Railway Modeller "Plan of the Month"

John B

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I'm not the only one of a "certain age" on here who remembers the "Plan of the Month" feature in Railway Modeller. Possibly they still have it?

In any case, I was wondering if anyone remembered, or could point me to the back numbers for, a couple of plans which are nagging away at me as something I'd like to model one day, or use bits of as layout design elements.

The first - 1980s, sometime - was a "modern image" representation of the North Woolwich branch, prior to the area being transformed by Docklands and it's Light Railway.

The second - may be trickier, but I'll try to describe it. Late 80s, early 90s. 5 plans of one subject - a branch line and junction station at various stages of it's lifespan, from full facilities, to Beeching pruned, to SLT with bus shelter, to Preservation Scheme, to "Light Rail / Tram" service.

Any ideas, and pointers to back issues, would be gratefully received!

• RMweb Premium

The second - may be trickier, but I'll try to describe it. Late 80s, early 90s. 5 plans of one subject - a branch line and junction station at various stages of it's lifespan, from full facilities, to Beeching pruned, to SLT with bus shelter, to Preservation Scheme, to "Light Rail / Tram" service.

Any ideas, and pointers to back issues, would be gratefully received!

2nd article isn't within the 'early 1990s'. So it must be earlier, which may help to limit any searches. May 1996 shows a potential layout based on the Docklands Railway, but no historical information.

Certainly Plan of the Month, is still a regular feature.

Thanks for that!

No problem, I remembered the article straight away as I like urban shunting layouts.

There are a few photos of the area in the 1970s and 1980s the time which interests me most, here are some from Flickr for added inspiration!

A DMU in Silvertown station in 1971

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/5149219665/in/photolist-8biGUB-8biGSg-8bmEPA-8bio1c-8bio72-8binYT-8bio8t-8Whg9H-8WhfTK-8R26Bp-auFjn4-8Y8BYT-u5qab-AkMBv-buUYcB-8iBzPr-xHhWEK-8bio3a-8bioag-8biobR-8bmEWh-2JRttz-auY1Q1-tUM7u-Akusa-u5p5f-x4194J-csZnjd-puy2c-7j2xaA-xZZuN2-xVXPro-AkMtr-9CnGDd-tUM6V-Akufy-8iBzEc-cpU8Vm-5Z2FY1-8gUMWE-puy2d-9VC2u4-dQpgps-puy2f-8gRvCZ-9CD1QA-uQdfV-frNsAv-nPefXw-dy3ehW

An EMU at Silvertown in 1985 after electrification

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/5229707975/in/photolist-8biGUB-8biGSg-8bmEPA-8bio1c-8bio72-8binYT-8bio8t-8Whg9H-8WhfTK-8R26Bp-auFjn4-8Y8BYT-u5qab-AkMBv-buUYcB-8iBzPr-xHhWEK-8bio3a-8bioag-8biobR-8bmEWh-2JRttz-auY1Q1-tUM7u-Akusa-u5p5f-x4194J-csZnjd-puy2c-7j2xaA-xZZuN2-xVXPro-AkMtr-9CnGDd-tUM6V-Akufy-8iBzEc-cpU8Vm-5Z2FY1-8gUMWE-puy2d-9VC2u4-dQpgps-puy2f-8gRvCZ-9CD1QA-uQdfV-frNsAv-nPefXw-dy3ehW

08527 passing Stratford with empty 16t minerals for Silvertown in 1982

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/4793819955/in/photolist-auY1Q1-xZZuN2-x4194J-buUYcB-8iBzEc

Private owned shunter shunting scrap in POAs at Silvertown in 1989

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/6235001856/in/photolist-auY1Q1-xZZuN2-x4194J-buUYcB-8iBzEc 

DMU at Custom House in 1971

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmightycat/5662891036/in/photolist-9CpNdm

