Collieries in the Valleys

Some interesting pictures there, Giles.

I've recently been inspired by portrayals of Welsh lines in miniature, such as Cwm Bach, to learn a bit more about the Welsh mining and steel industry - mainly I suppose to put these layouts into perspective (they make me want to see beyond the edge of the baseboards) and realising I knew pretty much nothing about it all.  Resources like the one you posted above are invaluable in helping to get a feel for something most of us will never know or fully understand.

As part of this exercise I was looking at the collieries around Varteg and came across this 2013 report:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23028078

It makes for sobering reading - we seem to have failed spectacularly to replace the once mighty industries of coal and iron with anything of substance for those wanting to work.  Maybe the effect has been more pronounced than in other parts of the UK due to the relative isolation of the Welsh communities?  I mention it not for any political purpose but as an example of how many (most?) of us who were not there can so easily remain unaware of the social history surrounding such industries.

Two books in the Welsh Valleys series by Middleton Press - ABERTILLERY AND EBBW VALE LINES and MONMOUTHSHIRE EASTERN VALLEYS - show so dramatically, with photos and maps, just how widespread the web of industry in the valleys northwest and northeast of Newport once became, thanks in main to the railways.  I'd certainly recommend them.

Tony

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

This is site is a fountain of information - if ironworks are not your thing then go to the main page and check out Plymouth Collieries amongst others. Clicking on Merthyr Vale leads you to another link on the collieries here. Plenty of views of period housing all over too.

http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/dowlaismappage.htm

Edited by Osgood

Good Lord....... Somewhat..... Especially as my Dad was also given the Parish of Six Bells later on!

I see this is a photo from the late sixties, as the the slightly taller lad of the rear pair wearing cassock and cotter (Andrew Downey) became our Church Warden at St. Paul's

When we were there, we laid a 10 1/4" railway in the Vicarage garden (rail courtesy of the pit) but I think the next incumbent probably removed it, sadly!

So this is your neck of the woods as well then! Wonderful! There were some lovely people there......

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I left about twenty-five years ago, but I worked with Ralph Bowden (the priest in the photo) when he was at Trevethin. All very different to-day; you used to be able to walk along Pontymoile Viaduct from Pontypool to Griffithstown.

I never met Ralph Bowden, as he left Cwmtillery in '71 - but I do remember he was affectionately remembered within the Church- not always a given! Then Chris Gwilliam was Vicar for three years, followed by my father who did ten years (picking up Six Bells along the way) before moving to Cwmcarn for a few years before he retired.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this Giles and I do hope this forum develops as I really am hooked on The Valleys. They have everything going for them as a subject for a model railway. I took these photos just over a year ago at Newbridge in the Ebbw valley between Risca and Crumlin and although the heavy industry is all gone it is still possible to feel  the atmosphere if one tries hard enough. I intend to backdate these pictures and use them on the backscene for my Cwm Bach layout.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-18567700-1452195832_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-52647700-1452195834_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot really add anything instructive to this thread but my father and I Visited Rhymney in 1974 to visit the family my father was billeted with when he was evacuated during WW2.

Caught the train to Merthyr, bus to Dowlais Top and walked across the moors to Rhymney. Amazing thing was that the ironworks at Dowlais were still operating to my knowledge, I clearly remember the dirt and soot that covered the town.

In 1983 visited Cwm Coliery to see Maneleus but unfortunately was not operating that day.

As a truck driver I occasionally do trips to the various valleys and always look out for evidence of mining and the steel industries. Cwm has been cleared and is just flat waste ground now, with the obligatory winding wheel set in concrete.

Sometimes surprises occur. Driving from Crumlin to Pontypool on the A472 cresting a hill was confronted with the concrete water tank that was part of Hafodrynys Coliery. On another occasion delivering to a site in Garndiffaith on rounding a corner was confronted with the combined road/rail  tunnel that was at talywain landsale yard, now a car park for the country park. On another occasion was delivering to a primary school just up from the new Ebbw Vale station to discover it was being constructed on the site of the steelworks. The name of the school appropriately being Hotmills Primary School.

My most abiding memory was driving up the valley to Abercwmboi to try and clear my welsh 08s in 1983. At that time the Coking plant was in full operation spewing thick orange smoke and steam into the atmosphere.

