OO gauge 12mm spoke wagon wheels For K's kit's

Good afternoon all, looking for two pair of the old OO scale 12mm spoke, or three hole wagon wheels with the round ( not spiked) ends on the axle. Jackson Romford ? If anyone knows of any place that may have them, and willing to ship international please let me know. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Markits now sell the former Jackson/Romford wheels, link here http://www.markits.com/default.html The wheels you are looking for start with ref 'MRJ' in the list.  They don't appear to offer the rounded end axles any more though, at least not according to their list and I have no idea whether they ship overseas, but I'm sure if you e-mail them with your exact requirements they should be able to help you.

HTH

Moxy

Good afternoon all, looking for two pair of the old OO scale 12mm spoke, or three hole wagon wheels with the round ( not spiked) ends on the axle. Jackson Romford ? If anyone knows of any place that may have them, and willing to ship international please let me know. 

You would be better using the pinpoint axles and fitting brass bearings in the kit axleboxes. The bearings are available from markits, Alan Gibson or Wizard models, and probably others.

Regards

I had no idea that a conversion was ever made to upgrade these K's kit's. But I believe what you are describing are the M83 or the M84 2mm "romford" put out by Markits ? One set is shouldered , the other is not. I did find a pair of each on ebay.

The conversion to pinpoint bearings with pinpoint axle wheelsets is strictly DIY to the best of my knowledge. Very commonly performed on K's and a great many other early wagon and bogie kits to produce a free rolling vehicle. Like many others in those impecunious times I machined the round axle ends to pinpoint for the minimum outlay, only the brass pinpoint bearing inserts to purchase. The old Romford three hole disc wagon wheel still looks as well as any modern OO version.

As all have said fitting pinpoint bearings along with Romford/Markit metal wheels whose axles have pin points is the best method, the waisted bearings I have found the easiest to fit.

If you really want a set of 12 mm with rounded axles I should have some in my wheel box

The conversion to pinpoint bearings with pinpoint axle wheelsets is strictly DIY to the best of my knowledge. Very commonly performed on K's and a great many other early wagon and bogie kits to produce a free rolling vehicle. Like many others in those impecunious times I machined the round axle ends to pinpoint for the minimum outlay, only the brass pinpoint bearing inserts to purchase. The old Romford three hole disc wagon wheel still looks as well as any modern OO version.

It's good to know that I am on the right track then (pun intended). I guess my question may seem a bit odd then , but the biggest problem I have is living in the states where OO gauge does not have much of a calling. Well, perhaps with the exception of the Thomas the Tank engine series that my son has ( I suspect his rolling stock lean more on the OO side then HO). I have been doing HO for years, and always wanted to break into OO simply because British steam engines are some of the most handsome things I have ever seen, Once again I am grateful for everyone's input to my questions :imsohappy:  

Archived