traction

• RMweb Gold

These have just turned up from Japan!

Very nice indeed:-

post-6745-12605565392298_thumb.jpg

post-6745-1260556565225_thumb.jpg

post-6745-12605565874177_thumb.jpg

post-6745-12605566067099_thumb.jpg

Last two pics are the same, couldn't get the White balance right on the camera, it is a Yellow car!!

Each individual box contains two cars.

We have a Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz and Mazda 121.

At least someone does modern day GOOD quality cars!

Guest 009matt

Last two pics are the same, couldn't get the White balance right on the camera, it is a Yellow car!!

do you mean the green one? :lol:

Yep, Tomytec are the best quality N gauge cars. I'm impressed that you've gone for a whole carton of them. And since that collection they have produced a few more;

Car collection #7 (Crew busses); Honda TN-7, Subaru Sambar, Nissan Caravan and Mazda Bongo van

Car collection #8 (MPCs); Honda Shuttle, Toyota Previa Mk2, Nissan Elgrand, Toyota Alphard

Here's a pic of some of those;

post-33-12610794275398_thumb.jpg

G.

Car collection #7 (Crew busses); Honda TN-7, Subaru Sambar, Nissan Caravan and Mazda Bongo van

Ah bless, the Impreza's baby brother laugh.gif

Now if they did some cars like that, then we'd be talking. I can but hope one of the future collections will feature something like that

cheers

jo

Ah bless, the Impreza's baby brother laugh.gif

Now if they did some cars like that, then we'd be talking. I can but hope one of the future collections will feature something like that

The collections I mentioned (#7 & #8), featuring those vehicles, are already available.

I'm wondering when and what the next car collection will be.

G.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Have any of you tried Busch models?

I know some are happy enough to mix scales, and others use the smaller scale as a perspective device - I personally wouldn't be happy with the former, and my layout design isn't conducive to employ them for the latter to any great extent.

Here's the next Tomytec car collection No.10

Two late '60s and two current/recent models, apparently Nissan Gloria, Nissan Cedric, Nissan tei;ana (sic) and Toyota Crown, though I'm not sure which is which yet! Bigger picture here

Thanks for the links, I think numbers-wise I am near the sort of quantities of most vehicles I think I'll be needing for the layout - the exception mainly being with truly modern busses which seem abundent in the 4mm world but still not addressed for us 2mm-ers, but even some of the Tomytec cars I have are really out of era so those will be replaced as and when more modern models appear.

post-6883-127070895684_thumb.jpg

Most of the above are from Tomytec, with some Bandai and now a Fujimoto Hobby item. The KMB bus is a one-off for my collection and the Chinese generic cars will be employed in out of the way places such as a multi-storey car park and the lower deck of NGS Cartic-4 kits. In a similar fashion the two Busch Merc. vans (DHL and FedEx) will be tucked away in the underground parcels depot where their undersize nature won't be obvious - and I couldn't resist the little Wiking excavator. Finally there are the Intertrans trucks and the Oxford FX4's.

I started my vehicle collection for the layout back in '05 with what was obtainable from the afore-mentioned Intertrans 148 truck range, but apart from mostly poorly proportioned white-metal or resin models it was looking a bit grim as far as the availability of suitable modern vehicles and 1:160 scale ones were an option I was reluctant to pursue. The fortuitous advent of Tomytec in particular has been a huge improvement.

I think with globalisation of markets driving real-world designers down quite similar styling paths we not only see many of the Japanese cars on our roads, we also see body styling trends along the lines of the European car makers.

I would still love to see modern equivalents of European cars and trucks from Bachmann or Oxford or whoever in 1:150/1:148 - and I will need a goodly number of those busses, but if there has to be a compromise I believe this is the nearest available to meeting my needscool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

Here's the next Tomytec car collection No.10Two late '60s and two current/recent models, apparently Nissan Gloria, Nissan Cedric, Nissan tei;ana (sic) and Toyota Crown, though I'm not sure which is which yet! Bigger picture here

Hmm, interesting but is it a bit of a swizz? They did a Gloria Super 6 in their car collection #1, a Cedric in collections #1 & #2 and a Toyota Crown (deluxe and estate version) in collection #4. Are these later/different marks/versions?

G.

The KMB bus is a one-off for my collection

There are several buses in that KMB collection that can be shortened from three axles to two for UK use, covering common 'deckers like the Alexander ALX and Wright Gemini. There is also a Plaxton Poniter 2 Dart single decker.

