Large Pitman 7 pole motor

hayfield

This large pitman motor arrived with several other items in a mixed lot, think its for a 0 or larger gauge loco

post-1131-0-58020700-1448746260.jpg

As you can see the body of the motor about 57 mm long, 24 mm tall and 21 mm wide. The shaft is 3.16 mm diameter (1/8th") and has 12 volts on it. Pitman USA stamper on it

Any ideas please

Horestan

Thank you,  are they for 0 gauge as I think I would struggle to get this one in one of my Wills Flatirons which must have one of the biggest tank spaces in 4 mm scale. Looked at my Roxey Beattie Well Tank and perhaps would struggle to get it in that  And what about the shaft size for gears. I take it's a DC195s then

The DC195 will fit a big (in the sense of available space) 4mm model. It's about equivalent to the XO3/4. You could just about cram it into a 03/04 shunter, under the bonnet.

The shaft diameter is 2mm at least, and might even be 3/32" - I will check my samples.

The DC195 will fit a big (in the sense of available space) 4mm model. It's about equivalent to the XO3/4. You could just about cram it into a 03/04 shunter, under the bonnet.

The shaft diameter is 2mm at least, and might even be 3/32" - I will check my samples.

Horsetan

May not be a DC195, look at the photo

post-1131-0-53836900-1449011745.jpg

The Pitman has a body size (not including the shaft) of 59 mm x 24 mm x 20 mm

X04  41 mm x 17 mm x 12 mm

The magnet alone has about 6 times the mass, it is really big against the X04

Horsetan

Thanks for all the effort

It's been like a trip into the past.

As I understand it, Pittman motors came to prominence in the 1960s via the slot-car racing hobby, and weren't originally meant for model locomotives at all, but Pittman were very quick to realise the opportunity for expansion.

For 4mm scale, the DC195/DC195A seems to have been the smallest motor that they produced at the time, and was a bit more sophisticated than the XO3/4. The late Guy Williams used one in a scratchbuilt "King", and this endured until the RG4 came along.

Archived