'm confident I'll be able to return to the project before too long biggrin.gif
Finally for now I've found a building that looks very suitable to face the hotel and include one of my very rough visualisations here
post-6883-12639848246386_thumb.jpg

As ever, any constructive suggestions or advice will be welcome cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

A couple of quick shots relating to Rovex's Brackhampton Snow Hill blog, the photo's are of the 'down' side and show the space available - just - for modern vehicles.

post-6883-126770606969_thumb.jpg

post-6883-126770608494_thumb.jpg

The taxis parked up by the platform building location and the truck backed onto the Royal Mail transhipment area located in the lower level of the hotel building.

I've modified the track layout from the original, which consisted of bays fed through wagon turntables, to allow for more recent-ish tpo operations.

Regards, Gerry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've put together another one of my rough mock-ups, this time of the 'up' platform building

post-6883-12695268135_thumb.jpg

The truck is heading for the hotel delivery bay, the cars on the left are parked in what will be dedicated disabled parking spaces, and the taxi rank can be seen to the right.

The space available is a lot more constricted than on the 'down' side as the site tapers towards the hotel, but still workable for modern vehiclescool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Further to my comment on the Tomytec thread, I've roughed out an initial layout for the multi-storey car park I mentioned:

post-6883-127161233933_thumb.jpg

It's intended as a view block, disguising the tight curves that will now connect the two station boards to the new industrial section on the revised layout plan, and fits in place of the brewery lorry loading area that was in plan A. It will also need to be removable so I can access the curves in case of derailments.

Based on the Brunel Street (wink.gif ) one, close by to New Street Signal Box in Brum, I drew over the Google Earth image using the bays to size it, it is only a first draft and there will be revisions - I'll have to work out if I can fit in at least one of the other higher level entrances, and whether I want anything like 431 spaces to fill - depending on if I go for the full six levels (the second and third drawn being duplicated) or just the four.

I have some ideas for the mesh screens that are a feature of the exterior, and those 'hanging gardens' (the mid and dark green segments in my sketch) will add some additional natural greenery to my heavily urbanised landscape.

I'm pleased to report I've managed to do some work on the baseboards recently, so hopefully this will be the last of the 'virtual' reports and next time there will be some actual progress on the layout to showcool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

Hello Gerry,

no helpful comments to make I'm afraid - but just to say I'm glad to see your layout continues.

Your postings on the previous RMWeb caught my eye as urban/architectural/multilevel/panoramic settings are one of my favourite combinations :)

Mark

Hi Gerry

What an excellent setup for a Layout...

This looks like its going to be one of those that will top most other layouts on the RMWeb or at least in the top 10...

Loving the drawing that you have uploaded of some of the layout and what it should look like when finished...

Love the Station Building as and when it is complete...

What is the Size of the Layout...? andf is it "N" or "OO" Gauge Dude...

Keep up the hard work...! and the update on photos...

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

Thanks, but it's not even a real layout yet, I'll only consider it that when there's track laid and trains moving under power - although I hope that will be soon now. I don't consider it a patch on the many true quality efforts on here, but it'll be good fun to play trains with when it's done - that's all I really hope of it.

So, this N gauge layout in it's original form was going to be 15 feet by 31 inches in total (sorry about the Imperial measurements there*, but my brain was hardwired nearly half a century ago and although I understand and even use metric, for quick reference I always default...) Anyhow, the extended layout now takes up an area of 10 feet 6 inches by 6 feet 10 inches with a central operating area I just about squeeze into.

"keep it hoopy, frood"cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

*Did anyone notice on a recent Swedish Wallander, when someone said something modern to him he said (on the subtitling) "What's that in plain Swedish" - unreal!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

With some limited improvement in mobility and pain management I've tentatively re-started some work on the layout. I've been persuaded that a move to accommodation with support more readily available is a better bet for me so I'm also limiting myself for now to jobs that will not, I hope, be affected by the new location and the form the layout will take to fit in there. I hope to continue with Plan B, but I expect that if the space is limited then reverting to the original concept will be the only compromise.

I have been adapting the Bilt-eezi sheets to produce the revised version of the LSWR Goods/Parcels office, it is a pretty comprehensive rework involving an extra floor, loading bays moved around and on two levels and a completely new side – the original only has three sides to the building.

This first shot shows the resulting four paper walls glued to the existing thin ply bases.

post-6883-128362668836.jpg

The windows and doors will be worked-up to be printed on OHP sheet, as were those on the GWR side of the parcels area – inspired by this (photographer has his back to what will be my LSWR office), and although I can't print white frames I've read that although the LSWR and Southern schemes called for white glazing bars there were examples where they were polished wood – it may seen a bit excessive fussing about these niceties on this type of layout, I do wonder about that sometimes myself. I also intend to include a little interior detail and lighting before completion.

