Reworking Locos From FineScaleBrass/San Cheng Models

Guest Isambarduk

Guest Isambarduk

5663Jervis.jpg

It seems that, although I wrote up the reworking of my Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-ST into 'Humber' of the GCR at Immingham Docks (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69095-idea-conversion-of-ixion-hudswell-clarke/?p=1001446 rather spread out, but see below), I did not write up here an account of a similar exercise in reworking a FineScaleBrass 8F, particularly in improving the rods and motion.  I was certain that I had, although I must have dreamt it, but I did not discover this until I came to post about the reworking of a LMS Black Five and a Jubilee from the same stable.

5018.jpg

Having started a thread, I shall be able to write any up future rebuilds here but for anybody who might be interested in how I went about it I did write up the work on my website in captioned pictures.  So, reworking RTR FineScaleBrass models:

8105b-s.jpg

I also wrote up the reworking of my Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-ST in a single page:

GCR278-Humber-RHS.jpg

I hope that these illustrated descriptions encourage others to 'have a go' and/or to ask me questions; I shall be very happy to help,

David

David

I have read most of your "how I..." posts with respect and admiration. 

My King (now more or less recovered from its leap into space) now requires some machining - I am summoning the courage and patience to turn a tufnol ring from which to cut the brake shoes.  (the patience is largely to remove all the nonsense that prevents me from accessing the big lathe when I want to, largely to do with tennis and golf stuff being stored in the way.  The courage is to put up with making at least one failed attempt before making one that's good enough...)

Please continue to inspire those of us who need the encouragement!

best

Simon

Guest Isambarduk

Simon, Osgood, Thank you very much indeed for your positive feedback!  My main objective has been achieved, and satisfaction gained, if I have encouraged you to tackle similar projects - and I am highly flattered that you should have printed off my essay on the 8F; it makes all the effort expended to produce it seem so worthwhile.

" I am summoning the courage ... to turn a tufnol ring from which to cut the brake shoes ... to put up with making at least one failed attempt before making one that's good enough..."
Yes, I know that feeling well.  I think the trick is to persuade yourself that the first attempt is a 'proof of concept' exercise and that, after the learning, you are ready to go for the 'production' exercise (and there is always the chance that the first attempt is spot on :-)

"... the patience is largely to remove all the nonsense that prevents me from accessing the big lathe when I want to, largely to do with tennis and golf stuff being stored in the way."

You should worry?  My workshop is still packed in boxes from our recent move and I greatly miss it :-(  Yesterday and today, my good wife and I made a start on reassembling the benches, trial placing of them and the chests of draws and bookshelves in the new workshop and pondering on where best on the wall to attach the shelves.  Things take time but we'll get there.

David

• 3 months later...
Guest Isambarduk

Thank you, CME!  If I have inspired somebody else to do something similar, then that is reward enough in itself. 

Yes, do make friends with your lathe, you'll certainly not regret it!  I have my lathe and milling machine back in operation (so I feel much better :-) and I know where everything is now ... if I can't see it on the bench or shelf, it's definitely in a box somewhere!  I spent the afternoon sorting out some lights on a additional bench; it is our former dining room table - a four-poster! (no, really) - I often used it to work on clocks and block instruments so now it is dedicated to that role and we are 'shopping' for a more suitable dining room table to suit our 'new' rather old house.   David

Thank you, CME!  If I have inspired somebody else to do something similar, then that is reward enough in itself. 

Yes, do make friends with your lathe, you'll certainly not regret it!  I have my lathe and milling machine back in operation (so I feel much better :-) and I know where everything is now ... if I can't see it on the bench or shelf, it's definitely in a box somewhere!  I spent the afternoon sorting out some lights on a additional bench; it is our former dining room table - a four-poster! (no, really) - I often used it to work on clocks and block instruments so now it is dedicated to that role and we are 'shopping' for a more suitable dining room table to suit our 'new' rather old house.   David

Room and Space is always a problem for me, everyone I guess, another room would be great (I await the lottery win) but when the layout is up and substantially complete there will be more room for the niceties.

Its nice to finally twig your avatar, name and models and tie them all in with each other - sorry I was so slow on the uptake LOL!

Kindest regards,

CME

• 1 year later...
Guest Isambarduk

Thank you for all your continuing encouraging words! 

Actually, although I said in this thread last August "Having started a thread, I shall be able to write any up future rebuilds here ..." I realise now that I started a new thread in April this year on 'Reworking a San Cheng / Tower GWR 1361 0-6-0ST' (www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110275-reworking-a-san-cheng-tower-gwr-1361-0-6-0st) so there's a bit more reading there along similar lines if anybody's interested who's not already seen it.

In fact, I have finished reworking this 1361 class loco now, it just needs painting and reassembling, and I shall finish the write-up when my new camera arrives so I may take some decent images to illustrate it.  My 'old faithful' Canon PowerShot A480 seems to have taken a dislike to taking close-ups with a reasonable depth of field, so it will be put on outside duties only, at which it seems quite content.

David

GWR1361SmokeboxNewFront.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived