• RMweb Premium

Patrick O'Brian makes use of this joke as well. One can imagine it being almost standard Naval issue. Jane's had two brothers in the Navy. Francis (who as a Captain RN just missed Trafalgar) rose eventually to Admiral of the Fleet. Charles Austin died still on active service as a Rear Admiral at the age of 73!

Bye-the-bye, there is a portrait of Francis showing a considerable resemblance to that of Jane used on the new £10 note!

http://austenfamilyalbumquilt.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/block-12-waves-of-sea-for-francis-austen.html

Will Castle Aching benefit from having some Naval Officers residing in the vicinity, and possibly even on the Railway Board?

(One thinks of Admiral Elliott and the SDLUR.)

Drawing together some recent themes, it is a truth universally acknowledged that the three most useless things on a yacht are a billiard table, an umbrella and a naval officer.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hum... looks like Hampstead to me. How the artist who created an allegorical masterpiece in Work could also turn out this has long worried me.

I had to look up 'blue light'. Aubrey would be a tedious hero were it not for Maturin, who as a Catalan-Irish Catholic I take to be closer to O'Brien himself.

Definitely 'ampstead 'eaf. You could almost see the dome of St Paul's if it wasn't fer the 'ouses in between.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ponders........... the replacement stagecoach service, how much longer will the journey be if I travel on a Sunday?

That would be the 107 to Ponders End. It would take you the best part of the afternoon.

Could I suggest as the CA set book for this term: "To the Lighthouse".

From what I can remember, that rambles off in all sorts of directions, according to the trains of thoughts of the characters, and although it has a sort of narrative, that is anything but the main point.

Travelling hopefully on the 107, being far, far better than arriving at Ponders End.

And, what is 'the better part of an afternoon'? Just after lunch, when there is some anticipation of tasks ahead being neatly completed; or, at the closing of the shops, and the putting up of feet?

K

PS: it's got boats in it, which should be good for the sailors among us.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The best part of an afternoon could well be spent operating one of the best garden railways with the sun shinning, the promise of tea and cakes to come

Don

• Like 4

Thinking on GE coaches, thanks to the article kindly provided by Stewart Ingram and the examples kindly shown to me by Jonathan Wealleans, I reckon that the Ratio Midland Suburbans can be used to represent the 1897-1898 diagrams that D&S Kits produced. 

The Ratio Midland Suburbans have deep waist panels, and no beading at the base.  As, I think, Stephen (Compound) has pointed out, this does not make them a great match for many other prototypes.  The generous Midland Third Class compartment width is also a factor.

Laid against my few GE coach drawings, they were not a good match.  I reckon these were earlier designs than those used by D&S.  Reducing the D&S box drawings to approximately 4mm scale (the drawings now scale out at 32'), I tried again.

These later coaches have a deeper waist and more generous compartment spacing and the Midland sides were a pretty good match.

While I have 4 4-wheel and 5 6-wheel West Norfolk coaches to finish first, I am pretty confident that I now have a workable plan for a GE rake.

Thanks for all the help and information received.

post-25673-0-16011500-1500542183_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-36740700-1500542239_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-08775700-1500542265_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-14942200-1500542287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Drawing together some recent themes, it is a truth universally acknowledged that the three most useless things on a yacht are a billiard table, an umbrella and a naval officer.

Without wishing to tempt fate, if either billiard tables or umbrellas have been discussed, I missed them...

The best part of an afternoon could well be spent operating one of the best garden railways with the sun shinning, the promise of tea and cakes to come

Don

The opening paragraph of Portrait of a Lady applies here: 'Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea... in what I should call the perfect middle of a splendid summer afternoon.'

Well, if you'd asked me, I wouldn't have been expecting to quote Henry James on here. What a cultured times we live in!

• Like 4

Thinking on GE coaches, thanks to the article kindly provided by Stewart Ingram and the examples kindly shown to me by Jonathan Wealleans, I reckon that the Ratio Midland Suburbans can be used to represent the 1897-1898 diagrams that D&S Kits produced. 

The Ratio Midland Suburbans have deep waist panels, and no beading at the base.  As, I think, Stephen (Compound) has pointed out, this does not make them a great match for many other prototypes.  The generous Midland Third Class compartment width is also a factor.

