High Level Question

I really like the look of the LNER (ex GER) Y5 from High Level and wonder if anyone here could answer a couple of questions about it.

As a relatively inexperienced loco kit builder I'm wondering how High Level approach the shaping of the Y5's boiler. With its 'child bearing hips' rather than a conventional cylindrical boiler I imagine this could be quite a challenge for a newbie. Can anyone here shed light on how the shape is achieved?

Also, has any one managed to fit a DCC chip inside one? It's quite a small loco and wonder how much space there might be inside it for a DCC chip.  

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

I haven't built this particular High Level kit, but my second etched loco was the High Level RSH 0-4-0 saddle tank and I found this relatively straightforward, albeit with some help from dad (this was probably over 10 years ago now), but that was mainly with things like quartering and pick ups, the built elements were excellent as were the instructions, particularly those for the rolling of the tank.

There's an account of construction of one on the Scalefour Society forum: http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=425&hilit=y5&start=350

This has a very good account of the building of the tank and shows the design to good advantage, from this post:

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=425&hilit=y5&start=350#p15809

They're lovely kits.

Adam

As for the DCC chip, why not ask Chris at High-Level.  He's likely to know if its been done.

If you can get a chip in a 2mm scale terrier, a 4mm Neilson should be ok, shouldn't it? I'd fill the space used with lead myself, but that's just me...

Adam

Evening Dave

I've not built the Y5 but have built the 12" Neilson from HighLevel, very similar.

It was the second full Loco kit i've built & it was a joy to build with good instructions well fitting parts. I only deviated slightly when it came to doing the saddle tank (same as the Y5). From memory the kit more or less says to form the lower tank curves fully by annealing them & forming them over bar of suitable radius until they match the front & end tank profiles, locate on the tabs & solder in place. What i ended up doing is not annealing the parts because the tank sides are half etch thickness & quite easy to form. I got a basic lower curve formed & then located it on the tabs on the tank assembly & using a short length of 1/8" bar i rolled down the tank side following the front & end profile forming the right contours. Then soldered the two sides in place leaving just the tabs which are filed off. You get two sets of tank sides in the kit just incase you run into any trouble, might be the same in the Y5 kit.

I hope that makes some sense.

Regards DCC here is a link to my build at that stage of its construction.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90024-the-mill/?p=1698154

My be of some use.

Cheers

Chris

I have built the Black Hawthorn and the RSH both of which I managed to install TCS Z2 chips in them there is actually more than enough space to get them in. So as an answer I would say yes to getting the chips into the loco!

Guys

Thanks very much for the advice and the links. Reading about the construction of the kit has answered some of my concerns about the shaping of the boiler. While an interesting challenge it is one I feel I'd like to have a go at. Adam's link to the Scalefour thread proved to be fascinating read, not just about the Y5 kit and its DCC potential but also as an insight into the world of 18.83 modeller... 

I see High Level will be at the Ally Pally exhibition in March. Looks like I'll be heading their way! 

Guys

Thanks very much for the advice and the links. Reading about the construction of the kit has answered some of my concerns about the shaping of the boiler. While an interesting challenge it is one I feel I'd like to have a go at. Adam's link to the Scalefour thread proved to be fascinating read, not just about the Y5 kit and its DCC potential but also as an insight into the world of 18.83 modeller... 

I see High Level will be at the Ally Pally exhibition in March. Looks like I'll be heading their way! 

"An insight"...  Gosh!  These are just my ramblings recorded in a few electrons for the amusement of others :-)

I'm extremely pleased that you have found the thread on building the Coffee Pot to be helpful. 

The thread continues further here in one called "Another Round".  http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2506   I hit the limit size on the forum software that we were running for a single thread, and had to continue in Volume 2...

I finished the weathering of the locomotive a little while ago.  This is what the finished article looks like:

post-3210-0-75677800-1455176553_thumb.jpg

post-3210-0-22888800-1455176636_thumb.jpg

post-3210-0-88057500-1455176665_thumb.jpg

post-3210-0-88057500-1455176665_thumb.jpg

And, yes it is DCC.  You'll see from my blog on the Scalefour Forum that there is plenty of room to insert a chip inside the boiler and under the motor.  I drilled two small holes in the bottom of the boiler and fed the wires from the pickups through there.  It's a very slow and steady runner as it has a 108:1 (I recall) gearbox.

Thanks for the interest,

Flymo

post-3210-0-15761000-1455176738_thumb.jpg

Archived