Thanks to Jim and Nick, I have placed an order at Narrow Planet for Dodo plates, and works plates for my intended WNR loco stud.  Now this means that I now must build everything on the list (but only the list)!

Glad to have been of assistance, but you're going to need a fair sized loco shed to house that little lot!  How does that fit into the 'Grand Design'?  :dontknow:  :paint:

Jim

No. 1, 0-4-2T, Neilson & Co, designed by SW Johnson based upon GER Class T7/CV&HR No.1, 1877

This is the Castle Aching-Achingham Branch Passenger Locomotives.  We will have a 4 or 5-coach branch set.  Eventually I would like these to be if 1870s vintage. This will be the branch engine.  I have assumed that it would be the inhabitant of the Castle Aching engine shed, but it might have been stabled at Achingham.

I like 4-coupled passenger tanks, and this one is appropriate; a branch passenger engine for a GER-backed East Anglian independent.  

No. 2, 0-6-0ST, Fox Walker, 1877,

As the Wolfringham Branch Locomotive this should potter to and fro between Castle Aching and the flat, desolate coastline at Wolfringham, with, perhaps an mixed train of 2 or 3 old shabby coaches from the 1860s and 2-3 goods wagons. 

It is appropriate as representing the motive power of another small East Anglian line, the Great Yarmouth & Stalham Light Railway, a M&GNJ locomotive.

No. 3, 0-6-0T, Sharp Stewart, 1872

A Goods Locomotive for short workings on the mainline, but also, I should think, the Achingham branch goods.

She is of a type supplied to some of the smaller pre-Grouping companies. The Directors of the WNR seem to like Sharp Stewarts.

No. 4, 2-4-0, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, 1873

A mainline passenger locomotive of a type supplied to the Cambrian and the Furness, she will run the length of the line, taking the 6-wheelers between Castle Aching and the North Norfolk coast, via the bustling Birchoverhams.

No. 5, 0-6-0, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, 1875

A second mainline goods locomotive, taking the longer services, but also seen on passenger work. Seen also on the Furness, Cambrian and North Staffs, here we shall represent the 'lost' member of the class.

No.6, 2-4-2T, Sharp Stewart, 1884

So thrilled was he with his ride on the Rhenish railways behind just such a locomotive, and learning it was a Sharp Stewart, on his return home, WN Director, Lord Erstwhile, immediately placed a order for one.

Another mainline passenger type.

No. 7, 4-4-0, Neilson & Co & 4-wheel tender, 1866

An Intermediate or mixed traffic 4-4-0, whereby Neilsons produced a smaller version of Cowan's GNoSR K Class. The WN have this locomotive because I liked it.  She will take mainline goods and passenger services.

No. 8, 2-4-0, Melton Constable/Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, ExCMR-E&MR (Second-hand, 1895)

Another Intermediate type and an opportunistic purchase from the neighbouring M&GNJR to meet the increasing traffic levels on the WNR as the Century draws to is close.  She is like a 2-4-0 version of the Neilson 4-4-0 and will take mainline goods and passenger services.  Though originally a Cornish engine, she found her way to the Lynn & Fakenham.  Remarkably, she used to resemble WN No.9, of identical heritage.

No. 9, 0-6-0T, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, ExCMR-E&MR (Second-hand, 1899)

Another opportunist purchase from the M&GNJR, to cope with the increasingly heavy coal traffic from Wolfringham Staithes, so a funny little side tank, with a 4-wheel tender and a string of mainly dumb-buffer coal wagons.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

No. 1, 0-4-2T, Neilson & Co, designed by SW Johnson based upon GER Class T7/CV&HR No.1, 1877  

Getting off to a good start there!

A splendid minor railway stud there - typical rag-tag-bag of opportunistic purchases of second-hand engines, no two the same, no economies of standardisation! (Although there is a strong Sharp, Stewart theme - would that lead to any interchangeability of parts or availability of spares?) At least your directors seem to have made sensible choices - remarkable gentlemen!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

The Narrow Planet plates will not disappoint, provided that you have strong spectacles, and don't inhale until they are firmly affixed.

Buying plates ahead of build is 'interesting'; I've still got two 16mm/ft sets where the build/rebuild programme never quite caught up!

Now, an idle enquiry, if I may: assuming that a short rake of GER six-wheelers survived in traffic into LNER days, what class of loco might have hauled them, from really in or around London?