Laid against my few GE coach drawings, they were not a good match.  I reckon these were earlier designs than those used by D&S.  Reducing the D&S box drawings to approximately 4mm scale (the drawings now scale out at 32"), I tried again.

These later coaches have a deeper waist and more generous compartment spacing and the Midland sides were a pretty good match.

While I have 4 4-wheel and 5 6-wheel West Norfolk coaches to finish first, I am pretty confident that I now have a workable plan for a GE rake.

Thanks for all the help and information received.

Hmm, I think this would be a later type than the GER 4-wheelers sold to the Kent & East Sussex.  They had very characteristic round-cornered panelling on the upper parts of the sides, and square cornered beading at the waist and below.

Regards,

Tom

attachicon.gifWaterhouse_Key-049_1426482i.jpg

"Now, ###### RTR, none of you are leaving until you've assembled at least one plastic wagon kit."

Hope you're letting them off with something easy, like a Dapol 16T Mineral Wagon.  Cheap too, only about £42 for the whole class!

(Next week, its Painting and Weathering...)

See you got the attention of the Hash Fairies!

• Like 2

Hmm, I think this would be a later type than the GER 4-wheelers sold to the Kent & East Sussex.  They had very characteristic round-cornered panelling on the upper parts of the sides, and square cornered beading at the waist and below.

Regards,

Tom

Yes, these were of 1860s vintage IIRC, sold off c.1900.  I'd like the WNR to have a couple of these as hand-me-downs. 

I reckon the drawings I have are more likely 1880s-early 1890s.

If I can master Silhouette, these older designs are open to me.

In the meantime, the ones I am looking at for these Ratio conversions - that D&S made - are late 1890s. 

These have small radius corners to all 4 corners on blind panels. However, windows look as if the corners are squared (drop lights and quarter lights, but not the surrounds to the drop-lights, which are as per the blind panels), so the Ratio sides may need this modification.  They also need a moulding strip along the bottom of the sides to add and the Midland grab handles will need to be cut away and replaced with the long GE type. 

Other than that, it is just a case of cutting and shutting and re-panelling some blank spaces and the dreary routine of filling, sanding, priming and repeating that I had with the Triangs.

post-25673-0-80716300-1500547548.jpg

post-25673-0-32719300-1500547575.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

GER six-wheelers .......

Came across this while pursuing my deliberately old-fashioned studies.

I've no idea what it is, but I wonder if it could be made using bits of ratio GWR four wheeled composites.

Thanks, Kevin.  Yes, I have these drawings (1950s RM).  I also have some of a set of 6-wheeler non-clerestories that appear to be of an older design. I put them in a folder a few weeks ago.  Last I saw of them!  I probably did check them against Ratio GW sides, and Triang sides, but with what conclusion I cannot now recall.

I believe that these were the drawings of which I received hard-copies in the post from our very own Northroader. I took them out of my "West Norfolk" folder and put them in a new "Great Eastern" drawings folder, which I then promptly mislaid.  It'll turn up and I will use the drawings as the basis for both older GE and WN stock once I join the ranks of the Sihouetteers. 

I don't know when the clerestory 6-wheelers came out - perhaps they were a late iteration, contemporary with the bogie clerestories.  I am tempted by the idea of combining this 6-wheel clerestory All Third with a Clerestory bogie Brake Composite to for a portion of a further GE train at some point.

I don't know the date of the CCT either, but I suspect it is post 1905. 

P.S. I find that I had scanned them! The other page Northroader provided is below.

You can see from the lower drawing, of the composite, that this is an older design with square lower corners and larger radius upper corners to the quarter lights.  From what I can tell this is an 1880s style, though I have seen examples built into the 1890s. D&S produced at least a Third of this ilk.

As I mentioned, when laid against these drawings, the Ratio Midland Surburban sides were found not to be a good match, either in terms of horizontal or vertical divisions, but looking at the photograph of the Third (a later example, of 1891) the waist panels seem to have become quite deep.  A transitional style?

EDIT: I find that D&S used to make a model of the CCT, the prototype was built from 1910.

post-25673-0-43675700-1500549672_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-61128400-1500549794_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-98556500-1500549845.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

The main reason that one caught my eye was because it has a clerestory. A good, untidy-looking, pre-group train needs at least one, plus other coaches of subtly different heights, widths and lengths. Uniformity seems to have been reserved for the very poshest trains.

