15098 Simplex Shunter

Hello,

Please excuse any errors as I am new to using RMWEB as a Member .....

I have an OO gauge Impetus kit of the Simplex Petrol Shunter.

I am hoping to model 15098  as I already have sister loco 15099 built.

Any information, photos, tips, help would be really appreciated.

First question, is it possible to build 15098 from the kit ?

Many thanks, Staffordshire

Metr0land, thanks for the photo, that is one I had not seen

Michael (Edge),   to me it appears the roof for 15098 is placed on at 90 degrees to the roof on 15099 eg ....   flat edges at front and back rather than at the sides.

I know this appeared to be the case for the GWR locos 23-27    

More help and details would be appreciated/

Ian 

Fundamentally, the Impetus kit should be fine - the basic loco is the same - but the cab is different. Mike's model is from the GW version of the kit and this has the cab Swindon added to the basic design.

If you want an accurate model, you'll have to build your own cab which doesn't look hugely complicated. I'd want a couple more photos to work from but the basic structure isn't difficult.

Adam

• 8 months later...

I think there is a drawing of the generic type in the Simplex Works List (a list of all the Simplex locos built, and rather like a telephone directory with the interesting bits taken out) published by Dennis Duck Pbns. I will check.

K

Is there a published line drawing for this prototype? We had a few of these in Australia and I'd like to have a crack at one in 7mm scale.

Hey Marty do a bit of Goggling there is still one up near Byron Bay if you contact Trevor H he may have some photos he took a few years ago when he and Bruce W visited the locals know it as the Green Frog.

Links

http://www.verandahmagazine.com.au/the-little-engine-that-still-could/

http://tdu.to/a8426/Simplex_%26_C37_Byron_Bay_4-11-1961.jpg

Guest royal signals

Hello, I'm  brand new to the forum,  i've just observed in the past ,  but this subject hit a nerve. I live in Hartlepool, the third Z6/Y11 BR no 15097 was stabled at the Greenland Road creosote 

works, West Hartlepool (as was). Does anyone have any photographs or details of this loco, and are the Impetus kits are back in production

• 4 weeks later...

Having built one a good few years ago and sold on, I would look at using a High Level four wheel drive gear box rather than the two wheel drive recommended. You will get more pulling power.

Gordon A

I'll second that - works beautifully and is way ahead of the gubbins that comes with the Impetus kit! Edited by EHertsGER

• 1 year later...

Just found this thead. Was looking at doing my own drawing as there are quite a few good side on and head on photos. Had seen smaller version in the Moseley Trust book, but was also interested in the larger version. Had not realised both were used on standard gauge, as the original specification suggested only up to 3ft 6in gauge.

• Like 1