I know some are happy enough to mix scales, and others use the smaller scale as a perspective device - I personally wouldn't be happy with the former, and my layout design isn't conducive to employ them for the latter to any great extent.

Yep, the problem with continental 1:160 scale cars is that many can look far too tiddly next to British 1:148 N gauge scale.

Thanks for the links, I think numbers-wise I am near the sort of quantities of most vehicles I think I'll be needing for the layout - the exception mainly being with truly modern busses which seem abundent in the 4mm world but still not addressed for us 2mm-ers,

Suitable busses are slowly being addressed for N gaugers with the range due soon from Farish/Scenecraft (Nationals and Atlanteans for the more modern era), some suitable ones from Hong Kong Cars Workshop (Fleetlines, Plaxton Pointers, etc) and the growing Oxford Die Cast range.

And that's a very impressive, and presumably expensive, collection of vehicles pictured there.

G.

• RMweb Gold

If anybody wants to mix and match with any of their own TomyTec vehicles feel free to ask.

Thats one reason why I bought the full box.

They come in smaller boxes in packs of two, so I will need to open them to see which cars are actually in there and the colours.

So offer is there if anybody wants to have a bit of a mix and match.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

There are several buses in that KMB collection that can be shortened from three axles to two for UK use, covering common 'deckers like the Alexander ALX and Wright Gemini. There is also a Plaxton Poniter 2 Dart single decker.

This is the most likely way I'd look at it at present, if I could summon up the nerve to mutilate such nice models, but I'm not exactly in a rush at present so I'll adopt a wait and see position for now.

Suitable busses are slowly being addressed for N gaugers with the range due soon from Farish/Scenecraft (Nationals and Atlanteans for the more modern era)...

And that's a very impressive, and presumably expensive, collection of vehicles pictured there.

As I've mentioned before, I might get away with a very few of those with a secondary operator, but it's a modern thriving place and they just wouldn't do for the main service companylaugh.gif

As with most hobbies, if one sat down and worked out in advance the true likely cost...wink.gif Now I have roughly the right numbers it'll be more about fine-tuning as newer models become available - but yes, if I were to need to replace all that in one go...cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

if I could summon up the nerve to mutilate such nice models,

You don't need much nerve or effort to change/enhance/mutilate these nice Japanese vehicles. I've had a bash at few in an effort mainly to anglicize them;

post-33-127084879865_thumb.jpg

This Tomytec Nissan shell tanker was converted from an odd axle arrangement to a more 'normal' 1+2 configuration.

post-33-127084934316_thumb.jpg

The above Hino lorry was converted in to a heavy haul low loader with scratch built trailer.

post-33-127084958173_thumb.jpg

And this car breakdown recovery lorry was converted from a dump truck.

G.

;

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Are these exspensive to buy compaired to the continental versions.

I would love to get hold of the honda jazz set if they have a yellow side.

Try Osborn's or ebay for prices although there are other suppliers, I've bought the boxed volumes as seen above to try and keep the unit cost as low as possible, but they're also sold in pairs although you'll have to trust to luck what you'll get from the full set.

You don't need much nerve or effort to change/enhance/mutilate these nice Japanese vehicles. I've had a bash at few in an effort mainly to anglicize them;

This Tomytec Nissan shell tanker was converted from an odd axle arrangement to a more 'normal' 1+2 configuration.

The above Hino lorry was converted in to a heavy haul low loader with scratch built trailer.

And this car breakdown recovery lorry was converted from a dump truck.

Those superb conversions of yours have been inspirational, I was sent a tanker as a bonus by one supplier and seeing your work on that and the need to change the the axle layout put it very much on my 'to do' list, and I sought out the dump truck intending to emulate that also. It's those lovely busses I'm concerned about, I'm hoping by the time I need 'em I won't have to...cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

Sadly they have been out of production for some time, however you may come across them second-hand, check out stands at shows, or have a look on ebay...

Thank you. :)

By the way, Grahame,I believe you had bought a white Tomytec bongo van recently (I saw it on one of your threads or something). Where did you get that. I looked on Osborns website, but it doesn't seem to be on any the car collections there.

Edit; I've found it.

Im going to attempt to anglicise it, its my first attempt at anything like this so i will have to see what i can do!

I just need to decide on what colours to do, any ideas anyone?

Those Hino cabs are quite common these days. The only difference (visually) to those sold in the UK is that the kerb-view window should be painted over. here they just have a recessed panel, see http://www.hino-trucks.co.uk/gallery700.htm

Archived