K

• Like 1

The main reason that one caught my eye was because it has a clerestory. A good, untidy-looking, pre-group train needs at least one, plus other coaches of subtly different heights, widths and lengths. Uniformity seems to have been reserved for the very poshest trains.

K

The body style of the 6-wheel clerestory is closer to the D&S late 1890s stock.  The compartment widths are not a match for the Ratio sides, however.

I had thought that I might build a matching rake (!) of 6-wheelers, with 2 Brake Third, 2 Lav. Thirds and 2 Luggage Lav. Composites.

My second rake would use 1 each of these, and combine them with the 6-wheel clerestory Third and a bogie Clerestory Luggage Lav. Composite. 

Earlier designs and greater variety are currently beyond my ability to adapt RTR and plastic kit parts.

Maybe I should just build the second rake?!?

I reckon I can use a surplus Triang roof for the clerestory (depends on width) and I think the Ratio LNWR 8' bogies would be a reasonable match for the GE ones on the bogie composite.

How does that sound to the Parish:

6-Wheel Brake Third / 6-Wheel Lav. Third / 6-Wheel Luggage Lav. Composite / 6-Wheel (clerestory) Lav. Third / Bogie (clerestory) Luggage Lav. Composite?

EDIT, the obvious flaw in my plan is no second brake vehicle!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Uniformity seems to have been reserved for the very poshest trains.

Well, I don't think they came posher than the West Coast 2pm 'Corridor' - the premier express of the Premier Line - with its mix of arch roofed and clerestory carriages, with different panelling styles, or later with elliptical roofs apart from the clerestory diners - at least with consistent panelling style...

• Like 2

K

And mismatched roof profiles too!

As a distraction from all these pre-raff polychromatic drippy dames, and in the spirit of spreading a little extra cultural consciousness, I thought a few appropriate artistic photographs wouldn't go amiss, here's one....

post-21933-0-76144900-1500556880.jpg

"Ricking the reed", from Peter Henry Emerson's first photographic album Life and Landscape on the Norfolk Broads, 1886.

• Like 7

The body style of the 6-wheel clerestory is closer to the D&S late 1890s stock.  The compartment widths are not a match for the Ratio sides, however.

I had thought that I might build a matching rake (!) of 6-wheelers, with 2 Brake Third, 2 Lav. Thirds and 2 Luggage Lav. Composites.

My second rake would use 1 each of these, and combine them with the 6-wheel clerestory Third and a bogie Clerestory Luggage Lav. Composite. 

Earlier designs and greater variety are currently beyond my ability to adapt RTR and plastic kit parts.

Maybe I should just build the second rake?!?

I reckon I can use a surplus Triang roof for the clerestory (depends on width) and I think the Ratio LNWR 8' bogies would be a reasonable match for the GE ones on the bogie composite.

How does that sound to the Parish:

6-Wheel Brake Third / 6-Wheel Lav. Third / 6-Wheel Luggage Lav. Composite / 6-Wheel (clerestory) Lav. Third / Bogie (clerestory) Luggage Lav. Composite?

EDIT, the obvious flaw in my plan is no second brake vehicle!

Sounds good, esp if you're going down the CAD-CAM (aka Shilhouette cutter) route.  Duplicating a second brake vehicle would be a whizz in such circumstances.

I'm increasingly drawn to the idea of getting one of these myself, as I'd rather draw out the design and let the machine get on with it, rather than try and cut a multitude of tiny things with a dangerously sharp knife close to my fingertips!

• Like 1

Re: 4726.

No idea whether or not the GER had any, but trains always look better with a "full brake", ideally a Stroudley one, with picture windows and duckets.

Aha! This is preserved at Chacewater!

This appears an earlier style - at a guess 1880s - than the drawing I posted, and all the better for that.  Again, though, I am in territory that would need Silhouette cutting to realise efficiently, and I am finding the software impenetrable and I can't actually budget for a cutter at present!

I really need to utilise my stash of second-hand Ratio kits.  Saving up for the wheels and the fittings is enough to cope with at present!

• Like 1