Kevin

A fine loco stud there, you can get a kit for the Furness/Cambrian E1 on shapeways, I beleive a kit for a 4mm fox walker is available from sonewhere (possibly craftsman?), the GNOSR 4-4-0 being present and correct, will the others be scratchbuilt or from kits?

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 1

The Narrow Planet plates will not disappoint, provided that you have strong spectacles, and don't inhale until they are firmly affixed.

Buying plates ahead of build is 'interesting'; I've still got two 16mm/ft sets where the build/rebuild programme never quite caught up!

Now, an idle enquiry, if I may: assuming that a short rake of GER six-wheelers survived in traffic into LNER days, what class of loco might have hauled them, from really in or around London?

Kevin

Well, Kevin, I've had most of these locos planned for some considerable time - the unplanned addition is the little 4-4-0. 

I'd started the project with the Neilson 0-4-2T and the Fox Walker 0-6-0ST in mind. 

The Sharp Stewart 0-6-0T arose from a topic in the pre-Grouping forum and the Rhenish Sharp Stewart 2-4-2T was suggested in this topic.

The ex-Cornwall Mineral locos, in both guises, I've long had my eyes on. 

I have long hankered after a Cambrian "Small passenger" type, and Knuckles of this parish has obliged with a 3-D printed body.  I also long aspired to a small-wheel Victorian 0-6-0, and had considered a Beyer Peacock, but in the end stuck with the Sharp Stewart family.

I just need to jolly well get on with them!  Perhaps having the works plates will help?

Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate the Locomotive Superintendent ....

post-25673-0-31117600-1501598933_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Kevin

LNER? London?

What are these strange things of which you speak?

I wonder how longer the 6-wheelers would have lasted there after Grouping?

There are a mainline coach, so the wilds of East Anglia might be more on the mark once 'cascaded'.

I don't know how long 4-wheel suburbans lasted on the commuter trains, but I would imagine that they would have been replaced by GE 50' non-corridor bogie coaches.

I will, however, have a bit of a look later. 

• Like 2

My childhood memories of the LNER are in the middle years of WW II after we'd returned from Plymouth and Southampton to Theydon Bois - until the V2s arrived when we again decamped down to north Cornwall until sometime before VE day.

My Grandfather travelled up to his job in Mountpleasant Post Office 6 days a week on the workmen's trains which seemed generally to be GER bodies with lowish seatbacks as full width partitions (until the half way point) and gaslit. I understood these to be from earlier carriages mounted on bogie underframes. I don't remember any Gresley quadarts I was familiar with later when working at Kings+.

We were fortunate to have an 'Aunty' and her daughter sharing our wartime house whose father was a Stratford driver living in Leytonstone.

He would take me on his N7 down to Epping to help on his allotment and sometimes ride an F6 (? I think) down to Ongar.

The Epping-Ongar had less improvised stock than the workmen's trains and seemed to live permanently down at Epping.

Not a very satisfactory answer.

dh

In Obstruction Danger by Adrian Vaughan is a section on the Fakenham accident of 1931. All the coaches involved were six wheelers. This does not surprise me, as the LNER was not a wealthy railway and was still using six wheelers in Manchester suburban trains in 1937, long after all the local LMS trains had become bogie stock.

I think the best stock on the LNER was reserved for the London area, and they decanted the junk to the rest of the system.

Someone was talking about doing 7mm scale GE four wheelers a bit back; I hope they come to pass as the LDEC bought some that were put on miners' trains and survived for many years. Apparently (in so far as the limited data lets us know) often in shocking condition with boarded-over windows and other signs of advanced decrepitude.

• RMweb Premium

The six wheeler brake third with the round top doors, wot I give a sketch of, was used to top and tail close coupled sets of bogies, made up as mr.runs as reqd. says, from remounted sixwheeler bodies. Most likely these would have lasted to ww2 era. Motive power probably an N7. I'd do a coach drawing, only I'm away from base due to school hols and grandaughters (looking at dinosaurs in Cardiff today)

As Northroader says, most, but not all suburban coaches were remounted one longer frames for bogie coach, 1914-24.

But, I have found you a couple!