Clean air? Give me pollution and atmospherics anyday!  

• Like 4

Cannot really add anything instructive to this thread but my father and I Visited Rhymney in 1974 to visit the family my father was billeted with when he was evacuated during WW2.

Caught the train to Merthyr, bus to Dowlais Top and walked across the moors to Rhymney. Amazing thing was that the ironworks at Dowlais were still operating to my knowledge, I clearly remember the dirt and soot that covered the town.

This would have been the BSC 'Ifor Works' which by the time of your visit received life expired or damaged ingot moulds from South Wales steelworks, broke them up by (i) dropping a large ball on them using a 'Butters' crane, or (ii)putting them in a pit, filling it with water and blowing the moulds apart with explosives. The pieces then melted down and recast into new moulds. It was common to see Iron Ore tipplers, 'ARM' armour plate wagons, plates and converted Lowmacs employed on traffic to and from Dowlais, which was served by a daily trip from Radyr (9C83 ?)

Driving from Crumlin to Pontypool on the A472 cresting a hill was confronted with the concrete water tank that was part of Hafodrynys Coliery

IIRC This may have been part of the settling tank system or 'thickener' which allowed the 'cack' (from the Welsh for s**t !)washed off the coal to settle and the water could be run off. I found washeries and coal preparation plants to be the filthiest places imaginable..................until ->

My most abiding memory was driving up the valley to Abercwmboi to try and clear my welsh 08s in 1983. At that time the Coking plant was in full operation spewing thick orange smoke and steam into the atmosphere.

This was the infamous 'Phurnacite' plant, which ISTR was originally built by Powell Duffryn to produce smokeless fuel.

"Dante's Inferno" had nothing on "the furny" which contaminated everything for miles around (including the local population).

Working there certainly didn't contribute to the health of the workers, including my aunt's partner who passed away far too young.

It was visiting her at Cardiff Road opposite the 'Navvy Yard' and her local contacts that got me almost unrestricted access to the NCB Mountain Ash network.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Taken by Andy Kirkham of this parish.

Yes, sorry I should have credited Andy in my post with the image.  Now corrected.

There are some excellent sites dedicated to Welsh Industrial Archaeology and history such as this, also the social blogs where can be found wonderful photos from the early days of collieries for example - a lot of work has gone into creating an open window into the past, for which we should be grateful.

Yes, sorry I should have credited Andy in my post with the image.  Now corrected.

There are some excellent sites dedicated to Welsh Industrial Archaeology and history such as this, also the social blogs where can be found wonderful photos from the early days of collieries for example - a lot of work has gone into creating an open window into the past, for which we should be grateful.

I once swore never to sign up to 'Facebook' - but have done, and use it to access many of the historical sites relating to various towns in the South Wales valleys; and farther afield.

There are some excellent, unpublished photos, and information on these sites / sub-forums.

Brian R

I've seen this photo before. It is an excellent view blocker and such a refreshing change from bridges and tunnel mouths.

At first glance I thought it was a model!  Very inspiring picture, just right for a small industrial layout.

• 1 year later...

I never met Ralph Bowden, as he left Cwmtillery in '71 - but I do remember he was affectionately remembered within the Church- not always a given! Then Chris Gwilliam was Vicar for three years, followed by my father who did ten years (picking up Six Bells along the way) before moving to Cwmcarn for a few years before he retired.

Chris Gwilliam is now living across the channel in France.

He has recently posted a number of his South wales railway photos on a FB Group of which I am a moderator.

Brian R

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

He has recently posted a number of his South wales railway photos on a FB Group of which I am a moderator.

Brian R

I think I may have recently joined that group. There are at least three other priests in it.

• Like 1

I am struggling to find any views of the early locomotive shed at Lady Windsor Colliery,  Ynysybwl - other than the postcard view below (shed centre base).

I've tried several very good colliery / local websites but no joy.  I have not been able to search any social media sites as I am not signed up.

If anyone can anyone point me in the right direction for further views / info regarding this shed it would be appreciated.

Tony

post-17823-0-00536700-1507068574_thumb.jpg

I think I may have recently joined that group. There are at least three other priests in it.

It would be very kind if you would mention me (Giles, son of Rev Brian Favell, also a railway enthusiast) to Chris, and send him my warm regards.

Brian R