• RMweb Gold

be still my aching heart for I have seen trains on Castle Aching   :scared:

I had believed this to be a improvement class in Victorian painters  :jester:

Nick

We have barely touched on Victorian era Art Movements so far.

It is nice to see how the trains will fit the plan. Incidentally the gap between the centre run round road and the extra loop is because I was expecting things like carriage cleaning, load and unloading to take place along that road.

Don

• Like 3

We have barely touched on Victorian era Art Movements so far.

It is nice to see how the trains will fit the plan. Incidentally the gap between the centre run round road and the extra loop is because I was expecting things like carriage cleaning, load and unloading to take place along that road.

Don

It is also where the engine shed is bolted on to the side of the train shed.

Originally this was to be no more than a kick-back siding from the TT to the shed (e.g. Rothbury), but I was given the good advice to extend it to form a loop (e.g. Alston), thus providing the de facto run-round loop, allowing the WN to clutter up the de jure loop with loose vehicles like NPCs!

post-25673-0-75789900-1500407286.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Malmesbury was another station where this was done. What looked like the runaround loop was cluttered up with any old stuff, and once they'd woken the branch loco up, the shed road was the runaround.

post-26540-0-31595900-1500412542.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is also where the engine shed is bolted on to the side of the train shed.

Originally this was to be no more than a kick-back siding from the TT to the shed (e.g. Rothbury), but I was given the good advice to extend it to form a loop (e.g. Alston), thus providing the de facto run-round loop, allowing the WN to clutter up the de jure loop with loose vehicles like NPCs!

Just as well I left a gap then.

Don

Its almost tomorrow, here's another pre-raff.

The prize goat leapt over the loading dock rails and escaped to the freezing marshes.

Free!!!!

post-21933-0-83943200-1500417927.jpg

Holman Hunt has a lot to answer for...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My view of JA (that one, not the other!) was forever coloured by this Punch cartoon...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8bfmIgIMAA53Eu.jpg

But remember, if there's ferns and/or urns, its art, not smut!

The cartoon may be closer to the truth than we imagine.Jane actually did sneak a dirty joke into Mansfield Park. Mary Crawford is speaking: Certainly, my home at my uncle’s brought me acquainted with a circle of admirals.  Of Rears and Vices, I saw enough.  Now, do not be suspecting me of a pun, I entreat.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 4

The cartoon may be closer to the truth than we imagine.Jane actually did sneak a dirty joke into Mansfield Park. Mary Crawford is speaking: Certainly, my home at my uncle’s brought me acquainted with a circle of admirals.  Of Rears and Vices, I saw enough.  Now, do not be suspecting me of a pun, I entreat.

Patrick O'Brian makes use of this joke as well. One can imagine it being almost standard Naval issue. Jane's had two brothers in the Navy. Francis (who as a Captain RN just missed Trafalgar) rose eventually to Admiral of the Fleet. Charles Austin died still on active service as a Rear Admiral at the age of 73!

Bye-the-bye, there is a portrait of Francis showing a considerable resemblance to that of Jane used on the new £10 note!

http://austenfamilyalbumquilt.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/block-12-waves-of-sea-for-francis-austen.html

Will Castle Aching benefit from having some Naval Officers residing in the vicinity, and possibly even on the Railway Board?

(One thinks of Admiral Elliott and the SDLUR.)

• Like 3

Patrick O'Brian makes use of this joke as well. One can imagine it being almost standard Naval issue. Jane's had two brothers in the Navy. Francis (who as a Captain RN just missed Trafalgar) rose eventually to Admiral of the Fleet. Charles Austin died still on active service as a Rear Admiral at the age of 73!

Bye-the-bye, there is a portrait of Francis showing a considerable resemblance to that of Jane used on the new £10 note!

http://austenfamilyalbumquilt.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/block-12-waves-of-sea-for-francis-austen.html

Will Castle Aching benefit from having some Naval Officers residing in the vicinity, and possibly even on the Railway Board?

Fascinating stuff.  Well the West Norfolk runs in Nelson country, so you never know!

My favourite Patrick O'Brian quip is why the dog-watch is so called.  That and the sinful goat, of course.