DMU at North Woolwich in 1977, which also shows the turntable pit at the stop block end of the platforms, an arrangement I was not previously aware of,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91534044@N04/8672176976/in/photolist-edkb5G-auGhzL-8R27r4-5XEZQv-auD2UB-auEoCd-9Rp6mN-bGJZFk-2JRtop-bCcGEY-o19za-8R26Bp-otueAk-sY26WB-acZwXT-2JRtck-pZS8rn-cjc1zu-ag3HhR-eyDUZv-8ZpTaG-4Yaaz4-7keFfZ-5FcFT3-8VhaGk-fHejcA-xVXPro-dutcuK-qwoWpB-2JRttz-5P9fBD-65sXka-u4xTeN-aQRzJx-xZFW2b-a3GN5X-ya6fzn-oYLBd-JzaiY-95tC7q-e11oMn-9RvJLD-y2mae1-fxvjhY-8wpb4N-fHertm-7xaEJ4-fGWRDP-dEfzyD-b184st

The scrap traffic from T W Ward at Silvertown originally went out in 16t minerals, the traffic lasted into the Speedlink era when the scrap went in POAs to Sheffield.

After the North Woolwich branch was electrified in 1985 the passenger service increased and class 08s were no longer used on the Silvertown trip as they were too slow to be pathed

between pssenger services, main line locos being used instead.

cheers 

It is, but fits the description to a certain extent. it's also one of my favourites, I'd have liked to have built it myself.

Sadly, it's for N and I'd moved past N by the early 80's, not being able to get on with the steamroller wheels and lack of UK prototypes that were around then.

Better now, but too late for me.

I remember the "Silvertown" plan of the month. Right up my street. One of those "why did I ever throw the old RMs away?" moments. Might have a look on ebay for that issue.

The second reminds me very much of a plan that was in Your Model Railway (one of the iterations of Model Railways) in 1985-1986. If it is the one I'm thinking of, I'm almost certain Peter Kazmierczak was the author. 

• RMweb Gold

The second one was definitely the Modeller, and definitely late 80s / early 90s.. 5 plans in one - the same station(s) at different stages in it's life.

Thanks to all for their suggestions so far!

The second one was definitely the Modeller, and definitely late 80s / early 90s.. 5 plans in one - the same station(s) at different stages in it's life.

Thanks to all for their suggestions so far!

Is it "Ambridge and Akenfield", which according to the NMRA Magazine Index (sorry, I can't post the link due to chronic ineptness) was the RM Plan of the Month in  issue 413, March 1985.

I rermember the article - the author suggested starting as a basic railway running only to Ambridge and then working backwards in era until you had a double-track through station at Ambridge and a branch to Akenfield. I was always intrigued by the idea...

Hopefully helping - E

• RMweb Premium

Is it "Ambridge and Akenfield", which according to the NMRA Magazine Index (sorry, I can't post the link due to chronic ineptness) was the RM Plan of the Month in  issue 413, March 1985.

I rermember the article - the author suggested starting as a basic railway running only to Ambridge and then working backwards in era until you had a double-track through station at Ambridge and a branch to Akenfield. I was always intrigued by the idea...

Hopefully helping - E

Good hunting I suspect. Of course, I only went back to 1986 looking for it!

Interestingly there are two layouts described within this issue, which could also be built piecemeal in similar fashion.

First is a Junior Modeller layout of Highley, which is shown as a separate preserved railway, alongside an unconnected double track station, with lifted track between them.

Secondly is a 'first layout', consisting of a double track oval with a single track branching off, with a goods yard and a terminus. Obviously this could be shown over a number of generations, like Ambridge & Akenfield. So an interesting issue, layout planning wise.

Since I mentioned Junior/Student Modeller, has anyone here on RMWeb had a layout featured in the Junior/Student Modeller section & is still here creating quality models?

• 1 year later...

We are in the process of drawing up plans of the North Woolwich Station track layout from the late 1950's,

and it will (we hope) in future be displayed back at the old Station after it was revealed that it has been taken over by Create,

a group from Barbican. They have approached us for talks to see if we would like some space at the project when it has been completed.

Archived