For other buildings there are of course etched frames from a variety of sources – I already have the Scale Link ones for the platform buildings - and I could probably have substituted some to make things easier here, but I'll be happy enough to follow the present plan in this case.

post-6883-128362707086.jpg post-6883-128362713078.jpg

post-6883-128362757198.jpg post-6883-128362725338.jpg

I've also done a little work on the walls that will face onto the dual-carriageway that is Solsbury Hill, a lot more to be done there. Inspired again by Snow Hill of course - ignore anything above the brickwork. There will be some small shops, some of which will be named after long gone favourites such as Hornton's model shop and the Andromeda sci-fi bookshop (I spent all the money I could in those treasure-houses, it clearly wasn't enough).

Not knowing the outcome of the relocation yet is somewhat disconcerting, but I'm sure I'll be able to wedge the layout in in one form or the other.

More to follow as and when, and as usual any advice or suggestions will be welcome cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

I like the 'multi-level'/half-underground aspect of this building. For me there's some great angles and views going on there.

I just took a quick look back at your previous work on the parcels office: I find it quite exciting to imagine that one day this will be sort of 'lost' amongst many such buildings in an urban landscape and the viewer will just chance across the detail semi-concealed underground (if that makes sense) :) Are you planing to light it btw?

I'm sorry to hear your injury continues to give you problems. I hope the move brings improvements and plenty of space for your layout.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi again Mark, and thanks for the kind words.

I have some LED strips to hand for the lighting. I hope I can get the level right in the parcels area so it will retain sufficient gloom to show the lighting off.

Most of my layout buildings should have interior lighting as most public buildings seem to even on the brightest of days. The exceptions may be the most modern as the reflective nature of the windows tends to defeat the interior lights.

For the time being at least I'm not planning to include either street or passenger coach lights, there are a number of layouts that look superb in that respect but my attention is always drawn to the road vehicles that aren't lit and that would detract too much for me on a layout I'll be living with - I think there will probably be far too many vehicles on the layout to deal with in that way even if I have to revert to the smaller 'Plan A', and if I have the space to continue with 'Plan B'...

As you say the LSWR office should be one of the less conspicuous buildings, but I think I remember a comment in the Vaughan book on GWR buildings that the real thing acted as a pleasing full stop to that site, so my Gerry-built version may draw a bit more attention to itself than might at first seem to be the casecool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I'm delighted to report that the search for a new home for the layout has been successful, and there's even room for me as well!

After evaluating what was available and the resulting reconfiguration of the layout design, I'll be signing up at the end of this week and all being well I should be settled in by mid-November at the latest.

Initially a slightly shortened version of Plan A is being adopted, this will see the two station baseboards remain as they are and the third, brewery board will be reduced in length to fit the new location. I've worked out a solution that compresses the trackwork to fit the smaller space while retaining the essentials from the original design.

post-6883-069242400 1286218769_thumb.jpg

I mocked up the revised board with cereal box card, wanting to be certain all would look well before committing to the new home. The Scalescenes warehouse and the kitbashed Kestrel Designs fire station will be very recognisable, the pub – based on The Bartons Arms in Aston - and the freelance brewery will be scratchbuilt, again a mixture of old and new structures which will all sit in front of a photographed Brum panoramic backcscene. In this form the layout can be set up pretty much on a permanent basis.

Rather than probably overreaching myself with an immediate extension of the plan into the extra available space that would have been unavoidable with Plan B where I now live, I intend to complete (well, near enough anyhow :rolleyes: ) Phase 1 before commencing what will now be a much more extensive development in Phase 2, already forming in my mind - more urban modelling, yay B)

Regards, Gerry.

Hello Gerry,

very glad to hear you've found a space for your layout - and even better news that it has enough room to accommodate you too! I hope you'll both be very happy there.

I know people are probably bored of me saying this, but I do love models set in urban landscapes, and judging by work to-date yours looks set to be a fine example. I'm really looking forward to seeing this evolve.

Please do keep the updates coming once you've settled in as I for one am a keen follower.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again and thanks for the kind words, very encouraging :)

very glad to hear you've found a space for your layout - and even better news that it has enough room to accommodate you too! I hope you'll both be very happy there.

I've had my moving date confirmed as the 15th November and have been packing (so much stuff...) including my Osborn's B Set twin packs just arrived and a soon to arrive green 3MT (post in 'Products'), so by the following - Warley NEC - weekend I hope to be in a fit enough state, the main factor here is more related to the Friday physio session which usually takes me a couple of days to recover from :rolleyes:

A 'day off' today from packing/form filling/chasing up "we'll get that arranged for you" undertakings that didn't materialise...

post-6883-040748400 1288345924_thumb.jpg

A quick play in 'Paint' and 'Photoshop' produced this revised-revised brewery layout.