J67 with 'Jazz train', Chingford, 1 June 1925 and G4 at Custom House, with Becton train, 15 July 1933.  I don't know, 'modern image', on this topic!

post-25673-0-92294600-1501612444_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-02705100-1501612524_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A fine loco stud there, you can get a kit for the Furness/Cambrian E1 on shapeways, I beleive a kit for a 4mm fox walker is available from sonewhere (possibly craftsman?), the GNOSR 4-4-0 being present and correct, will the others be scratchbuilt or from kits?

Yes, indeed correct, Knuckes of this parish, aka Sparkshot Custom Creations, has recently added the E1 to his range: https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y9VNFTH6V/fr-e1-cambrian-spc-fud?optionId=63051105.  I was delighted. I am rubbing my coppers together.  He has yet to produce the tender.  I hope this will prove a fairly standard Sharp Stewart 4-wheel tender, because I can also use it for the two ex-Cornwall Minerals locos.

As to the others, well, no candidate for the Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 yet.  As my skills are fairly rudimentary, I am planning RTR bodges with styrene bodies in the main:

The Neilson 0-4-2T - Hornby 14XX

Fox Walker 0-6-0ST - Probably Electrotren 0-6-0T (not a great match)

Sharp Stewart 0-6-0T - Bachmann Pannier chassis

Sharp Stewart 2-4-2T - Bachmann L&Y Radial

Sharp Stewart 0-6-0T ex-CMR - Electrotren 0-6-0T

Sharp Stewart 2-4-0 ex-CMR rebuild - Bachmann Junior

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

.......................Now, an idle enquiry, if I may: assuming that a short rake of GER six-wheelers survived in traffic into LNER days, what class of loco might have hauled them, from really in or around London?.......

Ere Nearholmer. I hope you are not suggesting that a certain unfinished model of an N7 should be associated with scruffy old GER cattle trucks? I'll remind you that it will be specically a Hatfield (GN) shedded loco and as a well brought loco will expect to haul bogie coaches - at the least a Quad-art set.

Also what is all this about putting the "Paltry" board on the smokebox? If the loco is going downhill into Paltry it will go bunker first, so it can come up the hill from the stygian depths with the water comfortably over the firebox crown.

Talk later - I have a plan.

Chris H

• Like 2

Thanks to Jim and Nick, I have placed an order at Narrow Planet for Dodo plates, and works plates for my intended WNR loco stud.  Now this means that I now must build everything on the list (but only the list)!

The Narrow Planet service is excellent. I hope you haven't made my mistake though. I needed a plate for "Watkinson No2", but was distracted during ordering. What I ordered was "Wilkinson No2". Wilkinson being my partner. So to avoid wasting the plate I got her to choose a loco kit and a livery for the loco of the suddenly discovered Wilkinson's Chemical Works off stage right on the layout. Phew, could have wasted £2.50 there.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 4

... So to avoid wasting the plate I got [my partner] to choose a loco kit and a livery for the loco of the suddenly discovered Wilkinson's Chemical Works off stage right on the layout. Phew, could have wasted £2.50 there.

I awarded you a Craftsmanship/Clever as in 'yer Crafty owd booger'

Very admiring of your quick-wittedness.

dh

Ed for 'caps'

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

The Narrow Planet service is excellent. I hope you haven't made my mistake though. I needed a plate for "Watkinson No2", but was distracted during ordering. What I ordered was "Wilkinson No2". Wilkinson being my partner. So to avoid wasting the plate I got her to choose a loco kit and a livery for the loco of the suddenly discovered Wilkinson's Chemical Works off stage right on the layout. Phew, could have wasted £2.50 there.

Thank goodness.  I am sure that the cost of a new loco kit and any necessary rolling stock, track-work and industrial premises, was worth it to save the £2.50!

For my part, had Narrow Planet produced, and I accidentally ordered, a set of plates for The Memsahib, No.1, I would have immediately nominated a locomotive to carry them! 

• Like 4

For my part, had Narrow Planet produced, and I accidentally ordered, a set of plates for The Memsahib, No.1, I would have immediately nominated a locomotive to carry them! 

I have detected something of a yearning in this CA thread for a colonial railway experience in west Norfolk before.

But are you sure you have chosen the right gauge Sir ?

If testing for the sub continent, you might even opt for broad gauge - if it fitted your PR ideal of The Memsahib, No.1

dh

• Like 2

If I get around to fitting the plates to the 16mm loco that is supposed to be named after my SWMBO, I shall point out that it is schmalspur, slender gauge.

Under no circumstance would I use the word 'broad', for fear of starting a misunderstanding.

K

• Like 1