• RMweb Premium

Admiral Constantine Moorsom was chairman of the London & North Western in the 1850s, having been Secretary to the Board of the London & Birmingham while his brother William was on Robert Stephenson's team of engineers. He had also been Chair of the Birmingham & Gloucester until it was taken over by the Midland - again in a double-act with William, who was employed to engineer a cheaper route than Brunel had proposed - and thus was responsible for the Lickey incline.

Constantine Moorsom was nominally at Trafalgar, being on the books of his father Admiral Robert Moorsom's ship, but was in fact at school - readers of Patrick O'Brien will be familiar with this particular Naval fiddle to clock up time at sea without actually going to sea. He did take part in the bombardment of Algiers after the end of the Napoleonic wars - the story of which is also fictionalised by O'Brien.

EDIT: O'Brien's research is said to be second-to-none. However, when I met that joke (I forget which book it's in) my assumption was that he'd got it from Mansfield Park.

Edited by Compound2632

Admiral Constantine Moorsom was chairman of the London & North Western in the 1850s, having been Secretary to the Board of the London & Birmingham while his brother William was on Robert Stephenson's team of engineers. He had also been Chair of the Birmingham & Gloucester until it was taken over by the Midland - again in a double-act with William, who was employed to engineer a cheaper route than Brunel had proposed - and thus was responsible for the Lickey incline.

Constantine Moorsom was nominally at Trafalgar, being on the books of his father Admiral Robert Moorsom's ship but was in fact at school - readers of Patrick O'Brien will be familiar with this particular Naval fiddle to clock up time at sea without actually going to sea. He did take part in the bombardment of Algiers after the end of the Napoleonic wars - the story of which is also fictionalised by O'Brien.

EDIT: O'Brien's research is said to be second-to-none. However, when I met that joke (I forget which book it's in) my assumption was that he'd got it from Mansfield Park.

The key Aubrey-Maturin relationship and the importance of music is foreshadowed in the Captain Maryatt novels, see e.g. The King's Own.  Though perhaps more from the 'Blue Light' tradition, with which the essentially Eighteenth Century Squire Weston character of Aubrey is in conflict, Maryatt was a contemporary voice.  

point of order the daily improvement class is missing

Nick

Ford Maddox Brown, A West Norfolk Autumn Afternoon, 1852

Interesting in showing the landscape through which the West Norfolk Railway was soon to be built.

post-25673-0-63706100-1500489713_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The key Aubrey-Maturin relationship and the importance of music is foreshadowed in the Captain Maryatt novels, see e.g. The King's Own.  Though perhaps more from the 'Blue Light' tradition, with which the essentially Eighteenth Century Squire Weston character of Aubrey is in conflict, Maryatt was a contemporary voice.  

Interesting in showing the landscape through which the West Norfolk Railway was soon to be built.

Hum... looks like Hampstead to me. How the artist who created an allegorical masterpiece in Work could also turn out this has long worried me.

I had to look up 'blue light'. Aubrey would be a tedious hero were it not for Maturin, who as a Catalan-Irish Catholic I take to be closer to O'Brien himself.

Hum... looks like Hampstead to me. How the artist who created an allegorical masterpiece in Work could also turn out this has long worried me.

I had to look up 'blue light'. Aubrey would be a tedious hero were it not for Maturin, who as a Catalan-Irish Catholic I take to be closer to O'Brien himself.

Oh, but no!  Aubrey's fallibilities, combined with his good nature, make him a most attractive character as well as the perfect foil for Maturin.

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm not going to get left out of this Pre-Raff business.

attachicon.gifMillais Vale of Rest.jpg

The residents' fears of an influx of rowdy drunken navvies proved groundless.

Well, this links to two CA topics discussed in recent months - firstly the potential for pilgrim traffic to the shrine commemorating the appearance of Our Lady to the Saxon Lady of the Manor c. 1060 and secondly the parlous state of the WNR's finances. It has been mentioned that the company is in the hands of the Receivers and it's a miracle it got built in the first place.

• Like 3

If you want to have contemporary relevance, the route MUST pass through the gable end of the building in front of the lounging couple AND obliterate much of the landscape further on!

@ Andy K:  What I want to know is why two of the woozy nymphs appear to be carrying yards of ale, and another a vaping device?

Edit for repetition.  I'd be a total flop at Just A Minute!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

Aah the Norfolk fringes.............................. Hampstead.

Hat, coat gone!

• Like 1