In the previous post the open nature of the revision allowed for a number of the tanks which were intended, and I had space for on the original plan. However, looking at that image afresh I feel dispensing with the road bridge highlights the too contrived exit of the running lines from the layout and I've reinstated that overbridge and associated higher ground opposite the pub in this version - any thoughts... :unsure:

There will still be room for some tanks, and I have a shot of some I can use as part of the backscene for that end of the layout which I think will work well B)

Regards, Gerry.

Good luck with the move Gerry.

I think the bridge is a good move - it draws the areas each side of the railway line together into one overall scene (in which the railway becomes more incidental than it was before). Also, the junction it forms with the roads on the far side becomes an additional focal point.

I tell you one thing though - even as a mock-up, it really comes to life with all those vehicles added.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Interesting layout of the brewery there. Good use of paint and photoshop to create it.

With my somewhat crude and repeated attempts with the software your comment is quite generous ;) , as I mentioned on the RMweb3 thread although I can draw pretty accurate plans my poor little brain struggles to visualise them in 3D, and being able to work through options without having to redraw everything has obvious advantages. Also, with the enforced delays 'virtual' modelling helps maintain the enthusiasm for this that otherwise would surely have vanished by now :D

Good luck with the move Gerry.

I think the bridge is a good move - it draws the areas each side of the railway line together into one overall scene (in which the railway becomes more incidental than it was before). Also, the junction it forms with the roads on the far side becomes an additional focal point.

I tell you one thing though - even as a mock-up, it really comes to life with all those vehicles added.

Thanks for that although, as I often comment, if I need luck...

I lose 27" - for now - over Plan A and although it doesn't really hurt the trackplan something from the original had to give, I first felt the tanks were the priority since it's meant to represent a brewery, but as you say tying both sides of the lines into one works in the ways you mention and makes the exit of the running lines seem less contrived - in my mind anyhow, and I'll be happy with the tank solution as in my last post.

When the Bartons was my local it not only boasted CAMRA credentials, but excellent Thai cuisine and the famed tiled decor - I shall be better placed to revisit in my new location so I anticipate I'll discover soon enough if they've maintained that standard - so I'm not surprised the car park is rather full, a few people in the final scene will help also B)

Regards, Gerry.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Progress, of sorts, to report. Last November's move to here has proven to be quite the nightmare so most boxes went unpacked and the layout untouched, but I picked up the keys to our (SH and I) new home yesterday, although it'll be sometime around the 26th before we move in there is now cause for renewed enthusiasm. The least said about this last year the better, I think.

The new location offers a permanent layout room with space to comfortably revert to the full 'Plan A', there will be slight revision at one end to allow for the extension envisiged for 'Phase 2', the plan for that can evolve while I work at last on getting the basic layout up and running B)

Regards, Gerry.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Another move completed with the baseboards completely intact!

Now that the dust is starting to settle I find for practical reasons the third (brewery) board wil have to lose 5" from it's length, so we'll see if my luck holds as I once again bring my rather dubious woodworking skills to bear on it this week.

The photo's below show the areas to be removed and the new alignments...

post-6883-0-34246000-1319524383.jpg

post-6883-0-95676600-1319524418.jpg

...with a bit more imagineering thrown in. The Icicle Works is back to it's full extent, as originally intended in the first layout design. It does mean I lose the fire/ambulance stations for now but there's always the prospect of that as part of 'Phase 2'. The older structure along the left in this view, along with the pub on the higher level, being more of a 'balance' to the modern shed types on the right.

Assuming the hacking goes well then after a bit of general tidying up I think there's every chance of some track being down by the time Santa is due B)

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I was thinking - I seem to have lost track of how the 'overview' must be looking now and wondered whether there's any chance of some pictures of the layout as a whole at some point?

This any help?

post-6883-0-25518300-1319620190.jpg

The green lines are the notionally 'Up' lines (useful if only so I can be consistent in where the first class coaches should go!) anticlockwise...

I think the simplest solution to allow for any next 'Phase' is this one, I retain the roundy-roundy aspect for just watching the trains go by - when I'm shunting the brewery and sipping the odd Riddle's product - I'll add some sort of storage cassette to the lines running off the edge of the world until whenever the Greater Plan sees the light of day :O

Back to the hacking then, there's that bottom section to remove and also reinstating some groundwork where the realignment has moved the track to the right a bit B)

Regards, Gerry.

Archived